I NEED HELP WITH THE RM2K3 DEFAULT BATTLE SYSTEM

Pages: 1
I'm trying to program a boss battle where the boss uses a certain skill every few turns, but I can't get it to function reliably. Every five turns, I want the boss to use a spell that weakens your party's defense stat and then during it's next turn, use an extremely powerful offensive spell. The spell that lowers your partys' defenses functions as a warning that the boss is about to use it's extremely devastating spell, and you're supposed to prepare by using buffing spells and defending. That's the idea, anyway.

However, as I said, it doesn't function the way it's supposed to. I'm using the "turns elapsed" function which is located within the monster's behavior section in the database. Even though I have the "priority" set to 100 for these two spells, and 1 for all the others, it still doesn't work. Sometimes the boss will use the spells, but other times he'll use the other attacks I have programmed. I need both spells to happen every few turns every time.

I've been using RPG Maker 2003/2000 for over 10 years, so it's strange that I can't get something so basic to work. I appreciate any help.
try making the bosses move do nothing but activate a switch, then program the spell in battle events?
If the boss's spell won't trigger reliably, I'm not sure if the switch will trigger either. I could try it. As well, I can't really figure out a good way to program the spell in the battle events and have it look authentic.

I guess I might have to forget about it. I've just been trying to figure out ways to make my boss battle more interesting.
2k3 'turns' is 'when anybody takes an action' which is useful for jack shit. Use a switch that's turn on when the boss uses the prep move and have the attack have a prerequisite that the switch is on and make sure the move turns the switch off.
author=GreatRedSpirit
2k3 'turns' is 'when anybody takes an action' which is useful for jack shit. Use a switch that's turn on when the boss uses the prep move and have the attack have a prerequisite that the switch is on and make sure the move turns the switch off.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm going to try that.
author=dethmetal
author=GreatRedSpirit
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm going to try that.

Also, inside the monsters group tab, you can set a trigger for an event page to "Monster has taken X*Y+Z turns". Inside this page, you could activate a switch that would be a requirement for the monster's super attack.
Pages: 1