IDEA FOR A HIGH RISK ATTACK IN VX ACE. ANY SCRIPTS CURRENTLY ALLOW THIS?

Pages: 1
UPRC
Exciting, but ultimately pointless.
Hey folks.

So I have an idea for an ability that I think could be interesting. It would essentially be the following...

1. Extremely low MP cost.
2. Above average/fairly high damage.
3. Hits a random enemy.
4. Has a different elemental property each time it is used.

It's the fourth point I'm stumped on. I'm at work so I can't stare at VX Ace, but I'm pretty sure that you can't make something use a different element each time it is used, right? Like the first round the skill is used, it inflicts fire damage. Second round it would inflict fire. Third round, something else. Totally random. This would require scripting, right? Are there any scripts that currently do anything like this? Allowing you to make a skill inflict random elemental damage each time it is used?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Even though I don't use VX Ace, I can think of two ways to do this even without scripting:

1. Make one distinct but unlearnable skill for every element (i.e. they all have the same stats but different names and a different element). Then have your High Risk Skill activate a Common Event where one of the elemental skills is chosen at random (using the random variable function) and then used. This is pretty inelegant as it is essentially one skill triggering another skill, and the player can see this.

2. The better choice in my opinion: Make multiple instances of your High Risk Skill, all with the same name and the same stats, but different elements. Create a Common Event that is triggered by each of these spells. Set this Common Event (that is activated every time after either of the variations of the High Risk Skill is used) to have the character forget all of the variations of the skill. Then have it choose one of the variations at random that the character learns.
What this does is that every time one of the skill variations is used, the character loses the skill and learns another elemental variation of it. But the player will be unable to tell the difference as he can't see which of the variations the character currently has.
(If you're really paranoid and afraid the player could abuse this by saving after a battle, testing which variation he currently has and then reloading, you can also have the Common Event trigger at the start of each battle, too. Then there will be no predictability at all.)
I have a half finished skill substitution script... somewhere. If conditions laid out in the script were met then instead of executing Skill X it would instead execute Skill Y. It was originally intended that a skill that targets a single ally would do X but if used on the caster would be more potent (skill Y). I'll have to change it to accommodate more than one condition/skill which shouldn't be too hard except for chaining a statement together. In a case like random numbers I'd probably just use the Graphics.frame_count as a random number.

Alternatively I can just do a hard coded slaptogether that does the same thing in the battle engine backend.
UPRC
Exciting, but ultimately pointless.
Hmm...
author=NeverSilent
Even though I don't use VX Ace, I can think of two ways to do this even without scripting:

1. Make one distinct but unlearnable skill for every element (i.e. they all have the same stats but different names and a different element). Then have your High Risk Skill activate a Common Event where one of the elemental skills is chosen at random (using the random variable function) and then used. This is pretty inelegant as it is essentially one skill triggering another skill, and the player can see this.

I never thought of trying something like that. With VX Ace, my mind usually always default to scripts now rather than trying to be inventive with eventing. I'll probably try to give that method a go when I've got time!
This can be done via a script method in Game_BattlerBase, if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to write a new damage formula method and call it in the damage formula input box for the skill (i.e. b.highrisk_attack(a, b)).

What you'd have to do is this...

1. If you want the skill's counter to reset for each battle, then you'd create a variable in the method and set it to zero before the rest of the method runs. If not, don't add the check for it.

2. The variable will store what element is being used, up to a certain point depending on how many elements you want it to cycle through, where it would then reset to zero (or one, if you prefer) if it were to be raised too high.

3. Based on the variable outcome, the element of the damage applied changes.

4. Apply damage formula.

I will try to write this up for you when I get back home tonight.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Presumably you'd want each elemental version to have its own animation, so that the player knows what element was used.

I mean, if you don't, then just forget the element thing and give it a 25% chance of doing double damage or half damage, IMO. The benefit of showing the player which element was used is that they can learn about the enemy, and use the correct elements on purpose with other skills afterwards. If the player can't tell what actually happened with your random skill, the skill is pretty silly and pointless.

With that in mind, having different skills for each element would probably be the simplest answer. Scripting it to show a different animation is kind of a pain in the ass. Rather than having one skill call another, though, I would just the character learn one of the damage skills. Have the skill deal its damage, show its animation, and also call a common event. The common event would cause the character to unlearn the skill they just used, and then learn one of the other elemental skills at random. Give all eight skills the same name and description, so the player can't tell them apart based on what they see in the menu. To the player it will look like the same skill.
With Force Action, you don't even need to have the user learn the skill. If he wanted to go the route of using a Common Event to call the appropriate skill, it would only take nine skills (8 for elements, one to call the right skill) and a single variable.

UPRC, your battle system might require you to add some wait commands in that Common Event to allow the animations to finish. Probably not, though.
Pages: 1