SUMMER REVIEW JAM! (WEEK 9 SPACE'D)

I’m only doing it now for the achievements. That's my only incentive.

And *rolls his hand sarcastically* to help out my fellow RMNers that have provided me with such mixed blessing of pure entertainment here…

Yep!
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Yep it's a rolling contest (see first page) and will go from week to week until the end of August, as Kentona had 9 prizes to give away. So put in one a week and you'll get a jam to add to your collection, and a chance to win a steam prize.

Also 15 MS for people who care about that sort of thing.

also Addit, how do you roll your hand sarcastically? I want a video of that.
author=nhubi
Nutella is not a jam. It's a spread, and it's horrible.

Well peer pressure worked on Yuna for Enelysion, so why shouldn't it work on you?

Hey, I like Nutella!

Okay, this is going off-topic. ><
nhubi
I think we went off topic a page or so back, but hey valiant effort on your part.

Right, so jam, my favourite is probably Damson...oh wait that's still off topic isn't it?

Reviews! That was it. Just submitted one for Trials and Tribulations (and yes the temptation to make a Star Trek joke was too much to resist). Funny little puzzle-centric game with a simply but well handled plot.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm pretty sure the review I did for *Witchworks* is going to be counted for Week 2, but, that's no reason to sit around.

I've still got a half-eye on Black Bird, but, it's quite tempting to go Luxaren Allure and/or Soul Sunder. Though, there's nothing that says I can't do all three of those in the course of this event...
nhubi
True, hell I've got 9 in my IGMC playlist that I am working my way through (next up Bloom's white flowers), the problem is I keep finding new ones! That contest really did produce some interesting games.
Black Galax: Blood Legacy is pending.

I actually got my eyes on Black Bird as well, but I'll probably do D is for Dungeon earlier and continue with Save Point.
I'm on Ars Harmonia as well, but I'll need to figure out the optional mystery part first.

And is it just a coincidence or do I tend to rate lower?
Good, my game wasn't taken, there is still hope yet!

Funny thing is before this contest even started I was churning out review after review. I just looked and I churned out like 13 reviews in a five-day period near the end of June. Now I should have even more incentive to put out reviews but because of that fiery streak I had or whatever I now feel really burned-out. I'm also starting to drift off as I write my reviews. I'll be writing something and I get up and find my finger has been held down on one of my keyboard keysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. So I save whatever I wrote and finish the next day.

Anyway I have three reviews of games just finished to write up and ten games from this site I've had downloaded I need to play. I'll probably end up spreading these reviews far apart between the weeks because of my currently overloaded head (probably a good thing in the long run) so I'll aim for one, two or perhaps even more entries in per week.
nhubi
Zoviet_francis, yes I did notice for a while that every-time a new lot of reviews had gone up on the front page section your name was there. Though given the way your appear to write them I can understand why you may have burned out a little. You cover everything and wax lyrical as well. It does make for an entertaining read.

If you don't mind a suggestion, more paragraph breaks, please. I like reading yours but there are times when the huge chunks of text make them a little hard on the eyes.

What game do you have in your sights, if I may ask? As has been previously stated more than one review for a game is not a bad thing, but if we are attempting to reduce that downloadable/reviewed ratio then redirecting our creative output is a good way to achieve that goal.
nhubi, thanks for the suggestion! I do really try to break them down into as many paragraphs as I feel appropriate. I will admit myself that I've nodded off when going over some of my reviews after they've been posted, heh. What I really want to cut back on is the "covering everything" part. It's of course important to go over how a game plays and plays out but finding the balance where I talk about enough of the game without going overboard is what I'm working on.

And what exactly do you mean by "downloadable/reviewed" ratio? As in, focusing on games without or very few reviews? I actually went through the list of games I had, all of them seemed to have at least one rating to them. Gingiva's the only game so far that I managed to review that had none beforehand. Anyway, the three games I just finished were two of SnowOwl's titles, The Visitor and Miserere, and the other one Wither (which has like 12 reviews ha). And then I have ten I want to play after that.

For now I'm keeping my sights primarily set on atmospheric/surreal/psychological/existential/whatever-kind of adventure and/or RPG games especially the horror titles. I have yet to jump into the deep end yet (games I know nothing about and just randomly found here with no ratings), I've stuck so far only with games I found out through either good word-of-mouth or listings on a certain blog or two. Which is why I was very surprised to find no reviews for Gingiva, though it had been over several months since it was posted on this site.

In any case, I think I have it down what I want to write about those three games, and after all I'm not just reviewing for the contest I also want to review to give my thoughts on every game I've played that's on this site, so for me it's the more, the better, but I also understand about giving new games some attention. I'll try to see if I can find anything that grabs me, so, we'll see.

EDIT: Wait, actually there IS a game on my list of games-to-play with no ratings. I don't know how I overlooked that one. So, there is one. I'll try playing it and see if I survive the experience, wish me luck!
nhubi
Yes I can see how that could be an area you concentrate on, actually for me one of the things you seem to do is speak on a tangent sometimes, I'm afraid of girls is the one that sticks in the mind the most with the top section devoted not to the game so much as the subject matter. It was an interesting read and I'm in agreement with some of the points you raised but the actual game review didn't start until paragraph 5. Still it's enlightening.

Ah the downloadable/reviewed ratio. Every month Kentona releases the sites stats and one of them is the number of games that have a download but no review, i.e. they aren't getting any attention from the community, and may never have. So a few people, myself included, decided to see if we could do something about that and started looking for games without a review to try.

We obviously also applied our own criteria to our choices, for myself I'm not big on horror games, surreal and psychological are fine, but jump scares, gore for the sake of it, that really isn't my cup of tea. I have tried a few now and again, because you can't make a judgement call about something you've never tried, but by and large they don't work for me. I can say the same about the dating sim types, also not a favourite of mine, still I'll give one a go on occasion to see if my tastes have changed (so far, they haven't).

Still when I first started on this site the only games I played were ones that had a good review rating, so that's a perfectly logical starting point, it's just after a while I realised that there were a lot of games that I might like that I was missing out on so I tried them. As far as review writing though, I only really stayed doing that a few months back, and I've been on this site since 2007. Which meant I really was overdue for giving something back to the community.

Anyway, good luck with your non-reviewed choice I hope you enjoy it.
Very true. Featured games help a lot to search for good games as well. Especially since many games that do not have 5 stars can be almost equally enjoyable (Legendary Legend, for example)
And I commend you guys for trying to get other games more attention. There's so much work and effort put into them, would be a shame to just cast them aside.

To be honest, nhubi, I first thought you were one the old review guard, seeing how you dished out one review after another when I joined in^^

Perhaps I should give the horror ones a try then. It's odd that despite their ridiculously high download counter, most of them do not have a rating. I don't dislike them, but I'm not that easily scared, either. D is for Dungeon is a little bit slow, so I'll probably delay that for a bit anyways.
I hopefully will soon not be as active as I am, though. Until then, I'll use my time.
Yeah I myself was questioning myself if the opening polemic of my I'm Scared of Girls Review should stay or go, if it was appropriate or not, in the end though I decided to keep it in and hoped the moderators approved, which it looks like they did, so, good on that I guess. The biggest problem with it I think is that I go for a while on the subject and don't do much to tie it with the game itself (only because of how the game is vague on the character's gender identity). If it were a college paper I'd get marks for an overly drawn-out thesis statement and a failure to follow through with it and wrap it up, heh. Still I do continue to stand by the general sentiments expressed in the opening, however appropriate, well-written, or relevant it was to the rest of the review.

And about the download/review ratio, I figured that was what you were talking about and so went to the search engine, looked through lists of completed games under "Horror," "Mystery" and... "Dark." Interesting choice of genre name there. I bookmarked a bunch of unrated titles that seemed like they'd be interesting based on the screencap and game description, and also the occasional highly rated games with a decent number of reviews I've never heard of before, of which I found a few. Counting them all in total, I've got 40 games I've just discovered! Sort of... I still need to read more in depth about them.

Oh, and Office of Weirdness was a game that showed up in one of those categories, ha ha. Even if you hadn't reviewed that, I probably would've skipped it based on its really ugly art style alone. The picture of that weird eyeball forest reminds me of those wedge-shaped kid's markers where if you just scribbled all over the paper sometimes you'd get different "shades" at random (or based on how hard you're pressing in, Iunno) and then at some point they dry up making a horrible noise when you try in futility to get them to work again.
nhubi
author=Kylaila
To be honest, nhubi, I first thought you were one the old review guard, seeing how you dished out one review after another when I joined in^^

Nope I'm a nhubi when it comes to reviews.

Sorry but I've been waiting so long to make that joke. :)
Course you not. Try to aim for 50 reviews. Then you'll only be 36 away from knocking Soli off the top spot. :D
author=nhubi
Nope I'm a nhubi when it comes to reviews.

Sorry but I've been waiting so long to make that joke. :)

Q_Q...

I hope that the influx of contest games doesn't cancel out this surge of reviews. It's kind of an amazing time for the site imo; plenty of reading for me.
nhubi
author=kentona
a nubby?

Ah, regional pronunciation, I really should have factored that in. XD

Right so Bloom's is done, as is Beyond reality, and Ruby Radiance just needs some clean up before I can submit.

I'm thinking of Aesparia next or perhaps Sunken Spire, though I think that one is more a weekend game since it is well above the 1h timeframe.

edit: Also isn't it Tuesday in Canada already?

Hmm, it's already Tuesday and I have only found time for one review this week again :(. I'm working on my third one, but I guess that's for next week! I can't really crank these out like Nubby can :/