A LITTLE HELP WITH MY ROOFING STYLE TILING?

Pages: 1
I hope this is the correct place for this thread. I'm trying not to clutter up the screenshot topic with my posts about this. I was told there are some very good pixel artists over in this forum that might be able to give me some direction or help with my project. :)

Here is my problem I'm attempting to make my own diaganol roofing style tileset to for my towns/buildings. So primarily I'm working with tileset A3 and C.

I am really new and inexperienced so I am not sure exactly what is good practice and what is bad in creating these types of tiles. Below is a relevant screenshot of the example building I have so far. (please ignore lack of shadows I'm working on those at the moment lol).

I'd suggest making the angles the same on all sides. That is, take the angle \ on the roof and make all angled sides the same. Even if it takes up more tiles, it will look a lot better.

e- what I'm trying to say is make all the angles like the inner angles so that the tip of the roof is at the same height all the way along.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Actually the way the roof is angled on each of those side buildings looks odd. Not just the outside angle, but the inner angle too. The angles are not in proportion to each other.
As with what everyone had said, the angle of the diagonal tiles look awkward and unrealistic. You'll have to change that, I guess.

Also, I think you should make your cliffs less angular. They look to unnaturally straight-edged. You should add more curves and the like.
Didn't I just help you with this the other day on IRC?
Lower the height of the roof so that you can have the same angle on the right and left.
Am I the only one who thinks the pathway from where the building starts to the door is too short? It appears to be shorter than the roof on the sides.
The middle part needs to be more tile further in the back.

So do you guys think it looks better like this then?

The reason I was doing it that way is that in the screenshot topic when I had posted something similar to that, Liberty told me it looked like the roof was climbing the wall and to look into the Mack tileset which I did.

They use angles like this example picture:

I outlined it in pink so you can see that it clearly does not match the front. Sorry for being so noob but what am I doing wrong here?
author=Kylaila
Am I the only one who thinks the pathway from where the building starts to the door is too short? It appears to be shorter than the roof on the sides.
The middle part needs to be more tile further in the back.

Yeah I was actually just thinking that earlier I am working at transitioning it a bit better.
I meant adjusting the base of the middle part rather than shortening the roof. Not talking about the roof here.
The base in the middle is popping out, it needs to be further in the back.
That's also the reason why your roof seems too large.

I leave the roof to you guys.

Edit: You may notice with the pic below. the middle part is one tile up compared to the sides. Above has one tile as well, but the sides are longer.

This is my latest try at getting the style of roof to work for me. It's a different test project I made to test out the changes to the tileset.
I'll keep trying and eventually get it right. I could really use some feedback on these two different angles though.

The one in the right looks better. I suggest you shade the right side of the diagonal roof (since your light is coming from the left side).
So I applied shading to the right side thanks for pointing that out. It looks more defined now.

I have to ask why you say the lower one looks better though? I doesn't really go well with the 1:1 ratio found in 3/4 perspective does it?

Here is what I mean:

The roof looks in proportion here because it is approximately 1:1 ratio with the brick tile. Now I could make the brick tile smaller, but I'm going for a taller look to my game than the normal rpg maker style. Something that is closer to the Mack tileset style and characters is what I'm after/using.

You can see in the above image that the roof appears much smaller and thus not in proportion to the actual size of the building.

I could try to combine the two styles like in the above image, but I feel that the result is not very good.

Any ideas here, cause I'm at a loss. :(

Also sorry if I'm appearing difficult, I'm just very confused about this part and want to get it right before I move on to other aspects.
Try going for something in between the first and the second screenshot. The third one, as you stated, looks a bit awkward.
Look into the RTP file of your engine, and use that as reference.

Alternatively, you could opt for a flattened roof (like the one in the rtp).
Hey, a pretty good start! I have a few comments about the building.

• I would personally remove the dithering on the bricks and the roof. Beginners tend to overuse dithering a lot, but generally you only want to use it when you really, really want the texture or have a very limited palette. Also, instead of copying and pasting the same brick everywhere, I would make variations to break it up. Some can be a slightly different hue, have different shading patterns, etc.
  • Put the highlight on the sideways roof tiles along the (physical) bottom of the tile instead of close to the camera. Right now the tiles sort of look like they're coming towards the camera.
  • Instead of simply making your colors darker to create shadows, shift the hue more towards blue or purple. Also try to have all of the shadows in the scene tend towards the same color. A unified shadow color is one of the easiest ways to make your colors look cohesive in a scene. This interview with a talented artist talks a bit about how he selects colors, and the color chart might be a good thing to look at.

Pages: 1