[WEEKLY EVENT] IDEA BOUNCE!

Pages: first 12 next last

Hey, we've all been there - that terrible position of having some great ideas and needing to bounce them off someone to judge whether or not they're really as awesome as you think they are. Alas, no-one is around and you're stumped. What do?

That's where this small 'event' comes it. Just a two-day li'l thing to get the juices flowing.

What do?

Put a time (GMT) and day that you're free for idea bouncing within the two days (those being Saturday and Sunday of each week for the next month) and get ready to bounce!

I'll put you into a few time groups and give you a link where you can jump in and talk about your thoughts, ideas and bounce off other creative people of the gam mak persuasion.

So sign up and let the juices flow! Time to bounce~

- Marrend
(Sat 9am-1pm)
- CashmereCat
(Sat 12am-12pm, Sun 12am-3pm)
- pianotm
(Sat 1am-5am)
- nurvuss
(Sat 7pm-12am, flexible, evenings)
- LockeZ
(Sat/Sun 6pm-6am)

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think I can highly benefit from something like this about now.

I'll try Saturday 9AM - 1PM. I think that's the correct GMT equivalent.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
wow this is the best idea for an event ever, i'm definitely in

i am available Sat 12am-12pm, Sun 12am-3pm afaik
Wow, this sounds great. How do you sign up?
CashmereCat
author=Liberty
Sign up here!Put a time (GMT) and day that you're free for idea bouncing within the two days (those being Saturday and Sunday of this week) and get ready to bounce!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Fantastic idea! Hell yes, I'll sign up for this. Unfortunately, I'm only available evenings, 9PM and after until about 1AM Eastern Standard.
I usually am pretty convinced that my ideas are great, the problem is I have nobody to actually make a game out of them. =3
I'm down! Saturday 7pm-12am GMT would suit me, but I can be a bit flexible. GMT evenings are best for me.
unity
You're magical to me.
Unfortunately, I'll be out of town most of this weekend, but I will be here Sunday, so please sign me up for 6 to 10 GMT. I don't have any ideas of my own to bounce right this second (that could change between now and then tho XD) but I'd be happy to help bounce others' ideas and give feedback and opinions ^_^

EDIT: Actually, I just realized that, if things don't go just as I'd planned, I might not be back on Sunday. It might be best if I sit this one out. Sorry about that ^^;;
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Are we signing up to be bouncers, or bouncees, or both? I just wanted to be a bouncee.

I will be in EVERY SLOT oh wait I have to sleep, OK, I will be here 6PM to 6AM GMT both days, and I reserve the right to suddenly bust into other groups' time slots like Kramer.
Either/or.
I'll probably drop in one each room now and then just to check that no-one's pulled a mafia and killed off someone (;p) but what you discuss in the rooms when it comes to ideas, and who discusses is up to whoever is in the room. I'd suggest a round-robin - one idea discussed then moved to the next person - but if you only want to help bounce ideas and not actually provide any, that's okay too. (vice versa, not so much)
you should avoid talking about ideas ever
CashmereCat
you should! i'm gonna talk about idea no matter wut
@__________: Yeah, okay, if you don't want to share your ideas then why comment? No, really, I'm confused.

e: ;P (I was meaning it as a joke... >.<; My fault! ^.^; )
Oh, just yesterday I had a discussion (with the creator of Eden Eternal) about how talking about ideas is bad for a game designer. You both risk your ideas being stolen and also hearing about an idea you already had yourself and then you can't use it anymore or else people will think you have stolen it.

But yeah, everyone should decide that himself. And most games here are free anyway, so can't really give you any financial trouble.

In fact I really like the Game Design subforum because it seems to be the only place where people freely talk about their ideas and as game designer that's actually really interesting. I wish I could also meet up with professional game designer and share ideas but that will never happen.
author=Liberty
@__________: Yeah, okay, if you don't want to share your ideas then why comment? No, really, I'm confused.

She’s just trying to give us some valuable advice, aren't ya, Steve? :)

Anyways, I think this is a great idea. It’s nice to at least talk and / or discuss about a possible / existing potential idea that you might have with a few people before considering it a go to see that if it would be successful or not and maybe might needing a few tweaks to it to make it possibly work. You just never know, someone's comments to it could add in a lot of insight.

I’m working both days this weekend to make up for the two days that I took off to go down to commercial drive and watch England get their butts kicked by Italy in the World Cup, so I can’t do this. Shame, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
__________ just thought you were trying to bounce the idea of an Idea Bounce event off of people, and was giving you feedback.

If you can't make the event, keep in mind the Game Design & Theory forum is still open 24/7.
Yeah, checking again, it looks like I was more serious about that question than I really was. XD
The ';p' is missing off the end for some reason. >.<
author=RyaReisender
Oh, just yesterday I had a discussion (with the creator of Eden Eternal) about how talking about ideas is bad for a game designer. You both risk your ideas being stolen and also hearing about an idea you already had yourself and then you can't use it anymore or else people will think you have stolen it.

this is bullshit because no one wants to steal your ideas, the real problem with ideas is when you waste your time talking about stuff you'll never do.
That's why this is for those who need to bounce their ideas off someone in a limited time. You get an hour or two to talk about ideas and gather some yay or nays, talk about what's wrong and what's right about them and then you can think about them afterwards and have either a more concise idea to work with or the idea of abandoning the original idea.

It can also help form ideas that are still in the aether. I'll actually be starting off each session with a list of default questions that might help if you stall on what to talk about an idea, as well as a suggested time limit for each person to 'bounce' so that it's not just one person talking the whole time.

And yeah, people aren't going to steal ideas. We're creators and snobs to boot! Who'd want someone's ideas when you have awesometacutar ones yourself? XD
Pages: first 12 next last