MODERN 3D PLATFORMERS?

Pages: first 12 next last
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Do you know any modern 3D platformers? I have enough of Crash, Mario, Banjo, Conker, Croc, Rayman and whatnot, would like something new, preferably with PC version.
Broforce is a pretty awesome action platformer, especially if you like classic action movies. I know it's not 3D, but it's still a good modern platformer game.

I really can't think of more modern titles in the style that you're talking about though, that kind of game seemed to largely die off at the end of the 90s. Especially if I can't recommend new Mario or Donkey Kong games or stuff like that.
Rave
Well, I know there are pretty 2D platformers and know where to find them - one look at steam is basically enough. Also last Nintendo console I have is N64, so you know...
Well, I guess you could maybe benefit from a Wii U or something? Then you have access to the Wii and Wii U libraries, which are bound to have something to appeal to you in that department.

It's just a challenging thing to find, especially for PC, you know?
The more recent Sonic games (Colours and Generations) are pretty good. I guess they are even my favorite 3D platformers (unless I count Mirror's Edge I guess).

Sonic Generations and Mirror's Edge are available for PC.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Psychonauts is the only one I can come up with for PC.

Not on PC... LittleBigPlanet (PS3), Journey (PS3), Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3), Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)...

there's not many lol
For Platformers get a Wii U and if you can't/won't fford one check out indie titles that are upcoming for PC like olvier and spike, a hat in time or lobodestroyo^^

but really if you like modern 3d platformers get a wii U, then get mario galaxy 1+2 for wii (the wiiu is backwards compatible) mario 3d world, sonic colors, sonic lost worlds (which is actually very good despite what others say) and a ton more.
and if you're not into mario or sonic there are always hidden gems that might not be classic platformers but incredibly great games like the wonderful 101, bayonetta 1+2 (coming on october) lego marvel (i prefer this to lego city but if you're not into marvel get lego city) or one of the many e-shop titles like armillo^^
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Yeaaaaaah... The Mario Galaxy titles still hold up well, but otherwise platformers seem to be pretty scarce in this day and age, let alone good ones.

Also, are we talking about full 3D, free-roaming platformers (like Mario 64 or Spyro-styled platformers) or 2.5D platformers (Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, etc.)? The latter seems to be a bit more common nowadays than the former.
Rave
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Mirror's Edge (don't get me wrong, I love this game) isn't really your typical platformer, is it? I'm afraid I don't know any platformers for the PC, there were plenty for the consoles.

PS2:
Primal
Kya: The Dark Legacy
Jax and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy
just off the top of my head

PS1:
Spyro the Dragon
Tomb Raider (New ones still come out and the latest ones are excellent. These, you could probably find on PC)
Gex the Gecko

I'm afraid I don't know any Nintendo or XBox examples.
It is not a typical platformer, but it is a platformer anyway.

With RPGs people also like it when they are unique and not a typical RPG, so why should it be different with platformers?
Because it doesn't really seem like a platformer, at all. I wouldn't have a problem with it being one, but it's a first person action adventure game.
So... how do you define platformer then? I define it as a game where you have to run and jump. That's exactly what you do in Mirror's Edge. Run and jump.
Easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game

This covers the common association and definitions to the genre pretty well. Assigning any game with 'running and jumping' a platformer is going to get you some funny looks if you try to say The Last of Us or Assassins Creed are platformers.
A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms, over obstacles, or both to advance the game.

Sounds exactly like Mirror's Edge.

In fact Mirror's Edge is actually mentioned on the wiki page.
I guess I'll concede that! Still, though, I disagree with 'run and jump' being all it takes to be a platformer game, although the genre may have evolved past that moniker alone.
Well I guess I should say "A game where running and jumping is the main thing you do".
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
No, no, no. Mirror's Edge is definitely a platformer. I was simply pointing out the fact that you don't fight enemies if you can even remotely avoid it, something not typical to a platformer.
Wait, in most platformers I played you didn't have to fight enemies (except bosses).
Dude mirror's edge is pretty much 1:1 with the old tomb raider games. Or http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/genre-cinematic-platformer there's preparation for the jumps and landing properly. combat/action is pretty damn secondary and only there to spice things up at best, much like the games in the link.

The gimmick of mirror's edge is that there's very little time for the setup though, and just sped up.

calling it first person action adventure is so fucking vague and shit and does nothing to narrow down anything other than you might as well call it a video game
Pages: first 12 next last