R.I.P. RPG REVOLUTION

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=kentona
"if you can dodge this, prove it."

Quote of the year.
Wow that sucks, I used to frequent revolution back in the day and even went on for quite awhile even up to a year or so ago.

When I started with game development there weren't a lot of sites around, come 2000-2001 you had sites like gaming-world and dark dominion, and then their were specifics for a certain type of game. It was fun, I've outgrown rpg maker but it is sad to see this site die.

author=UPRC
Japanese developers just need to stop dicking around and inject a little seriousness into their RPGs again. Sometime during the PS2 days, I noticed jRPGs took a sharp turn towards trying to emulate anime in terms of artistic style, character development and humour. I guess that's all fine and dandy for people who gobble up anime, but it's not what I grew up with as a kid.

I've been saying the same thing about anime for years. The entirety of Japan's creative industries have taken a long jump off the short pier of meaningless ecchi schlock like Queen's Blade and Seikon no Qwaser. It's like the driving goal for monetary success is how many times can you make insecure grown men touch themselves?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
There are two audiences who complain about modern JRPGs: Those who complain that they're too silly and cartoony and those who complain that they're too serious and grimdark.

It's almost like the genre isn't monolithic.
author=Dyhalto
author=UPRC
Japanese developers just need to stop dicking around and inject a little seriousness into their RPGs again. Sometime during the PS2 days, I noticed jRPGs took a sharp turn towards trying to emulate anime in terms of artistic style, character development and humour. I guess that's all fine and dandy for people who gobble up anime, but it's not what I grew up with as a kid.
I've been saying the same thing about anime for years. The entirety of Japan's creative industries have taken a long jump off the short pier of meaningless ecchi schlock like Queen's Blade and Seikon no Qwaser. It's like the driving goal for monetary success is how many times can you make insecure grown men touch themselves?

No offense but I don't agree with you on the ecchi thing. To be honest I like ecchi even though some may find it weird. It's hentai I absolutely hate. I think ecchi rpgs are okay but not hentai ones. However I do agree that people should inject some seriousness into the JRPGs
author=Rose_Guardian
author=Dyhalto
author=UPRC
No offense but I don't agree with you on the ecchi thing. To be honest I like ecchi even though some may find it weird. It's hentai I absolutely hate. I think ecchi rpgs are okay but not hentai ones. However I do agree that people should inject some seriousness into the JRPGs

Now I'd like to join into this, If y'all don't mind.

Animes are targeted to lure as many people as possible, so as to gain maximum profit. And somehow, the creators of anime observed that this is what the masses want. Thus they head to the ecchi route.

About hentai, it is a truly misunderstood word. It has been defiled effectively by the westerners indeed. When all that it was meant to mean is 'deformed'. Though it is used to denote a perverted man in Japan, no other use of the word is as obscene as what were used to. If we followed this in the strictest sense, Chibi art should be called 'super hentai' instead, and all rpgmaker games feature a 'hentai-style' character set. Just wanted to clear that out.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Bugger about RRR, boy am I glad I'm an obsessive hoarder and I still have a few of the games I downloaded from there back in the day, I don't think I'd be able to find them again now that it's gone.

Oohh, wayback still let me get to the link for one of my favs, downloading now.
I actually think the opposite. I prefer hentai over ecchi. At least if you're playing a hentai game you know that you've chosen to play a game based around sexual activities. Not so with ecchi. No, that aspect can appear in any game - RPG or not - and isn't part of the plot but affects how it plays out. It's thrown in as an 'extra' for 'funny' or 'pervy hero lol' actions. It pisses me off. I don't mind a few funny pieces here or there but upskirt shots and 'let me see your panties hurrrrr' just fucking piss me off completely. In games that have ecchi the main female lead is often reduced to nothing more than a panty joke.

I hate ecchi. I like hentai.
This is not good, they had alot of RPG maker games only they had, are they backed up anywhere?
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Try archive.org. You may get lucky.
author=Rave
Try archive.org. You may get lucky.

Most pages didn't even work...
author=Kaliesto
This is not good, they had alot of RPG maker games only they had, are they backed up anywhere?
SegNin's harddrive, probably.
author=Rose_Guardian
I think ecchi rpgs are okay but not hentai ones.
Well, hentai is just the equivalent of adult movies in the west. It serves a pretty specific purpose.
Ecchi has it's role too. It's kind of like the Andy Sidaris movie of the east. My gripe is that Andy Sidaris-kun has become the prime time entertainment standard to the point where some degree of jiggling breasts is expected. I don't want everything I watch to degrade into a dumb T&A flick...

author=karins_soulkeeper
Animes are targeted to lure as many people as possible, so as to gain maximum profit. And somehow, the creators of anime observed that this is what the masses want. Thus they head to the ecchi route.
More than trying to lure as many as people as possible, it seems like mainstream anime now is just straight up advertising for merchandise. How many of these ecchi shows have polyresin figures with removable clothing?

Dammit, I'm just being a grumpy 80's fart. Where's my Kaiji 3?
author=Dyhalto
author=karins_soulkeeper
More than trying to lure as many as people as possible, it seems like mainstream anime now is just straight up advertising for merchandise. How many of these ecchi shows have polyresin figures with removable clothing?

What the hell did you just make me click?! Now I can't get it off my mind. Ugh...
Well, that aside. Yeah, this is what I meant. Here's their logic: 'People want this? Then make an entire line of cheap products and slap a price tag on it. Tada! Profit.'

I think this also applies to all businessmen in general, though.
Sorry for the late post, but I think RRR was a good site while it lasted. I joined the site around July or August 2013. I'm sure the RPG Maker community will have a site like RRR gradually over time, but we should appreciate what we have at the moment.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
http://www.rpgrevolution.com/ now says it's under maintenance instead of this weird ActivePro shit. So... is it coming back?
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Nope, activepro is still there.
It did go back to the "maintenance" message for a brief while, but it's now back to the Active Pro thing again.

I don't expect it will come back, but whoever owns the domain probably isn't sure what to do with it. Even if by some amount of sheer luck and unexpected stupidity it does come back, I can't imagine people flocking back to it after it's been down for so long, at least not without a major overhaul, the least of which would be for it to be under a new owner that's not related to iEntry.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Actually if it did come back, I'd flock, just to get all the games that aren't available anywhere else because I don't think it'd last.

Also I'm not sure about my verb usage there, pretty certain a single entity can't actually flock on their own.

Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I will flock with you.