SOME ADVICE ON GAME BASE ON THIS CONCEPT

Pages: 1
"In medieval times the apprentice was bound to his master for a number of years. He lived with the master as a member of the household, receiving most or all of his compensation in the form of food and lodging. An apprentice could not charge a fee for his day's work (the French word journée refers to the time span of a day). After the years of apprenticeship (German: Lehrjahre, literally "teaching years") the apprentice was absolved from his obligations (German: Freisprechung, literally "free pronouncement"). The guilds, however, would not allow a young craftsman without experience to be promoted to master - they could only choose to be employed, but many chose instead to roam about.

Moving from one town to another to gain experience of different workshops, became an important part of the training of an aspirant master.

In the Middle Ages, the number of years spent journeying differed by the craft. Only after half of the required journeyman years (German: Wanderjahre, literally "wandering years") would the craftsman register with a guild for the right to be an apprentice master. After completing the journeyman years, he would settle in a workshop of the guild and after some more years (German: Mutjahre, literally "grit years") he would be allowed to make his masterpiece (German: Meisterstück) and present it to the guild. With their consent he would be promoted to guild master and as such be allowed to open his own guild workshop in town

Kill me for takeit straight from Wikipedia. I have some questions for this should I have a historical real place setting or a fantasy one. and two should I base it on really trade or official one?
As long as it works for your character or plot, it shouldn't matter. What kind of abilities do you want your character to have? Perhaps base the actual job around their skills. And it really doesn't matter what world - whether it be more realistic or fantasy based - as long as it's consistent and makes sense.

You could as easily have a magic-based skill set that is centered around, idk, the creation of magical artifacts in a world of high fantasy inhabited with giant monsters and mythical beings as you could have a magic-based skill set that is centered around the creation of magical artefacts in(hey, hedge witches/wizards and talismans of power would work. All that would change is that magic is actually real and has effects beyond belief - of it could still be fake and what really works is science that is seen as magic instead) in the real Middle Ages with enemies being Witch-Hunters, bandits and Clergy and different factions warring against each other.

It really is up to you which you prefer.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
What Liberty said. If you're going to use RPG Maker, you may as well use the tools you have at your disposal and go a fantasy route. Maybe a low-magic fantasy if you wanted to stick with the traditional medieval history. But it really depends on what you think would be the most interesting.

I think that either would be interesting as long as you keep it short. Battles and fighting don't seem to be the strongest aspect of a game of this sort, rather its more like a adventure game. So you should treat it like that and give the game a lot of exploratory aspects, have a lot of dialogue options and really flesh out the townsfolk, and try to find a way to make crafting or whatever the journeyman's going to do into the main gameplay thing.

But again, I don't think this concept would do well as a long game. 5 or 6 hours at the most if you blaze right on through. That's plenty of time to tell a concise story.
I huge fan of history I was originally planning take place 30 year war in the holy roman empire/first Reich as location and backdrop. But type fantasy setting could work good too give it a harvest moon vib. Now I just need to figure out how represents the learning years/apprentice period, any advice on that guys?

How about aging up? Like during apprentice you're a kid, then become a teen and finally an adult.

Actually, this could be cool in a Harvest Moon type of way, where you get to raise your character and interact with the town, growing relationships over years and eventually becoming a Journeyman who leaves to become a Master. Hell, you could start with the raising simulation (think Princess Maker crossed with Harvest Moon/Rune Factory) then have a more RPG pokemon-esque (in that you travel different places earning badges or something on your journey to become the best there ever was a Master in your field) and end on returning home to take over from your previous Master, get married (dependant on who you got close to when growing up) and having a family.

That'd be pretty cool, but a lot of work.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'd say, make the apprentice years essentially an in-game tutorial in regards to your crafting system. Which means that you probably want to make it as short as possible. However, you might want to flavor the tutorial in such a way that it's the master that's telling you how to do it, and generally avoid breaking the fourth wall as much as possible.

*Edit: I'm kinda liking Liberty's idea, actually.
This is exactly what Experience, Levels, and titles/jobs are for, so I don't really understand what is what you want us to help you with...

But let's say that from levels 0 to 10 you're an apprentice. You can take jobs only from one of the houses in town: the one that is taking you in (duh!). And every job can only neat you experience. But in exchange you can rest for free at any time to restore stamina and whatnot.

From levels 10 to 20 you become a wanderer. Now you can go around town knocking on doors and taking random jobs, and every task you complete will earn you a little money as well. But you have to use that money wisely because you now have to pay for your own food/shelter... Also, you could take jobs from the local Guild to earn money quickly, but those jobs would be more difficult too.

From level 20 onwards and once you have enough money, you could buy the vacant house in town and set your own workshop. This will turn you into a "Master"... Now you could even take in your own apprentices. You could quite literally give them your experience. You could upgrade their skills, send them on errands, etc. Until you end up with zero experience yourself, and have to retire. =P

If this is your first game I recommend you keep things small. That's why my example is set in a single town as opposed to traveling from place to place. But if you believe you can do that instead, then go ahead.
author=Liberty
How about aging up? Like during apprentice you're a kid, then become a teen and finally an adult.

Actually, this could be cool in a Harvest Moon type of way, where you get to raise your character and interact with the town, growing relationships over years and eventually becoming a Journeyman who leaves to become a Master. Hell, you could start with the raising simulation (think Princess Maker crossed with Harvest Moon/Rune Factory) then have a more RPG pokemon-esque (in that you travel different places earning badges or something on your journey to become the best there ever was a Master in your field) and end on returning home to take over from your previous Master, get married (dependant on who you got close to when growing up) and having a family.

That'd be pretty cool, but a lot of work.
Learn/work under several masters return home settle then compete with your master former apprentices to see who masterpiece is the best and be made a Master. Now how to do that gameplay wise?
Pages: 1