HOW DO YOU MAKE FRIENDS?

Pages: first 1234 next last
I was always curious about how people made friend, especially on the internet. Do people really just go up to somebody and just...talk? I really lost here.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I jabber on about game design in the forums here until someone gets intrigued enough with my games or I get intrigued enough about their games for us to exchange AIM screen names to talk about game design and help each-other on our games. Then sometimes gradually we also start to talk about other things.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Join IRC, talk to king arthur about anime or with melchior about fantasy stuff, bother k-hos about spriting, high-five rhyme, send money to arc, sprite NES style tilesets for kentona, tell me how great i am, it's easy to get involved around here.
Holbert sent me a copy of SWTOR so that he'd have a dad-friend to play with.

The moral of the story is you can buy friends. (sub-plot: you can buy my friendship)
Whats IRC and AIM? Thanks for the tips! RMN doesn't havea traditional friend system does it? Like in MMO's?

Edit:Sorry kentona, I'm broke :(
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
In the above links click on community and then #rpgmaker.net IRC.

If you're using firefox it should open up a window and connect you to our IRC which is like a chatroom.

It's been kinda inactive lately but there's no reason to not try and spur up some good conversation!

After all, I'm finally back after a long hiatus...
Sometimes I randomly send people PM's, to comment on something they posted on the site or wrote in their profile. Often times a few messages are exchanged and nothing comes of it besides a better familiarity around the site. Which can lead to becoming friends down the road.

But once and a while you find someone you keep in touch with. Usually by finding common ground outside of RMN, like Deviantart. Maybe you talk about game design or even work on a game together. I've made friends by helping people with pixel art, beta testing, and reviewing.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Integrate yourself into activities. "Activities" can be a lot of things. Game making. Forum posting. Game playing. Collab projects. Going on canoe trips. Babysitting. Bowling.

The trick is figuring out how to keep friends once you make them - I'm bad at following up with folks in real life.
Making friends is mainly just going up to them and bringing in energy.
If you find common ground, you procceed. If not, you made a nice comment or interaction. Even with strangers, or half-strangers (you know those people you see all the time but never talked to?) - if you just greet or make a comment it can possibly lead to more conversation. And if not, then you at least brought some variety to them.

I've made a real friend at a con last year just because I started talking to her while I was queueing up for something. We got along well, grouped up and we met again there one year later. We get along better than ever, I'll be visiting her when I'll be passing by the area.

It's harder on the internet, because while you have all possibilities of interacting, you
1. usually don't make it personal
2. usually don't use these possibilites anyways
3. don't have many activities you could join in on
4. only have small portion of vision -> less stuff to comment on/notice

If you have a more personal comment or just a question that occured to you, just send a pm. Preferably to someone who knows of your internet existance. Interacting more in general will make you known more, and you'll be more familier with people, so that should feel more natural.
If you've crossed over people on many topics or the like, just drop down a "hi". That's often times enough to spark a conversation. And if it dies down, then it does.
No worrying about interaction holes or silence. It's only awkward when you make it that way.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
What people said earlier I guess... add them on Skype or IRC. If you don't know what it is, google it, but Skype is just a personal chat system, and IRC is a non-personal chat system. If that makes sense. It's probably technically incorrect but meh.
I try to be friendly no matter what is happening. The more comfortable I feel the more I'll talk. So I try and make myself comfortable wherever I am or whoever I'm talking to.

On the internet I just post a lot and, again, try to be friendly even if I don't particularly feel like being nice.

Remember a friendship doesn't usually occur right away and be yourself!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I think the hard part is maintaining the friendships once you make them: There's always the possibility of drifting away from someone you thought you got on relatively well with simply because you don't converse as often as you used to. Constant communication is key.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Today I realised I've never made an RMN friend :(
author=Tau
Today I realised I've never made an RMN friend :(

You're not the only one.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Oh come on, we're all friends here!

(I like to think so, anyway.....)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You can create your own friends using your imagination!
...I just adopted a whole site of people and added them to my mental 'Friendship Book'. Yes, it has ponies and rainbows and butterflies on the cover. Shut up. I can too be girly (sometimes).

Seriously* though? I consider most of RMN my gammak buddies, though there are some I am closer to than others. I'm... not really sure how that happened. People just kidnapped me. I'm easy like that and only like that >:|

* Honestly? I mention a lot of you guys to people I know... usually in the context of 'such and such said something fu-... uh... you don't know them' or 'oh, did you see the po--- nevermind' or even 'man, x's game is looking really ...fuck, uh pretend you care about this topic for a moment, okay?' <- Literal conversations I have had with irl friends. >.<;
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Liberty
* Honestly? I mention a lot of you guys to people I know... usually in the context of 'such and such said something fu-... uh... you don't know them' or 'oh, did you see the po--- nevermind' or even 'man, x's game is looking really ...fuck, uh pretend you care about this topic for a moment, okay?' <- Literal conversations I have had with irl friends. >.<;

Definitely this is an answer. I recently told my friend that one of the guys on this site was 69 and I found that really admirable and he found it admirable too. I think it was Linkis. I just love that anyone here should feel welcome. But I talk to some members via Skype that I've got to know, mostly from team stuff that never quite worked out. I just talk to them from time to time. Also there's like livestreams and stuff where you can chat. But IRC is a good avenue. Cool, right?
I am actually quite introverted irl. Hell, if my classmates didn't gang up and beat me up befriended me, then I wouldn't have had any friends...

That said, internet friends are quite hard to maintain (unless you talk every other hour). But I just stick with my logic: Call me your friend, and BAM! We're friends. Easy, right?

Idk, I haven't been here too long yet. And though I am starting to get recognised here (thanks to my post rampage ;p), I've yet to know whether that will improve or not.

The guys here are great! I'm sure you'll find a friend or two. Or 42,000.

At least there aren't too many jerks to wade through, unlike that elitist site I came from.
This site here has a wonderful atmosphere. You know, like cons or so - you can talk to anybody just as if they were your friends. And they are (to some degree, of course). Just a bunch of people having fun : D

Yeah, you get closer to only a few people, but hey, who cares.
Pages: first 1234 next last