POSSIBLE BOSS CREATING CONTEST

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I don't think you need to worry about scripts vs events. An RM2K3 game won the first boss contest by LockeZ, and there were plenty of games using well designed scripts. Let people use what they know best to create the greatest experience they can.
author=Skie Fortress
I don't think you need to worry about scripts vs events... Let people use what they know best to create the greatest experience they can.

That's pretty much what I'm trying to get at. We should allow both scripting and eventing in order to create a level playing field for all the participants.
Isn't part of the challenge creating your own system by which the complicated boss encounter is played out?
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
We should have some, but limited restrictions. Perhaps a limit to how long the boss can actually be so we don't have boss fights for judges going over 30 minutes to an hour, or longer.

Perhaps if we could also get this being official, and it being promoted on the front page, we might be able to get enough people to join this. I'd probably just join in as a judge, though, rather than actually try to make a fight of my own.

Though we need a list of things we're looking for, and grade the games based on that. What should we have on this list?
Thiamor
I got an idea. We'll start the contest, and have registrations last for a week while if possible, it being promoted that we're doing so on the front page.

After the registration deadline is met, they work on their boss battles for a month tops, and then they send us their battle.

One thing we can look for is how unique the battle itself is, in the following forms:

Graphical uniqueness
Functional uniqueness
A month is a lot of time for one boss battle. I'd recommend something a little shorter - a few days to a week. That's more than enough time to come up with a great idea/get it sorted and evented. I mean, you can make a game in a week...
Thiamor
Still think a week is too short if someone had something BIG in mind for a battle. So yeah, a month is too much, but a week is too small. I'd suggest 2 weeks, and an additional one week if enough people request the added time.
Oh no! A short time limit wouldn't allow me to make the new system I'd been dreaming of.

Additionally, will it be using the event commands only, as discussed on the first page, or would it be using RGSS, or open to anything?
Thiamor
Well after being talked to about it, it's best to let them use what they can get.
Allowing both events and scripting is the only way that makes sense to me, and given that the scope of the event is (theoretically) a single battle, I think 1-2 weeks is plenty of time.

Thiamor
I will allow this, though.
Battles that lead out of the battle screen, onto a map, only to lead into another battle, though let's limit that to only 3 times tops.
I think this event idea was done a few years ago, wasn't it? Everybody uploaded a video (had to be <10 min) and there were like 30-40 entries.
This was a long, long time ago. I hadn't joined the community yet, so it must've been around 2008 or 2009. I just remember seeing the entries and wishing I could've participated ._.
Thiamor
Well on this it's not going to be a video.
Thiamor
Anyone still interested in this? I'd love to do it but we need more planning done.
Then let's plan!

As I understand, the rules so far are:
* Build a boss battle in any RPG Maker, using event pages and/or RGSS scripts.
* The combat system must be turn-based (which I assume includes ATB or similar systems)

I have a few suggestions of my own:
* Sequential bosses, where each phase is essentially a new battle, should be no longer than three phases.
* The entire game must be on one map.
* There must be at least two on-map cutscenes, one before the battle and one after; additional cutscenes (such as a transition between phases of the boss battle) are allowed. These cutscenes can be as simple as a single text box or an animation. (Basically I don't want to walk up to a monster sprite and just start battling)
* The entire game should not take longer than half an hour (though I can't really see any battle take longer than 10-15 minutes and still remain interesting...)
* Any type of boss is allowed, but the player party should appear to be in the mid- to late-game levels.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If it's a boss contest, I would definitely not want cut scenes or maps before or after the boss to be required. I mean, people can add that stuff if they want, since a lot of people have trouble planning a boss without any context. But in my boss contests back in 2011 and 2012 I actually stipulated that mapping and cut scenes wouldn't affect your score, similar to how graphics wouldn't affect your score. I felt like this made the judging much more fair and also helped make the contest more focused. If you don't want that rule, that's fine of course, but requiring anything other than the battle seems pretty odd. The idea simply being that this is a gameplay contest, not a mapping or writing contest.

Personally, I would expect most of the entries to simply start the battle automatically upon choosing New Game, and close the game when the battle completes.
I was actually making headway into my customized system plans. I, uh, think we need a little more time before we should decide on doing this or not... ;)
Thiamor
Well graphics should count, if it actually makes the fight different and unique. I don't mean where it's just beautiful looking, but if it's scripted out/evented out to the extent each has moving animation, monsters, players, and everything has detailed animations, it should count to some degree.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Certainly fair.

It sounds like you know pretty much what you want to do with the event. I recommend you go ahead and make the contest! As I said before, I'm willing to be a judge. As credentials, I offer my two boss design articles, my boss design thread, and my enormous penis size.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I can dig this. I'll play.
Pages: first prev 123 next last