'NEW' FLAGS ON OLD TOPICS. IS IT JUST ME, OR...

Pages: 1
I've noticed that the 'new' flag in the forums don't disappear even when the topic's last post was, say, a month ago. It seems to only disappear if I open the open the topic. This isn't much, but it's a bit confusing to see a topic flagged as 'new' only to find that it has died out a week ago.

So I'll ask, is it just me and my crappy machine? Or is anyone else out there noticing this?
It's related to whether you looked at the topic or not. So if you look at that topic it will turn off the flag. It's to let people know if something in that area of the forum (or a specific topic) has had more activity since last you checked.
Oh. I thought it was related to the age of the topic.
May I suggest this though? I mean, two flags: one for new, and another for unread.
Not much purpose to this other than convenience, though...
It's sorted from new to old (top to bottom), so there is no dire need for it.
It would be a nice touch nevertheless
If you click on the Community header you'll find that on the side is a list of the newest topics (as well as the forum itself, newest posts and statuses). Most people tend to use the Community page to the Forum one for just this reason, and since the topic list doesn't really move very fast (that is, we don't get more than maybe 5-10 new topics a day, if that sometimes) you don't really need more than that. ;p There's also the time stamp next to a thread to let you know when it was posted to help with that.

That said, it'd be nice to have a "View More" button under newest threads like we do for newest statuses and newest posts. There's been a few times I've wanted to see some of the more recent topics without delving into the different forums.

Another problem that I seem to have is that the new flag doesn't seem to disappear if I open a couple of threads in separate tabs, even after closing the browser and reopening it. Maybe it's just my browser not registering the ones in new tabs?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=SnowOwl
Another problem that I seem to have is that the new flag doesn't seem to disappear if I open a couple of threads in separate tabs, even after closing the browser and reopening it. Maybe it's just my browser not registering the ones in new tabs?

Notices and unread mail have the same problem.

Also, if you use multiple computers, the "new" topics in the forums are tracked seperately. This is most amusing when it lists a topic as "unread" for me but I was the most recent person to post in it!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Yes, using different computers can be real annoying for this. I have clicked on topics to realize I have already read them.
Hell, it doesn't even need to be new computers. It does that with just a different browser (switching from Firefox to Chrome or vice versa). But yeah, I notice it happens mostly if you open new tab OR 'back' to the previous page (usually checking a thread then clicking back to the Community hub).

Welp~
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=LockeZ
Also, if you use multiple computers, the "new" topics in the forums are tracked seperately. This is most amusing when it lists a topic as "unread" for me but I was the most recent person to post in it!

I think issue here is that RMN stores that into cookies instead storing it into server-side DB like any sane CMS should do.
I think it is time for you to go build your own forum and game hosting site, Rave.
Pages: 1