THIS LOOKS LIKE THIS COULD BE THE END FOR CAPCOM

Pages: first 12 next last

Newsbrief: Today, Capcom announced that at its most recent investor meeting, its shareholders voted to end the company's takeover defense -- which means that Capcom could now be acquired if a company buys up large amounts of its stock.

Many companies have defenses against a stock purchase takeover, and there are various schemes and strategies they can adopt to block a party from gaining control of the company by buying up its stock.

Capcom originally put such countermeasures in place in 2008 following a shareholder vote. This latest development won't stop the company's management from attempting to "react to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations," the company said in its statement.

Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/219300/Capcom_shareholders_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

- It’s a fire sale! Everything must go!

Really, I’m not too surprised about this, considering Capcom’s recent track record and their last financial report that was released around last year, this was bound to happen, but it’s just so hard to take all of this in right now.

With this latest announcement, it’s soon going to be a major bidding war in an attempt for other companies to get their hands on some of its major IP’s, such as Megaman, Street Fighter, Dead Rising and Resident Evil.

I’m hoping that Nintendo might throw their hats into the ring, but I seriously wonder who else might be interested… Either way, this doesn’t look too good…

We’re witnessing the death of a legend, my friends. A legend that I hope survives somewhat even after death.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Will someone make a modern Ghouls n' Ghosts game, at long last? That's all I care about.
I forgot that those guys even made that game.

(BTW, you will soon have Project Spark for that, pfft.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
This makes me so happy. No one else could possibly do a worse job at being Capcom than Capcom has done.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
So being stagnant as a company has finally bit them in the ass, huh? What a surprise.

It's a shame that this is where Capcom is headed, though.
I never really liked Capcom. All their games are way too hard.
author=Isrieri
Will someone make a modern Ghouls n' Ghosts game, at long last? That's all I care about.

Devil May Cry was obviously the spiritual successor to the G&G franchise.
Now if only someone who loves megaman takes over.
Hopefully Nintendo buys them out. They could probably do good things with a lot of their old school IPs.
I'm all for Capcom circling the drain, but this still doesn't mean much as we'd want it to. Doom and gloom stories about Capcom are all the rage amongst internet communities. No major video game site is even bothering to report it yet. Remember that, despite making some terrible choices lately and the takeover defense being over, Capcom is still very much a functonal company.

I'd say wait at least until year. Capcom is still too expensive for anyone to want to outright acquire other than, say, Microsoft or Nintendo (Microsoft with its infinite cash and Nintendo has enough money in reserves that a console failure isn't even a disaster for them). You're probably only going to see some shares getting snatched up in the short term until Capcom's net worth drops some more. I guess maybe that could be sooner or later if their games continue to bomb, though.

It's depressing to see this all unfolding, because Capcom has put out some of my favourite games of all time (though not in recent years), and they initiated this self destruct sequence themselves by churning out crap for several years now that's been the polar opposite of what everyone has been clammering for.

I sort of think that Capcom's situation is what made Square-Enix wake up a month or two back when they came out and said that they said that they made some crappy decisions lately and need to change.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
They haven't made a decent Resident Evil game since RE3/Nemesis, so to hell with them.
If BOF hadn't become a shame, I would be sad about this... and yeah, game industry is somehow finding herself again??? Maybe??? (I hope so...)
It isn't a fire sale yet, Capcom still has a lot of equity and their shares have, while dropping, aren't in a bad spot yet. If somebody wants to buy Capcom out now in a hostile takeover it'd still cost them a pretty penny. This isn't anything to worry about. (lol like anything capcom makes nowadays is worth caring about)

author=UPRC
I sort of think that Capcom's situation is what made Square-Enix wake up a month or two back when they came out and said that they said that they made some crappy decisions lately and need to change.

I think SE found out that they are fucking abysmal at HD game development back when FF14 required an emergency and expensive as fuck overhaul, or when a game a decade in development only has a two minute trailer to its name, or when they made a sequel largely out of discarded assets from the first game. I don't think anybody at SE barring Yoshi-P has the introspective ability to really try to find the real problem and correct it.
author=NewBlack
author=Isrieri
Devil May Cry was obviously the spiritual successor to the G&G franchise.

Actually that would be Maximo and it's sequel on PS2, Maximo even got remixed songs from ghosts n goblins and you get to run in your underwear, not to mention they're difficult.

Anyways, i'm the last capcom man standing apparently, i'm gonna be fan of their's til the very end. Although I have mixed feelings as of lately. Most of my favourite capcom franchises are getting spiritual successors from original developers that seem to surpass capcom products. We already got Bayonetta (new DMC), Evil Within (new resident evil) and Mighty no 9 (new megaman) That doesn't leave much for capcom to do...
The only reason I dislike Capcom is cause of no Megaman Legends 3. D;

I also dislike most of their games besides the old RE and DMC games.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=InfectionFiles
They haven't made a decent Resident Evil game since RE3/Nemesis, so to hell with them.
The hell was wrong with Resident Evil 4 or Code Veronica? Hell Revelations wasn't bad either.

It's quite sad really, yeah they might not be the best company but Capcom have been essential to the gaming industry. They birthed a lot of series/genres since their inception & I would hate to see them go.

I liked the new DmC & Dead Rising 3 is fun as hell. Street Fighter is still a fun game, Marvel VS Capcom 3, Ace Attorney & their back catalogue of ips is insane. I'm hoping Nintendo or Microsoft come in to buy them out. They have less money then what it cost to make GTAV so it would be a decent purchase.
author=Tau
It's quite sad really, yeah they might not be the best company but Capcom have been essential to the gaming industry. They birthed a lot of series/genres since their inception & I would hate to see them go.

Here's hoping that they do indeed just get scooped up by a larger developer rather than being left to literally die like THQ and have their assets sold off to developers like hungry vultures.

The more I think about it, the more I want Nintendo to be the one to make the eventual move. Breath of Fire, Mega Man, Okami, Phoenix Wright, Street Fighter? They could all work amazingly well as pure exclusives for Nintendo. I think it would be a massive win-win situation.
If Nintendo bought Capcom and started a Mega Man revival, I might have to get my first Nintendo console in over 20 years.
Nintendo are definitely considered the front runners and a lot of people’s number one overall choice as of right now, but we’ll see, though.
Pages: first 12 next last