U.S. IMPERIALISM & HOMOPHOBIA

Pages: first 123 next last
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
As I was browsing through the often vitriolic and guilt inducing website, Tumblr, I stumbled upon this particular post: The post on tumblr
The post (made of images) is in spoilers here:

What are your reactions to this? I have no idea what the demographics are of the RMN user base, however I desire the opinions of you all. Is the white gay/trans population really doing what this user is accusing them of? Contributing to indirect imperialism in places like Africa? Or this is just the angry rant of a victim of hatred?
I can't even tell what he's talking about because of the insane made up shitspeak like "Homonationalism" and "Pinkwashing". Also who and or what are PoC and QPOC?

Africa is fucked up because it's being run by a bunch of looney dictators, not because Obama is spreading anti-black queer pro-white pinkwashed trans homonationalism or whatever the bloody fuck he's trying to say.
Adon237
I am not positive, homonationalism is a word I've never heard before, but what I'm getting from it is that homonationalism is like a facade for politics? Using homophobia as a weapon?

People of Color
Queer People of Color
People like this guy are complete idiots. I don’t even know why people even bother to give this fool any attention at all. Of course, he’s got the right to say whatever the hell he wants if that’s what he truly feels, but he is in the minority.
author=Pizza
Africa is fucked up because it's being run by a bunch of looney dictators

Africa is fucked up because of western imperialism destroying African economies and fostering a backwards environment where these loony dictators can run rampant.
I say "Western" because it's not exclusive to the US. Everybody in Europe hops on and off the bandwagon when it's convenient, and Britain is pretty much the spawning pool of imperalists. The US is just the big dog, and Wall Street = City of London as foreign policies go.

Anyway, this is the first I've heard of LGBT being associated with soldiers and bombs. I think he's just a radical leftist and this is his paper tiger.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Its hard to even really discern what he's talking about. It seems a bit all over the place with different things going on. His arguments aren't well structered and there is no logical flow to his ideas. Which to me indicates someone just saying ideas from the top of their head. In otherwords its pure bullshit.
author=Pizza
I can't even tell what he's talking about because of the insane made up shitspeak like "Homonationalism" and "Pinkwashing".

After some Googling:
  • Homonationalism: Seems to be a kind of patriotism stemming from the belief that your country is friendly to homosexuals.

• Pinkwashing: When a group of some kind (corporation, gov't etc) plays up their LGBT-friendliness to take attention away from something else they're doing.

Anyways, some of this guy's points might be legitimate, but only to a certain extent. Like most talk about things "people" do, these "people" are too numerous to really throw the blanket over. Its easy to find hypocrisy everywhere when you try to merge the offhand comments of thousands or even millions of people in to one "person". I doubt the level of malice, or the severity of their ramifications, is anywhere near what these comments imply. Also, Hanlon's Razor.

Dyahalto's also right - a number of the problems in certain places in Africa come from Imperialism/Colonialism making radical changes to societies and economies (especially the agriculture) and then just up and leaving. Some parts of the Mid-East seems to be in the same boat, nowadays.

Some of the other points are questionable, or are at least not anything I've ever had the impression of. Namely, Africa being more homosexual-friendly than modern western countries, but I really wouldn't know.

Other comments make the same mistakes that many other "Social Justice" types do and try to inject race and sexuality where money and politics makes more sense, and don't seem interested in comparing people of different races with the same economic/social standing. The comment about "wealthy white trans people" vs "poor PoC" as usual ignores the fact that it sucks to be a poor person of any race. Also, I seriously doubt racism and homophobia really have a huge impact on imperialism when there are so many more obvious political and economic sources and gains.

Ultimately, though, this isn't a subject I've done a huge amount of research on (either this African situation specifically or just "Social Justice" stuff in general), so I don't have a lot of strong opinions. Unfortunately, from what little research I have done (on "Social Justice" in general), it seems that there isn't a lot of good data to build solid opinions on. Most studies seem to either not include important information (I've seen complaints on some "upward mobility" studies that they didn't include immigrants, Asians, or Indians), or don't isolate variables properly (comparing rich whites to poor blacks, or comparing males with high-pay-high-risk jobs to pregnant women who aren't even working), or some other questionable things in their methodology.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
This is all drivel. He's making excuses to hate people. The man who taught me how to rebuild pianos is gay. Many celebrities I admire are gay. Many of the people I play music with are gay. One of my best friends is gay and black.

I can assure you these people are treated terribly. To be gay in this country is to be a second class citizen. And it's all because people will fight tooth and nail to continue hating because their Sky Person commanded them to to. Of course, when the gays fight back, their oppressors counter that they are the ones being abused by gays (a sure sign of an abuser, very similar to the so-called war on Christianity. Because we non-Christians want the right to worship as we will without them attacking us, we have waged war on Christianity). It's a typical abuser tactic to play the victim, and it's a cheap, cowardly tactic, too.
I think people always focus too much on sexual preferences and connect it with too much stuff. Not just homophilia.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
My reaction is I think you need to give a serious thought to how you spend time on the internet if you think bullcrap like this deserves any constructive discussion
I'm sorry, but I think DarkMatter is just a nut.
You guys are forgetting the crux of this whole thing; it's Tumblr. It's a cool site for cool GIFs, visual stuff, interests like clothes/games/movies/women/etc, stuff like that, but the whole Social Justice corner of Tumblr is pretty much ignorable, even when the subject matter is legitimate. If I were a gay rights activist, which is fine, Tumblr would be the absolute last place I'd go to be taken seriously.
Adon237
Feld's opinion on the subject matter is mine as well, but that post was on twitter. I use tumblr for the laughter & art usually, however I do end up seeing posts like that frequently enough.

I posted this topic because I have no idea if what those tweets were saying had any merit to it, and wanted to see how others would react to it. Apparently the two subjects have little to no connection with one another.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
when I start a grunge/new-wave/psychadelic art-rock band I'm gonna name it Tumblr Activists
This talk about tumblr combined with the word psychadelic forces me to post this link here:
http://moga.tumblr.com/
(It's the website of moga/CARRIONBLUE who also made some games here.)
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
My headache is likely to make me harsher, but most od what Dark Matter says is rubbish. While The interaction between Christianity and Japan did change th perception of homosexuality there, I'm not aware of clear proof that homophobia's an "American import to Africa." I am very much involved in Social Justice, and am not happy abut Goodluck Jonathan and homophobic edicts. That being said, Dark Matter doesn't seem to be offering much supporting evidence for his claims. "Who Says So? How does he Know?" (BTW if you've never read "How to Lie with Statistics, do. This is the 1954 version - my parents' copy of which sits cheerily on my bookshelf-, but there are updated versions if you wish. )
These tumblr-activist's opinions matter as much to normal people as AIDS is happy news. As it should, because most of their rambling is either made up or straight up lies. Sources for information tend to be other tumblr-activists.
The first pic is funny, because I can think of two peoples in like Papua New Guinea where this really is the case. But homosexuality is only ok because they actually consider women, like, the root of all evil, so.

author=SnowOwl
These tumblr-activist's opinions matter as much to normal people as AIDS is happy news. As it should, because most of their rambling is either made up or straight up lies. Sources for information tend to be other tumblr-activists.

Twitter is the same deal because really, do you expect accurate facts and source-checking from a site where people can post life updates every 2 seconds as long as it's under 140 characters.

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
You have gotten really weird, Adon237

I remember when you were a runt, scamping around RMN with a squeaky voice

wth happened to that, you grew up or something and got weird
Adon237
i'm still a youngin'

i got what i wanted out of this topic however

am reading that how to lie w/ statistics thing tho
Pages: first 123 next last