OK, SO WHAT THE HECK IS #SHUMP?

now we contain the rawness to IRC. I am a TOTAL DICK in IRC. (compared to the forums, where I am only a partial dick)
As kentona said, the shmup crew were all pretty good game creators in their own right, and it's a pity things fell out the way it did because some great people left the site because if it.

As for why people don't like to bring it up - well, the same reason people prefer to forget about the other dramas that went on in the past - partly because there's a chance of refuelling the fires and partly because time passes and you tend to forget about what really caused what after a while and telling the story wrong just ain't right. Hell, I was there and I can't really remember what sparked it all off. I think part of it was the removal of one of the main shmup members from staff and another was calling someone out for being an ass to everyone.

Back then, sad to say, a lot of people weren't as friendly towards newbies as we now are. There was a lot of 'holier than thou' and chasing people away who were still learning the program and design/mapping aesthetic. There's a reason a lot of RM sites considered RMN to be pretentious. We've gotten a hell of a lot better now, mainly thanks to people like Decky and kentona working their asses off to make sure everyone is held to the same standards and keeping drama from flaring up unnecessarily.

....why don't I feel like I work my ass off, then? like, seriously (and this may be the rum talking) but I feel like I put in the bare minimum of effort here and many of you treat me like some kind of all-knowing-wise-purveyor of all things good.

I'm not. I'm kind of lazy (some of you have picked up on that)(goes back to work on next 30 hour epic solo RPG)
I'm actually meaning back when you first took over. It's only natural that with the site actually becoming more stable and set-up that work amounts would decrease quite a bit, but you did work hard to get it to where it currently is. (Or at least, that's my assumption. Maybe it didn't take as much work to get things rolling in the right direction as I assume. If so, then good! Just means we weren't too far off to start with. And if not, then you do deserve some praise.)
well, I probably put in more work here than I realize, and it is nice to be appreciated. thanks.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I hate that kentona, what a depraved guy that is.

Ya know, neglecting Alicorn and all.

ALICORN >:(
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=kentona
I'm not. I'm kind of lazy (some of you have picked up on that)(goes back to work on next 30 hour epic solo RPG)

“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

― Bill Gates
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=kentona

Have you started your IGMC game yet???
author=Despite
I hate that kentona, what a depraved guy that is.

Ya know, neglecting Alicorn and all.

ALICORN >:(

HOW CAN YOU HATE KENTONA!?!?!?!?!? HE IS A GREAT GUY!!!! AND YES, I KNOW I'M ALL-CAPS YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm cool with some of the old shmup peeps. They're really excellent game designers, and some of them (who I've met personally) are really rad people. Let's just say that after shmup sort of split up and died some of the more mellow ones recognized that some of the other ones indeed had some uh...issues. The group as a whole is pretty much entirely dead though.

TWAS A DARK TIME
author=turkeyDawg
Wasn't Addit part of #shmup at one point?

I was for a couple of months. I remember that Magi was the one that originally brought me in to hide out from the past politics on the site and chat with them about various stuff on the IRC. It was pretty fun for a while, but then it was starting to get me a little side tracked working on anything game related just because I was in there, the chatroom, for long periods of time. I eventually left after a while and went back into the deepest, darkest depths of the RMN jailhouse pretty much after the whole #shump crew went rogue and Magi posted Sonic And The Chaos Dragons on the front page’s featured game that day. They were mostly pretty good people back then who just one day decided to act all stupid and ultimately paid the price for it.

Yeah, I kinda miss some of those guys, but not as much as before since I’ve meet a whole new cropload of wonderful people here since I came back. If course, if any of them happen to show up regularly again, I would welcome them back with open arms.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I was invited to #shump but if any of you guys have noticed I just stay outta shit like that, saw and got involved in way too much of that shit back in the GW days that when I started coming here more & more it was a good break. Chose to stay away from getting involved with the people of RM sites, too much bullshit & egos involved.

Since GW there's only been one incident I've had at RMN and this was back when WIP was still around. This guy who made just a horrible game at another site blasted me for giving him I guess some critique he didn't want. I was honest & he didn't like my opinion as it was quite bad, basically said it had no redeeming value in it & the creators pretentiousness was apparent through out.

But yeah he came here with a contest idea, he was using a different username so when I gave my opinion on his contest idea(which was also shit) he just starts spouting insults my way, it was funny but I was backed up by others who also agreed on the same criticisms & WIP messaged me saying "Don't worry man, this guys an idiot" and closed the topic.

I can honestly say since then aside from contributing to the site itself... I've not tried to make friends with anyone or get in on what's the latest gossip/news. I knew some of those guys though, geodude was hilarious.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
the legacy continues
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
the monster in the mist approaches
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Ciel
the legacy continues

Pretty rad how nobody gave a shit for two and a half months, huh?
You can tell a lot of work went into this topic. And I appreciate that, and I also appreciate the topic you used :) However, i personally found it to read like something I call forum filler. Where there's no catchy arguments used and its simply thrown in to set a mood. And thats all fine, but I have to wonder why someone would make an original post and not come up with the the catchiest lead post they could imagine.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Joltmasta
You can tell a lot of work went into this topic. And I appreciate that, and I also appreciate the topic you used :) However, i personally found it to read like something I call forum filler. Where there's no catchy arguments used and its simply thrown in to set a mood. And thats all fine, but I have to wonder why someone would make an original post and not come up with the the catchiest lead post they could imagine.

What the fuck is this
Welcome to the Welp forum, where forum filler is all and every topic. Serious topics are to be found anywhere that Welp isn't.

Also, holy shit, WIP returns! Hi. How's things?