ANIME LIST

Pages: first 12 next last
Make an anime list.
I thought this topic might be a good way to learn about some interesting animes.
So, let me know your answers to the following.

What's your favorite anime series?
- Trigun - When I was growing up Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star showed me that anime could be way more complex and interesting than just Pokemon and DragonBallZ. (No offense to PM and DBZ fans I like that stuff too) Trigun's main character Vash the Stampede and his ideals about a world made of love and peace are just one of many reasons why this show was so great.

What do you think is the best anime series?
- Mushi-shi - Every episode is a fascinating self contained drama about people dealing with mysterious life forms known as the Mushi.

What's your favortie anime movie?
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - I have a strange feeling this movie influenced Final Fantasy. It had a chocobo in it before chocobos existed lol.
It's the first Miyazaki film by the way.

What do you think is the best anime movie?
- Angel's Egg - It's been a while since I watched it but I remember it being awesomely weird and eerily silent kinda wanna watch it again. But anyway Yoshitaka Amano (The old school Final Fantasy Artist) made it. So if you like his art check it out.

What anime are you currently watching or what was the most recent one you enjoyed?
- Space Dandy - Only seen a few episodes so far but I feel like I'm watching a comedy version of Outlaw Star and it's fantastic.

What's your favorite cartoon outside of Japanese and American cartoons?
- Kirikou and the Sorceress - This is a French animation that is an African fantasy. It's about a baby boy who could speak and run incredibly fast as soon as he was born. When he learns from his mom that an evil sorceress named Karaba has killed most of his relatives and fellow villagers he decides to save the village from Karaba.
I love this movie I wish there was more African based cartoons like it (besides it' sequels that is)

-Fantastic Planet - Speaking of French cartoons I couldn't help but also mention Fantasic Planet. It's super surreal and weird as hell.
I don't watch much anime, to be honest I don't enjoy a lot of the shit that spawned from the medium, but I'm not gonna go into it cause I'll probably get crucified.

I like Trigun, Gurren Lagann, The Big O, and Hellsing Ultimate. I enjoy watching animated movies more than committing to a TV Show, because there's obviously more money going into the casting and animation, making it about infinity times more enjoyable to watch. As for my favourite anime, it's Gurren Lagann- The Big O could have easily beaten it, but the second season messed it all up royally.

As for movies, it's something that I get a drive to delve into a little every now and again, usually by searching through Wikipedia. I enjoyed Redline and Summer Wars, and let's be honest, any fan of animation probably loves Miyazaki's stuff. My favourite Japanese Animated Movie is Castle in the Sky, which also happens to be my favourite movie of all time- because it reminds me of the stories/worlds I used to create as a kid.

My favourite cartoon from outside of Japan is Rupert, the 1990s show. Pretty much the best cartoon of all time if ask me. It was the centerpiece of a lot of mt early childhood self discovery. I still watch it pretty frequently today.

author=Pizza
I don't watch much anime, to be honest I don't enjoy a lot of the shit that spawned from the medium, but I'm not gonna go into it cause I'll probably get crucified.

I like Trigun, Gurren Lagann, The Big O, and Hellsing Ultimate. I enjoy watching animated movies more than committing to a TV Show, because there's obviously more money going into the casting and animation, making it about infinity times more enjoyable to watch. As for my favourite anime, it's Gurren Lagann- The Big O could have easily beaten it, but the second season messed it all up royally.

As for movies, it's something that I get a drive to delve into a little every now and again, usually by searching through Wikipedia. I enjoyed Redline and Summer Wars, and let's be honest, any fan of animation probably loves Miyazaki's stuff. My favourite Japanese Animated Movie is Castle in the Sky, which also happens to be my favourite movie of all time- because it reminds me of the stories/worlds I used to create as a kid.

My favourite cartoon from outside of Japan is Rupert, the 1990s show. Pretty much the best cartoon of all time if ask me. It was the centerpiece of a lot of mt early childhood self discovery. I still watch it pretty frequently today.

I've seen all of those except for Redline just watched the trailer looks interesting.
Speaking of Big O I recently had the theme song of that stuck in my head cause the place I vactioned to had a shop called Big Y and everytime I saw that place the Big O song popped in my head.

Anyway I just realized I should have had
Grave of the Fireflies as the best anime movie. That might be the saddest film I've ever seen.

Oh and I'd like to add another category
What do you think is a very under appreciated anime?
- Tokyo Godfathers - It's anime about homeless people. It's an amazing drama. It makes me wish more anime would focus on stuff like this.
My favorite seriers would be Paranoia Agent together with Baccano!

Best in general is hard to say. There are some excellent in its genre, although I find Paranoia Agent very compelling for blending together absurd, crazy stuff with characters and motives that are the closest to real life I've had seen in anime.
There are some stylistically recommendable anime such as Boogiepop Phantom, but you can't just go down to down.

Favorite movie is definitely Paprika. Such is the best anime movie I've seen.
The Perfect Blue was fascinating as well, but does stay too blurry.

Ask me something easier : D I remember only childhood cartoons and I wouldn't know where they originally were from.
I think I'd say "The wood in danger" (Als die Tiere den Wald verließen). I wasn't able to watch it all, but I absolutely loved it at the time.
Death Note is both my favorite and imo the best anime there is. Nothing can compete with its tension (Code Geass gets close but is just not as good).

Out of the animes I watched recently Knights of Sidonia (jap. Sidonia no Kishi) is the best by far, before that, it was Attack On Titan.

I also like the long running series Naruto and One Piece.
But not Bleach.

I don't really think there are any anime movies or cartoons I liked at all. At least I can't remember any. So I'll just mention Breaking Bad as the favorite/best non-anime series.
My favourite is Shakugan no Shana. I've been with it since its visual novel days, and I can't explain how deeply I love this series.

Apparently, though, this series isn't well known outside asia. Oh well...

I also think D-Gray man deserves more attention than it is getting right now. The concept and execution is just wonderful.

Others that I also liked are Full metal alchemist, azumanga daiyoh, lucky star, blade, one piece, and atm, watamote.

About anime movies, I haven't watched lots really, so I can't judge properly.

Now, cartoons outside japanese and western? I honestly don't know any, sorry.

I guess that's everything...
I just remembered a non-anime cartoon I liked: Daria!

And I guess the usual stuff: Simpsons, Spongebob, Family Guy

And best one is probably South Park for its amazing critique on humanity.
It’s a close one between the Vision Of Escaflowne or Fate Stay Night, but I’ll ultimately go with Escaflowne. Because at the time when I first watched it way back in highschool, I was completely blown away with its incredible visuals, complex storytelling and incredible music by Yoko Kanno. To me, it was the first “serious” sort of anime I had ever seen outside of Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z and Pokemon. I also remember back then that all of my nerdy friends that I hung out with were all into Gundam Wing and they couldn’t really understand why I liked Escaflowne so much over something like Gundam. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To this day, I still enjoy watching Escaflowne the odd time, both English dub and Japanese.

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.

(Square-Enix, why couldn’t you just make and put this out instead of that god awful Sprits Within crap?)

What anime are you currently watching or what was the most recent one you enjoyed?
Hmmmm…I haven’t watched that much anime in the last little while, but I remember that the last one I watched in its entirety was Daughter Of The Twenty Faces, which was sort of based on a true story. It actually wasn't that bad, last time I remembered it.

I really should start watching some more anime again.
Hm... I can't narrow it down to one, so I'd have to narrow it down to a few.
Clannad: Made me cry... didn't quite like the ending, but it's tough to make me cry!
Azumanga Daioh: Made me laugh way harder than I should have.
Monster: Just sublime, I loved the dark atmosphere, the complicated plot, and even though it's long (for someone with my attention span/schedule), I found myself not wanting to stop watching.

And finally *drum roll*
Garzey's wing: Because WHY NOT? It's the birdemic of anime!

5 centimeters per second: Beautifully animated, very good script. The story is somewhat generic, but really beautiful and touching.

Denpa teki na kanojo: Finished it recently. Some quite random stuff, but I really liked it. Very well achieved. Very weird.

Peppa pig, because I'm about as immature as it gets, and that makes me laugh!
I also love Paranoia Agent, Escaflowne, and some of the other animes that you all mentioned.

As for stuff I'm not aware of,
Boogiepop Phantom looks interesting I might check it out.

D-Gray man might be cool but damn that's a lot of episodes.

5 centimeters per second looks really nice definitely will give it a watch.

I watched the 1st episode of Knights of Sidonia it seemed a bit jumbled and clustered if you know what I mean but maybe it'll get better as the show goes on. I'll probably keep watching.

I can't remember if I finished watching Monster but it was really good.

Some of the other stuff that was mentioned will also be put in my anime waiting list of stuff to watch thanks for the input.

Definitely give Boogiepop Phantom a go. It's kinda like a mix of Serial Experiments Lain (which, I admit, I didn't enjoy much) and Paranoia Agent.
Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime series. It's stylistic, self-aware, sad and fun, with fantastic music and visuals. There's a fair bit of symbolism and metaphor in there that goes *way* beyond hyperbole, and it's open-ended enough to allow different audiences their own readings. Really smart.

Coming in close second is Paranoia Agent, which I feel is probably the best anime series available. Satoshi Kon, rest his soul, was a genius who exercised a wonderful understanding of philosophy, fandom and consumer media through his lens of highly-skilled dadaist animation. Everybody should see Paranoia Agent, and Kon's other works, even if they don't like anime.

My favorite anime movie is Tekkonkinkreet, based on the manga of the same name by the inimitable Taiyo Matsumoto. Similar to Kon's works, the film is animated in a distinctly recognizable and unconventional style. While action-packed, exciting and visually stunning, it also happens to be a heartbreaking story of adolescent same-sex love. Makes me cry every time. Coming in close second would be Ghost in the Shell 1&2 for me.

I've just started watching Psycho Pass, which I think is a very competent cyberpunk anime. Almost as good as Ghost in the Shell. It's by Urobuchi Gen, and while I didn't think too highly of Madoka, he's proved himself with Psycho Pass. I'm also watching Crunchyroll's simucasts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Season 3, and DRAMAtical Murder, two anime series which are very ridiculous but visually arresting.

As for animation made outside Japan...I'm enjoying Bob's Burgers a lot at the moment. I'm a big fan of Loren Bouchard's shows and of Jon Benjamin as a voice actor/comedian. I was an avid watcher of Home Movies when it was on the air.
I don't claim to be well-versed in anime TV series (movies I am more familiar with), but Steins;Gate really struck a good chord with me. It prevents all the familiar cliches of anime that are off-putting to the non-initiated (like myself), opting for an intelligent thrill-ride that explores the nature of time travel like few TV series do. That, along with a heartfelt romance between two likable characters, bucking the trend of having the main protagonist always doted over by his harem of attractive, large-busted ladies. The few anime cliches the series does use, it employs in such a self-referential manner in order to make it fresh and interesting.

I am not a big fan of those who prioritize "feels" over good story, so series like Clannad didn't strike a chord with me. At least the first season didn't. The second season was a clever switch on the traditional high school romance, showing what would happen after such a thing would occur. Touching on themes such as unemployment, sickness and general hopelessness, I thought it was a much more mature outing than Season 1, even if the endings didn't really wrap themselves up too much at the end. An excuse about a parallel universe later, and we're back to Steins;Gate territory, except far less fleshed out and much more naive about the possibilities.

Films-wise, I am much more well versed. My favourite anime film is a Miyazaki film, Kiki's Delivery Service. It is a quietly powerful film, showing Kiki's loss of flight as a metaphor for her slow realization that adulthood isn't as peachy as she thought it would be. A slow descent into vulnerability that leaves this kids film a bit more potent than it really ought to be. Close to this film's grace is Porco Rosso, a heady political statement on fascism and war.

I've yet to see The Wind Rises, but I really want to.

My favourite animated film outside Japan and America would probably be the Triplets of Belleville. It is a near wordless film that plays like a newspaper caricature, perfectly depicting struggle through hopelessness and using a beautiful array of animation techniques to achieve brilliance without even saying many words. The Illusionist is also close. I think I have a thing for quiet films.
Well, this is a topic I have alot of experience with, and yes I am going to make a blunt disclaimer that will probably get me assassinated: 85% of all anime is terrible. And I am saying that as a man who went to japan to go and watch the stiens;gate movie on the silver screen, so... I know how bad my tastes can be.

My favorite Anime is going to have to be either Baccano! or Fate Zero. Baccano, with it's slick presentation and Tarantino-equese way of telling it's story sold me with a flash. I have alot of respect for Fate Zero as well, for Gen Urobuchi to take the train wreck that is fate stay night(I love the visual novel of Fate, but I will be honest, it has alot of weak story elements), and make it into a almost movie quality of professionalism. I want to add Stiens;Gate, but I am a little to biased for that; I loved Stiens;Gate to the point I watched the movie on opening day... XD

So, movie time! Hands down, all of the Kara no Kyoukai films (Am I outing myself as a shameless Type-moon fan here?) are beautiful works of both animation, emotion and storytelling. Right after that, I am going to stick to the old Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. It had such stunning visuals, with a character with such a presence that inspires even the viewer with a sense of patriotism for neo-zeon. Of course, the movie is flawed, but it is one of my favorites.
Log Horizon. It's about gamers trapped inside an MMO, except in this one it's ok to die. Sort of. And NPC's are people, too.
janussenpre
愛・おぼえていますか
-Nodame Cantabile

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (difficult question)

What's your favorite anime movie?
-Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away

-Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away (1st)
-Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (2nd)
-5 cm Per Second (3rd)

-Hyouka

-Such a thing exists? (kidding)
author=facesforce
85% of all anime is terrible.

Seconded.
Like with all mediums and all stuff, practically. Let's be honest.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
^Aye.

This is a really hard question to answer, but I think in terms of favourites The Tatami Galaxy is hard to beat. The art style, the setting and the overall plot are all pretty bizarre but work oh so well.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, definitely. I don't think many people who've seen the show would ever rate it below 9 or 10 out of 10. As to why it's so good, it's probably due to character interactions as well as the complexity behind the whole, fairly easy-to-understand setting. As one of the main characters, Yang Wenli, puts it: "There are few wars between good and evil: most are between one good and another good.".

Akira. I've never been an anime movie fan, to be honest - not even Studio Ghibli interests me all that much.

Spirited Away I guess.

Quite a few:

- As Pizza mentioned, Space Dandy is pretty hilarious, and it breaks a lot of traditional storytelling barriers as well which is always a plus in my book.
- Jormungand deserves a lot more praise. Has received many comparisons to Black Lagoon over the years, but besides the whole 'gritty' aspect to both series, I think Jormungand is a bit less dark and much more complex, largely owing to the different premise, centering around arms-dealing as opposed to blowing shit up all the time (although there's a fair amount of that too). Koko Hekmatyar is far from your average anime heroine and kicks a lot more ass, albeit mostly verbally and tactically. I also enjoyed the globetrotting aspect of the show: One minute Koko & Co are in Africa, the next they're in England, and so on. It's really cool to see such global awareness in an anime.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt wouldn't be to most people's tastes, but there's a certain charm to all the raucous swearing and blatant political incorrectness in the show. The dub is magnificent and is +1000x more OTT than subs.

Haven't really seen many. Danger Mouse I guess.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in the whole MyAnimeList thing, here's mine. I know, it's a bit sparse, but quality over quality, right??
Pages: first 12 next last