MODERN 3D PLATFORMERS?

Pages: first prev 12 last
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
If you remove the "modern" qualifier there are some more I could recommend.

Jet Grind Radio (DreamCast)
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2)
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS)
Ape Escape (PS)
Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
NiGHTS Into Dreams... (Sega Saturn)
Skylanders Swap Force (WiiU)
Jak II (PS2)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS2)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=RyaReisender
Wait, in most platformers I played you didn't have to fight enemies (except bosses).

Don't give me that. Avoiding the enemy is no fun in the typical platformer and is detrimental in some, such as in Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog where so many points and coins earns you 1-ups.

author=Darken
Dude mirror's edge is pretty much 1:1 with the old tomb raider games. Or http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/genre-cinematic-platformer there's preparation for the jumps and landing properly. combat/action is pretty damn secondary and only there to spice things up at best, much like the games in the link.

The gimmick of mirror's edge is that there's very little time for the setup though, and just sped up.

calling it first person action adventure is so fucking vague and shit and does nothing to narrow down anything other than you might as well call it a video game

Just because you're incapable of appreciating subtlety doesn't mean the rest of us view video games through a narrow scope. I've been a Tomb Raider fan from the beginning and find little similarities except in basic mechanics and gameplay. In fact, you get many more warnings in Tomb Raider (she'll actually stop short of a ledge if the character detects it in time. You basically have to be running full tilt to keep her from overriding your control.). In Mirror's Edge you use the appropriate move when you see red, which is the only warning you get (no overriding stops to keep you from going over a ledge), thus, if you're so anal about it, why don't you use the option you have to turn the red warnings off, in which case you'll get no warning at all. The difference is that in Mirror's Edge, your character has no intelligence, depending entirely on your reflexes, which is a big difference from Tomb Raider with its auto-aim, it's two step warnings before a jump, and the sudden stops at ledges, in short, a character that doesn't entirely trust the man with the controller.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=CashmereCat

NiGHTS is a platformer? I mean, sure, it has platforming segments, but it's more of a... Flying around at high speed through loops action game than it is a platformer.
author=CashmereCat
If you remove the "modern" qualifier there are some more I could recommend.

Jet Grind Radio (DreamCast)
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2)
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS)
Ape Escape (PS)
Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
Skylanders Swap Force (WiiU)
Jak II (PS2)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS2)

Never really thought of Jet Grind Radio as a platformer but yeah it is.
Anyway, yeah I would highly recommend Jet Grind Radio it's one of my favorite games. I've replayed that probably more times than any other game.
Don't give me that. Avoiding the enemy is no fun in the typical platformer and is detrimental in some, such as in Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog where so many points and coins earns you 1-ups.

Huh? In both Sonic and Super Mario Bros you avoid combat if you can. At least I always did. You also don't get extra lives from points in those games. You get extra lives from rings/coins and you get those without any combat.
CashmereCat
author=Ratty524
author=CashmereCat
NiGHTS is a platformer? I mean, sure, it has platforming segments, but it's more of a... Flying around at high speed through loops action game than it is a platformer.

Yeah maybe you're right. lol. But it's still a great game and it's 3d (kind of) ;) and it *feels* like a platformer at least to me :)

Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Maybe I should narrow definition of "modern" a little bit, seeing as most of you suggest games that I either played or know about and just didn't interest me. "Modern" means in context of this thread any 3D platformer made after PS3/Wii/X360 generation.
Also I want third person platformers, like Rayman, Croc, Mario64, etc. Preferably free-roaming, but can be also what I call "corridor platformers" such as Crash.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=RyaReisender
Huh? In both Sonic and Super Mario Bros you avoid combat if you can. At least I always did. You also don't get extra lives from points in those games. You get extra lives from rings/coins and you get those without any combat.

That isn't true for either of those games, actually. It's just that gaining extra lives through point-combos is MUCH harder to achieve and less obviously evident than the aforementioned coins/1ups.

I do agree with you to an extent, however, that platformers don't need to involve killing enemies in order to be fun. The genre focuses primarily on good timing and being able to maneuver around obstacles, and believe it or not, enemies in typical platformers are simply glorified obstacles. If you can bypass them without killing them, than that's fine, it's your play style and it really doesn't hurt the game in any way, since you are still technically playing by the game's rules.

@Rave: It's hard to say. I have yet to give Mirror's Edge a try, but I haven't really experienced a lot of great platformers with this generation besides the Super Mario Galaxy titles. Sonic Colors is also pretty decent, though with it's relatively short length, you might wind up expecting more out of it once you beat it.
author=piatom
Just because you're incapable of appreciating subtlety doesn't mean the rest of us view video games through a narrow scope.

you sound like you just watched 20 episodes of extra credits
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I feel pretty comfortable calling Assassin's Creed a 3D platformer series.
I would say Tearaway fits the bill well, though it's for the Vita and not the longest game out there. It definitely has nifty gameplay, though.

I don't know any other 3D platformers out right now.
CashmereCat
OK I'm giving my definitive list based on your question. These are titles from 2006+ that are 3D Platformers by my association and have garnered critical/user acclaim. It's as follows:

1. LittleBigPlanet (PS3, VITA, PSP)
2. Journey (PS3)
3. LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
4. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
5. Skylanders Swap Force (WiiU)
6. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time (PS3)
7. Daxter (PSP)
8. LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias (Wii)
9. Skylanders Swap Force (X360, PS3)
10. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (3DS, X360, Wii)
11. Crush (PSP)
12. Gravity Rush (VITA)
13. Stick it to the Man! (WiiU, VITA)
14. Puppeteer (PS3)
15. Skylanders Giants (X360)
16. De Blob (Wii)
17. Klonoa (Wii)
18. Marble Blast Ultra (X360)
Pages: first prev 12 last