SCROLLING TEXTS

Pages: 1
I've learnt to click off the windows (I always play windowed. Always) to stop the scroll if need be. Harder to do when playing fullscreen.
This is hard for native English speakers too, TM. And annoying.

I honestly don't know why people do it. Anyway, Libby's idea certainly works!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
On the other hand, there aren't many things that annoy me more than having to sit there waiting... forever... while the game... slowly... very slowly... writes... the text... on... the screen... that I'm... supposed... to... read...

l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

seriously how fucking hard is it to just make text appear instantly and let the player hit the A button when they're done reading it
It's not as epic as scrolling text Star Wars-style.

I prefer the "very slow scrolling but become super fast scrolling when you keep confirm pressed" style. Of course just for intros. For dialogues I like the "letters make sound" Camelot style most.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I'm with you guys. Scrolling text is awful. It's always either too fast to read it all, or so slow you get tired of waiting for it. People read at different paces, too, so there's no happy medium to be found.

DON'T DO IT.

JUST 'CUZ STAR WARS DID IT DOESN'T MEAN IT WORKS.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=LockeZ
l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

I've heard that the japanese version of the game

1) Didn't have as much of a problem with the scrolling text because katakana doesn't have a shitload of letters to form it's words.
2) Didn't have the scrolling problem with that particular phrase.

It is a mystery to me what the localization did to the game that scrolled that bit to a snail's pace.

I don't care if your game has scrolling text, text that wiggles, text in different fonts, or whatever. But you had better let me skip it. Always. Don't give me that "but its a cutscene" bullcrap.
author=TungerManU
Perhaps that's best for people like me. I could as well practice my English more, but that would take too much time, and I want to play games NOW.

Playing games is the best practice to learn English .. otherwise mine would be abysmal!
But I agree that scrolling texts are awful. And yep, more than Katakana/Hiragana, Kanji reduce the size drastically. That is also the reason why during localization, the space limiations are a huge problem. You just can't fit as much in as you could with Kanji.
unity
You're magical to me.
I only use scrolling text for end-game credits.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from unity

Well, that's a different story. Nobody gives a crap about reading all the credits, so it doesn't matter if they go flying by.
author=Isrieri
I've heard that the japanese version of the game

1) Didn't have as much of a problem with the scrolling text because katakana doesn't have a shitload of letters to form it's words.
2) Didn't have the scrolling problem with that particular phrase.

It is a mystery to me what the localization did to the game that scrolled that bit to a snail's pace.

I don't care if your game has scrolling text, text that wiggles, text in different fonts, or whatever. But you had better let me skip it. Always. Don't give me that "but its a cutscene" bullcrap.

Technically it's #3: That part of the text wasn't in the Japanese version at all! Also most likely a bad use of control codes and either the Q&A team ignored it since it doesn't soft lock the game or was put in a low priority bin and shipped before it was fixed.
author=halibabica
from unity
Well, that's a different story. Nobody gives a crap about reading all the credits, so it doesn't matter if they go flying by.

I like to put little stuff at the end of credits just for fun! (Or have things occur during. Also, they're sometimes timed to music, too.)
But yeah, scroll text is good for that.
I tend to use images that fade in for intros, have it wait around 999 frames or so ( to give slower readers a chance ) then have it fade out. I tend to sync them with the music too. Gives you a lot more customisation too.

Scrolling text: Credits only.
I actually taught myself English because of games. Back in 1980s all the games that came to Europe were just left in English, so you were forced to play them in that language. I uses a portable dictionary (it's like a pocket calculator but you enter the word in English and it shows the word in your language and you can even add new translations to it).

It was funny when I had English in school, I could already pretty much fluently talk it, but only about RPG-related stuff. Like I could say "I go slay a dragon and fight the demon overlord." but when the teacher said "Bring me the piece of chalk" I didn't know what the hell a chalk is.
Pages: 1