MYSTERIES OF RPGMAKER?

Pages: first 12345 next last

We all know the rpgmaker is quite an omnipotent, powerful tool for game making. Even without exotic custom scripts, with some creative thinking you can get a lot of stuff done, by using and combining functions the beloved event editor has to offer.

However, do you know what ALL the functions in the event editor do / how to use them?

... well personally, I must admit, I don't. After all these years, I still didn't solve all the mysteries of the RPGmaker event commands. There are still some I just know "kinda" what they do and others, I have no idea / never really used.

But let's hear it from you first - are there commands in the event editor, you always wanted to know what they are for but never came around to ask? ^^
Or do you already know everything and I'm the only one who is perplexed by how to use some of those mysterious buttons.. .__.
I'd be interested in knowing some of the more obscure features or code exploitations... such as using "Wait 0.0" to get RPG Maker 2000/2003 to pause for a single frame.

Back when it was popular, I had a peek into the code of Yume Nikki and found that it was doing a few strange things in its code... like starting a Timer with 0 seconds.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
My questions seem to be more of a "This is what I want to do. Now, how the hell do I pull this off?" nature. I start thinking in event-commands first, maybe thinking about how do to it through scripts later on.

*Edit: Okay, what the heck is "Select Key Item" (event command in VX Ace) supposed to do for me?

*checks help file*

Huh. Okay, then. I'm not sure why you can't still use a Conditional Branch based on the existence of said item, but, I guess, depending on the game, there's a use for a window that just displays key items?
I've never used "Label" and "Jump to label". My guess is that those are used to jump around in the event?
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=SnowOwl
I've never used "Label" and "Jump to label". My guess is that those are used to jump around in the event?

Yes, like goto BASIC command. They're more useful than you think (at least in RM) - in some versions of 2k3 and even XP, loop event is borked and the only way to fix it is to do loop using labels - as loop will hang game, but labels somehow won't even if inside code is the same.
heh i just cant get the ladies off of me once i start talking about loops, pointers, and evented pathfinding.
author=Rave
author=SnowOwl
Yes, like goto BASIC command. They're more useful than you think (at least in RM) - in some versions of 2k3 and even XP, loop event is borked and the only way to fix it is to do loop using labels - as loop will hang game, but labels somehow won't even if inside code is the same.

It might also be worth noting that a loop made using Labels processes much, much faster than a loop. It was on the order of 1,000 times faster, if I remember correctly, from a loop test done in an article on this site somewhere...
The label command , huh? Yeah I was wondering about that one, too - never used it before. And, yeah.. it does sound very similar to "loop / break look" ( which I also never used ) ...

I also haven't made use of the " memorize BGM " / " restore BGM " one until rather recently. It's nice tho, safes some time when playing around with music to set the mood in dialogues.
With timer, I don't know any tricks.. : ) I'm glad i know the basic use at least.
"Common events" was a thing that took me very long to understand, same with "Switches" and "Variables" XD... took me so long to get the idea behind those - but I'm glad I know now...

But what might be the difference between " Change HP " and " Deal damage " be ? And what do the numbers under " entire troop " mean?
can the rudra tileset meta be perfected??? find out on this episode of enterbrain's greatest mysteries
author=NebelSoft
But what might be the difference between " Change HP " and " Deal damage " ? And what do the numbers under " entire troop " mean?

The context of the editor changes slightly when you're creating battle events instead of map events: Stuff like change HP's 1./2./3./etc. are the enemies that appear in the troops.

e: Oh yeah, in one of my old 2k3 games I was testing it trying to fix a bug where some below actor/on actor touch events weren't firing consistently. Turns out I had a poorly implemented event responsible for changing the windowskin that was executing every frame. Turns out when you are constantly changing the windowskin in 2k3 it fucks up the event triggers!
unity
You're magical to me.
I have a VX Ace question that I feel dumb asking, but can't seem to find the answer. "Normal Attack" has the Effect "Add State: Normal Attack - 100%"

What exactly does the "Normal Attack" state do? Do other things react to it, like say the Counterattack state?

And speaking of Counterattack, is the damage a Conterattack does based on the ATK of the character who counterattacks?
iirc Add State: Normal Attack will add the state based on your equipment. So if you have an actor with a Poison Dagger with the trait State on Attack: Poison +100% and then use a skill with Add State: Normal Attack 100% that skill will try to inflict poison because of the poison dagger. The % of the skill is multiplied by the weapon's +%, so +20% from the weapon and 100% from the skill is 20%, +20% and 200% is 40%, +20% and 50% is 10%, etc. . The +% from multiple pieces of equipment is cumulative.
(again iirc, I haven't looked into this since Ace came out)
unity
You're magical to me.
Wow, thanks! That makes a lot of sense ^_^
author=GreatRedSpirit
The context of the editor changes slightly when you're creating battle events instead of map events: Stuff like change HP's 1./2./3./etc. are the enemies that appear in the troops.

Oh? I see : ) Interesting, I should try it out and see for myself sometime I guess.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=SnowOwl
I've never used "Label" and "Jump to label".

author=NebelSoft
The label command , huh? Yeah I was wondering about that one, too - never used it before.

You're serious, aren't you? I can't even imagine how somebody could set up a more complicated event or an evented system without Labels. I use them all the time, they are just so incredibly useful. You can even jump right "into" Conditional Branches with them, even if their conditions aren't met.
Then again, about everything scripting-related is a mystery to me, so I guess people who know how to do that might just take that route and script all the complex stuff.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=NebelSoft
With timer, I don't know any tricks.. : ) I'm glad i know the basic use at least.

The timer of the default system is pretty limited. You can't "pause" the timer and continue from where it left off, and you can't use a global variable instead of specific numbers to control what time it's suppose to start at... Without scripting at least.
With labels, an easy explanation is that they can be used to set up a series of jumps within an event. So, for example, let's say you have an event where different choices depend on what happens next.

Choice 1 will send you to the same spot as Choice 4 (except with a different variable value, say), Choice 3 will end the event altogether and Choice 2 will restart the event. Choice 5 will bring you back to picking a choice and Choice 6 will send you to a new event page. Using labels and jump to labels helps so much with this.
Just set up one label at each point you want to jump to, then have the Jump to label commands at the right places and viola.

As for the Wait 0.0 command, what happens, I believe, is that it waits for between 0.0 and 0.1 seconds before allowing the code to continue. This tiniest of waits gives a break enough to reduce any lag that may occur from jumping straight to the next part (often used when using loops so that there's a small, unnoticeable wait before the loop completes). I can't explain it more than to say it just works. It just fucking works and I don't know why, but I love it.
author=NeverSilent
You're serious, aren't you? I can't even imagine how somebody could set up a more complicated event or an evented system without Labels. I use them all the time, they are just so incredibly useful. You can even jump right "into" Conditional Branches with them, even if their conditions aren't met.

I'm serious. You can do everything that you can do with labels (if I'm understanding it right) with conditional branches, variabels and/or new event pages. It's neat though, I'll definitely use it from now on.
I think you can duplicate labels functionality with conditional branches, but you'll either have to run the event several times or potentially have several copies of the same code.

For simple things, though, it should be about the same.

I use labels mostly for organization, though, since real label tricks usually mean that you're over-complicating something.
Sure, you can do the same thing without labels, but they make it so much tidier and easier.
Pages: first 12345 next last