HOW DO YOU MAKE FRIENDS?

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Dudesoft
I've only made online friends, really, on irc or chat programs. Then again, Gaming World had a couple big get togethers that made me a few friends, and I've visited like a weirdo a couple people here. IRL < Online.
Not always an option, I guess.
Until very recently, I was the same, and those online friends are still much closer than my friends in a local vicinity.

My grandma acted like they didn't count-- which is farcical. I've had just as enjoyable experiences with friends oceans away from me than I have in real life with friends in my local vicinity.

It is admittedly... not quite the same as being there with them, but I still consider my online friends far closer despite our physical distance.
Just be real, honestly. If you have a genuine, friendly personality with something to offer depending on the context (in this case, something to do with game development/gaming), people will gravitate towards you. Being unique or having something interesting about you goes leagues as long way as well.

Making a connection with other people isn't difficult if you're open and you put yourself out there. It's a natural thing that occurs over time. I've made some pals myself around here, and I really dig it.
I don't really go out of my way to try and make friends online, but that's mostly because I'm generally introverted and I suck at doing so! If it happens then it happens (and it does sometimes), but I haven't been a terribly social fellow in the RPG Maker scene since probably 2005-2006ish back on Gaming World.

author=Kylaila
This site here has a wonderful atmosphere. You know, like cons or so - you can talk to anybody just as if they were your friends. And they are (to some degree, of course). Just a bunch of people having fun : D

Which is a big plus, I find! We're all doing the same thing, working on games and are mostly using the same two or three engines, and it makes us all feel like a big group of peers/workmates who gather around the water cooler to discuss the latest stuff we've been up to lately in our chosen game making engines.
Yeah, it's one of the many great things about common goals. It's easy, relaxed and that's what a place like this is for ;)

author=Feldschlacht IV

Making a connection with other people isn't difficult if you're open and you put yourself out there. It's a natural thing that occurs over time. I've made some pals myself around here, and I really dig it.

Just wanted to highlight that. It's the truth! It needs a little bit effort, especially being an introvert, but being open doesn't mean that you need to be open about anything, or anything personal. But if you go out of your way a little bit, it'll do wonders.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=UPRC
Which is a big plus, I find! We're all doing the same thing, working on games and are mostly using the same two or three engines, and it makes us all feel like a big group of peers/workmates who gather around the water cooler to discuss the latest stuff we've been up to lately in our chosen game making engines.
I have been only here like, two fuckin' months, but I already see why this place is still goin' the community in general is just very friendly.

Had an account here since 2011, I was all MEH FORUMS! but came around recently to check them out.

Now this and VX.net serve as my big hubs.
Well outside the internet, best place to make friends is going to activities, and just get a conversation going when it presents itself. Sometimes bars are a good place especially when they have events going on.
Internet: Just leave comments and say things I'd say if I were around my friends. Sometimes conversations strike up, sometimes they don't. I just never go in with the intention of making friends, I just be myself and let things happen.

IRL: Same thing, minus the comments lol. I'm extremely introverted/awkward. Small talk stresses me out so much that my mind goes blank and I end up sounding weird/goofy/stupid. So I keep to myself, and if someone talks to me, I talk back, and if they're not weirded out by my standoff-ish manner and stressed out blubbering and want to talk more, friend made LOL. Although, if someone walks up to me and is all like "What do you like?" and I'm all like "Art, video games and stupid hypothetical scenario discussions" and they're all like "Wanna talk about those" then I'm all like LET'S TALK XD
I was ( and still am ) pretty shy IRL, but I was forced to come out of my shell when I was part of my country's 2011 census ( going up to complete strangers and asking them those personal questions wasn't easy ) but it helped me a lot. Now I'm a bit more outgoing and will strike up a convo, but normally I'm not the initiator. XD

Most of my common interests ( making games, Fire Emblem and the Sims ) aren't shared by my RL friends, so yeah. Its a lot easier to talk about stuff like that on the net. I mean, I talk for up to six hours with my Aussie buddy on Skype about FE ( especially since our OTP happens to be the same ) and Sims, lol.
Who needs friends when you got REAL MEN, am I rite?

But yeah, like everybody says: be bold, be brave, be bodacious! Talk your ass off until they tell you to shut up or they just walk away or when they get tired of your awful jokes and awful impersonations of various/dead celebrities. I always find it easier to make more friends with people my own age at work than I do outside of it. Anyways, I’m usually the type of person that likes to keep to himself, but I can turn on the charm when it needs be. All you gotta do is get in there and just say something…anything. You’d be surprised how often that works.
I just act down-to-earth with a likable sense of humor (basically my personality in general, heh) and try to keep it slow but steady while keeping up my end of the conversation. I try to stay at a steady pace instead of rushing things, basically.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I surprised people are still posting on this topic.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I surprised people are still posting on this topic.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Thought I already made a post about this, but I guess not. Welp

I think meeting other people and getting through the initial awkwardness is easy enough once you find any sort of common ground - the hard part is maintaining friendships. People eventually move on from whatever life stage they're currently in and can end up forgetting about you in the midst of their business if you're not careful. For example, after graduating I'm finding it hard to keep in touch with my University friends, despite trying to arrange meet-ups every week.
I'm awful at making friends in real life, mostly because I'm exceptionally private. Even when I know that the person I'm talking with shares my interests, for some reason I just don't feel comfortable revealing anything about myself or said interests. It literally takes ages for me to open up to people. Once I do, everything is fine, but getting to that point is a long and arduous process... and I'm eternally grateful for the friends I have who stuck around all that time.

I'm not as bad on the Internet, but it's still not super easy for me to insert myself into a community like this one. I lurked around here for a long time before I decided that you weren't entirely awful people and there was a chance that I might fit in and perhaps even make a friend or two. Or none.

author=yuna21
Most of my common interests ( making games, Fire Emblem and the Sims )
I love all of those things. XD

author=BizarreMonkey
It is admittedly... not quite the same as being there with them, but I still consider my online friends far closer despite our physical distance.
This. I was sick on New Year's Eve last year, so I was unable to go out or do anything. I wound up spending the entire night online with my Internet friends, and I think I probably had a better time with them than I would have had with my real life friends.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
oh like, on the internet. no clue.

let me know if you ever need to know how to make enemies, though. XD
i mostly made a lot of weird jokes and was active in a small community. eventually a few people started talking to me and EVEN ASKED FOR MY YIM AND STUFF and boy howdy i sure did the chat thing and it was stressful because ANXIETY.

later on, i reconnected with a coupla old folks from that same community who ended up sharing my values a lot more, and i also joined up with a friend's gaming group and met people through that.

now i spend my friday nights RPing about gay vampires. you, too, can achieve this level of success by initiating conversations with other people who seem cool.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Max McGee

I've been away too long. I took this as an offer for help with RM databasing.
author=yuna21
Hi five, Alpha. XD
Right on! Those three hobbies have killed more hours of time that I could possibly hope to recount, but it's all time well spent, I think. I'm sure you'd agree. XD
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=LouisCyphre
author=Max McGee

I've been away too long. I took this as an offer for help with RM databasing.

hehehe, I'm good at that also