OK, SO WHAT THE HECK IS #SHUMP?

Ok, so I've Seen Mentions of this when RMN history is brought up, And not knowing is driving me Crazy! Could someone PLEASE Tell me what it was?
Do we really need to bring this up?

I always have this fear that if you mention it too much it'll all come back from the dead and fucking ruin everything again
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I can't really remember, but I think it has something to deal with a mass amount of members leaving RMN at one point due to a disagreement in regards to staff changes.
Are people THAT Scared to Mention it? over 29 Views, and only one reply which is simply here to oppose my question. Come on guys, it's not like talking about it can REALLY Re-spark some lame movement that died out... See, I don't even know HOW long it has been gone!
Edit: Hmm, The RMystery Deepens...(Sorry, Didn't see you till now ratty).
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
rmn is gam mak

schmup mak gam mak 2

we gam mak her
author=Despite
rmn is gam mak

schmup mak gam mak 2

we gam mak her

I have no idea what you said...(Well, I do know gam mak is RMN slang for makeing games, but that is it...)
I haven't been around long enough to know the full story, but from what I gather, it was a group of elitist schmucks who basically made RMN unattractive for anybody not in their little clique.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Why do you ask, TangledLion? The people you inquire about are those who you should hold no association with at any time. They are best forgotten.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Dyhalto
I haven't been around long enough to know the full story, but from what I gather, it was a group of elitist schmucks who basically made RMN unattractive for anybody not in their little clique.

Yeah, pretty much this.

They had their own IRC channel called #shmup, which is short for shoot-em-up, a type of game that you can only make in RPG Maker if you legitimately passionately hate yourself and want to watch yourself suffer.

Some time around 2012, I think one of them got banned for some stupid shit (just being a general dick I think) and then a couple others got banned for doing more stupid shit in "defense" of that guy (death threats against the staff? spamming the forums? false accusations? IDK their posts got deleted within a couple hours and I wasn't important enough to get a straight answer at the time), and then they all left in a huff.

A couple of them actually came back later, but when they came back they weren't #shmup any more. They were just people. A wonderful transformation.
author=Dyhalto

This is pretty much the answer that you're looking for.

Also, don't mind me- I'm a crazy tinfoil hat wearing type when it comes to shmup crew, because I was involved with Team Cascade, who as I understand were part of shmup. It's an era of my life I want to forget (for more reasons than RM related things) so I get all fucked up whenever I look back at it.

EDIT:
author=LockeZ
A couple of them actually came back later, but when they came back they weren't #shmup any more. They were just people. A wonderful transformation.

I refuse to believe this

If that's true then there were more members than I previously thought, which is all the more frightening.

Ratty524
author=LockeZ
author=Dyhalto
Yeah, pretty much this.

They had their own IRC channel called #shmup, which is short for shoot-em-up, a type of game that you can only make in RPG Maker if you legitimately passionately hate yourself and want to watch yourself suffer.

Some time around 2012, I think one of them got banned for some stupid shit (just being a general dick I think) and then a couple others got banned for doing more stupid shit in "defense" of that guy (death threats against the staff? spamming the forums? false accusations? IDK their posts got deleted within a couple hours and I wasn't important enough to get a straight answer at the time), and then they all left in a huff.

I think it more specifically had to deal with Magi's removal + banning from the staff, after making a lame joke by featuring Sonic and the Chaos Dragons on the main site. His supporters were banned shortly afterwards, and there was this whole thread that stirred up controversy and shit. The drama core engine was overloading to the point of short-circuiting, yadda yadda yadda.

... But yeah, nobody really wants to give newer members a straight answer about what happened because it was one of RMN's most infamous periods, and the community back then was WAAAAAY less filtered (which isn't saying much if you compare this site to something like RMW) than it is now, almost to the point where it had some serious jerks who'd belittle others for bad games and/or commercial projects. As Corfacious stated, it's a time best forgotton.
Ok, Thanks, I was just curious, now that I know, I'm done asking Thanks!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Ratty524
... But yeah, nobody really wants to give newer members a straight answer about what happened because it was one of RMN's most infamous periods, and the community back then was WAAAAAY less filtered (which isn't saying much if you compare this site to something like RMW) than it is now, almost to the point where it had some serious jerks who'd belittle others for bad games and/or commercial projects.
Are you saying we're more filtered than RMW, or less?
author=LockeZ
...a type of game that you can only make in RPG Maker if you legitimately passionately hate yourself and want to watch yourself suffer.

*coughs* Me and Kazesui were not members of #shmup tyvm. (nor do we hate ourselves, afaik)

edit: as far as I know nobody in shmup ever actually made a shmup, at least not in RM.

I will say this: This site certainly has changed in the last 6 years I came here.
#shump, the Wipdom, Magi's madness, not to mention my own emotional deal, the rise of Kentona and yeah! A whole lot of history best left alone.

For what it is worth, I believe RMN has finally reached the level of Gamingw back in the pioneer days of RM. It is only due to the ordeals that this site has faced, and surpassed, that really has made this one of the few civil places in the community that does not have some clandestine secrecy.

*cough*Filtering actually keeps people in line*cough* *cough*
This guy still has his avatar from that exact moment in time.
LockeZ
Yeah, I kinda halfway think the name "shmup" was maybe an attempt at some combination of irony and trolling, like I can kind of imagine a conversation

Person 1: "we want to have nothing to do with RPG Maker, we're too good for it, what can we name our channel that symbolizes how distant we are from RPG Maker and anything to do with it"
Person 2: "no that's stupid, you're thinking too hard, just call it #shmup because RM2K3 shmup games are the worst thing on the site, and we're the best thing on the site, so it's irony"
Person 3: "wait guys guys that name actually works both ways"
Person 4: "wait I thought we were the worst thing on the site"
Person 1: "yeah but in a good way, we burn away the cruft"
Person 4: "well yeah of course"
Person 5: "uh I actually like shmup games" *banned*
Person 2: "you're not allowed to like things motherfucker, this is #shmup"
Ratty524
author=LockeZ
author=Ratty524
... But yeah, nobody really wants to give newer members a straight answer about what happened because it was one of RMN's most infamous periods, and the community back then was WAAAAAY less filtered (which isn't saying much if you compare this site to something like RMW) than it is now, almost to the point where it had some serious jerks who'd belittle others for bad games and/or commercial projects.
Are you saying we're more filtered than RMW, or less?

Less filtered. Sorry about the miscommunication. >_>
if you turn out the lights and say #shmup 3 tries to a mirror, an image of Ciel shows up.

But yeah, the shmup crew were cool dudes, great game designers in their own right, a little to much on the high horse, but I respected the opinions of the ones I conversed with. I honestly feel sad about how it all turned out in the end. I would have wished for a more amicable end. I miss some of them, too. (geodude where are you?)

the rise of Kentona

lol

Wasn't Addit part of #shmup at one point?

author=facesforce
I will say this: This site certainly has changed in the last 6 years I came here.
#shump, the Wipdom, Magi's madness, not to mention my own emotional deal, the rise of Kentona and yeah! A whole lot of history best left alone.

For what it is worth, I believe RMN has finally reached the level of Gamingw back in the pioneer days of RM. It is only due to the ordeals that this site has faced, and surpassed, that really has made this one of the few civil places in the community that does not have some clandestine secrecy.

Yeah, whenever I stumble across some old threads around here, I can't help but notice how much more, er... raw people were with their topics and comments.