POSSIBLE BOSS CREATING CONTEST

Pages: first 123 next last
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Firstly, let me say, this is an idea I'm wanting to bounce back and forth between each and everyone of you all, and secondly, looks do not matter with what I am thinking about.

The idea is to take your time to create a super boss event, one in which anyone can download and play, and it instantly takes you into a fight once you start it. The concept is that we're to create the most in-depth, unique battle where the enemy has a unique, creative, widely varied attack pattern possible (even sometimes if possible, random), coupled with very powerful, end-game characters.

No plot, no dialogue, just fighting. Then when each participant is done, 5 judges chosen by you all will play it and determine who has the best battle.

Graphics will be a bonus if possible but in my eyes shouldn't at all play into how a judge views it.

What do you think?
I'd join such an event, but...

author=Thiamor
No plot, no dialogue, just fighting.

I don't agree with this particular suggestion. While the game should jump into the action quickly, there needs to be some sort of context for the scenario, even if it's just a short cutscene to establish the characters.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Sounds awesome. But I agree, there shouldn't be as many constraints with the "no plot, no dialogue" thing. I think if people understand that the boss battles should be about the boss battles themselves instead of the story, they'll cater around that. As long as you stress that minimal dialog is important. But sometimes a little flavour is helpful to put the boss in context. Like, little shouts during battle or a short cutscene (very short, say 1min) setting up the hero's plight.

Anyway, whatever you decide. This sounds like a really good idea! RPG Maker Web did a similar contest a while ago, but there were way too many constraints for me to be involved. They literally specified what battlers, moves and enemies you should use. It was kind of hard to join when there were that many constraints involved.

I hope this goes through and we get another event. I'm always game for these kinds of contests.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I actually have a really dumb idea for this.

We gotta do it now.
Thiamor
Well it's just a post I used to stress the concept. If they want context, add contest.

I plan on helping create the event, obviously but also joining in. Something along the lines of using the Goliath patch, while also making it where there is one player and there is only 2 option. Fight, and Item, and the items will be skill based, and stat based.

IE, some may increase your speed, or defense, some may jump in an added character to fight with you, but the main issue to make it hard is you start out super slow, but with super defense and high HP, and after like the enemy lands 20 turns (20 hits) you're able to move, and can go use a speed item to raise your over all agility, and then wait till 10 moves later to use a hasten ability, because once you land so much damage on the enemy, a timer is activated.

This time will do a massive attack and harm you, and so it's easier to become quicker, and then after the damage is done, and you heal yourself and cause him to have only 10 percent of his over all HP, he'll evolve (or use the transform function) to transform into a tougher form.

The second form doesn't hit as many times in a row, but can cause massive damage, and eventually a timer activates which lowers your HP and defense drastically.

Anyway I wish not to spoil it. If we do this, who would we vote for as judges?
Thiamor
Also what if we had a thing where the top 5 battles are added into one rpg maker game of sorts where you get to fight all 5 of them, one after the other?
CashmereCat
I think someone has to come forward as a judge first. Lol. If there's no-one else, I'd be keen to judge, but only if you care about me not being that qualified. But just because I can't make games doesn't mean I can't judge them. In other words, I'd be willing if you are ;)
author=Thiamor
Also what if we had a thing where the top 5 battles are added into one rpg maker game of sorts where you get to fight all 5 of them, one after the other?

That would only work if everyone used the same number range. If you had player characters with 9999 HP and I have player characters with 255 HP (with bosses appropriate to each party), the two bosses would be incompatible.

author=CashmereCat
I'd be keen to judge, but only if you care about me not being that qualified.

You're probably more qualified as a judge than I was when I joined the Castles event...
Thiamor
We could do it where everyone has to use like the Goliath patch, and then it would work.
Didn't RMW have this same competition for the RM birthday bash? It was basically create a boss battle but with perhaps a start and ending scene. The main part had to be the battle itself, though and the scenes didn't have to exist.

Of course, they limited what kinds of characters you could have but it is similar.

That said, we were throwing around the idea of an eventing battle earlier in the year - experiment with eventing and see awesomeness you could achieve. No scripts allowed, so that all engines were welcome. It was to harken back to before there were scripts and the awesome systems that came out of them - a showcase of what can be done without scripting.
CashmereCat
That would be really cool too. Mostly because I'm an eventing meister ;D
author=Liberty
That said, we were throwing around the idea of an eventing battle earlier in the year - experiment with eventing and see awesomeness you could achieve. No scripts allowed, so that all engines were welcome. It was to harken back to before there were scripts and the awesome systems that came out of them - a showcase of what can be done without scripting.

The original idea of this thread is alright, and I'm sure lots of people would enter--but I personally wouldn't participate. It's not quite enough to catch my interest. However THIS ^ sounds like a challenge I'd love to get in on.
author=Thiamor
We could do it where everyone has to use like the Goliath patch, and then it would work.

If there's a Goliath patch for VX Ace, then that might be possible (I still wouldn't use it, mind...)
Actually, I highly recommend not to have restrictions on engines we can use, stat ranges, character roles... these things should be decided by individual participants.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I did two contests like this back in the day! The first one went pretty well, though it needed judges instead of everyone-voting. The second one failed miserably, there were only two submissions.

I would be willing to be a judge for this one! I decided after the first contest that you definitely need a panel of judges, not just voting, because a lot of people can't be trusted to only judge the gameplay; they'll base their score partially on the graphics even if you tell them not to. They also can't be arsed to download twelve different RTPs (which they will have to do even if you make a rule that games have to include all the RTP files they use, because people can't follow directions). Some of them can't even be arsed to play all the entries, actually.

Having powerful end-game characters is a good theme to go with, and would make it different from my contests. I don't think you need to require any specific scripts, or even specific engines, let people use whatever features they think will help improve their gameplay. Although you should probably require it to be an RPG with menu-based battles if you want the comparisons to be fair.
Thiamor
I think it should be with eventing. That was my basic idea in my head anyway. Scripting is cool and all but leaves a huge, unfair advantage if you know a lot about how to script.

I think the only limitation to it should be eventing only, and it can be with any RPG MAKER.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Even if you know how to write scripts, I can't imagine anyone doing so for a short contest of this type. I can imagine a lot of people just importing scripts though.

Creating your stuff via battle events is as time-consuming as making your own scripts (if not moreso), and usually can't be transferred from one project to another, so that just seems like you're requiring everyone to spend several hundred times longer programming than they'd have to if you let them just import Yanfly Melody to get the features they need for their idea or whatever.

I mean, do it your way, that's just my two cents.
Are we doing this? I have a killer idea brewing that is... making me post this message. I'm fine with using either event commands or RGSS.
I like the idea ( my boss fights are nothing special, since I never use in-battle events ) so it could be a nice practice session. Frankly, I'm all for creating a short RPG with no scripts whatsover too. Just common events and variables.
Thiamor
I'll get it set up soon.
author=Thiamor
I think it should be with eventing. That was my basic idea in my head anyway. Scripting is cool and all but leaves a huge, unfair advantage if you know a lot about how to script.

I think the only limitation to it should be eventing only, and it can be with any RPG MAKER.

I'd like to add that I don't think a 'no scripts' restriction, for the reasons you've listed, is a good idea. Taking away the "unfair advantage" to those who can copy & paste (which I assure is how anyone would use scripts here), and giving it to those who who've mastered the ins and outs of eventing, just doesn't make sense to me, especially after suggesting that everyone uses a patch...
Pages: first 123 next last