[POLL] RMVX ACE OR RM2K3 FOR A CLASSIC SNES STYLE

Poll

RMVX Ace or RM2K3 for an authentic SNES feel? - Results

RMVX Ace
42%
RM2K3
57%

Pages: 1
I tried to make my game in RMVX Ace for the last few days, but it just doesn't feel authentic and I can't find the resources to actually make it look like an SNES game. I'm made some progress in RM2K3 and I am willing to give up the luxuries of Ace just so that I can get the game I intend it to be.

(Oh, ignore the copies. Somehow it wouldn't post so I pressed several times.)
I don't think is should be in this forum, spellcraftquill. But the mods should transfer it, so don't fret.

Anyway, I think you should go for 2k3. Ace is too smoothed out for the type of game you want to make.
author=karins_soulkeeper
I don't think is should be in this forum, spellcraftquill. But the mods should transfer it, so don't fret.

Anyway, I think you should go for 2k3. Ace is too smoothed out for the type of game you want to make.

Yeah. Besides, I'm a perfectionist and with my Ace experiences

I actually have to request a script to end the fading options of all things when you're in the menu. A front-view will be missed but the sprite rips I'm using have matching icons.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The graphics that come with Ace out of the "box" aren't great. But the graphics you can buy through add-ons such as the DS Resource Pack are great.

RPG Maker RTP is probably better than Ace's.

Though with the resources out there for Ace you don't really need to use Ace's RTP.
And with Ace's functionality you will have an easier time getting what you want.
author=kory_toombs
The graphics that come with Ace out of the "box" aren't great. But the graphics you can buy through add-ons such as the DS Resource Pack are great.

RPG Maker RTP is probably better than Ace's.

Though with the resources out there for Ace you don't really need to use Ace's RTP.
And with Ace's functionality you will have an easier time getting what you want.

I don't find what I'm looking for though. I actually want to make it feel like it is actually on the SNES as much as possible and not use modern 2D graphics. Look at my avatar for example.
Like was said, though. The DS and DS+ packs have a more SNES authentic feel, but you have to be willing to fork over the money to buy the packs. There's also the High Fantasy pack that has a sort of old school Western rpg charm; but again, these cost money to buy.

If you're looking for free alternatives well...

Ace can support rips, like 2K/3, but somebody has to be able to format them. The fact is, 2K/3 has an abundant of rips already available from the NES, SNES and PS1 era, much more so than Ace does. There's also the Mack and Blue set (completely free). VX had a few Mack tiles converted, but the Mack and Blue for 2K/3 has about 3 or 4 times the amount of Mack tiles that VX has, all of which have an SNES feel.

So yeah, an SNES like game can be done in Ace if you have the right resources or find somebody willing to take existing resources and format them to work with Ace. After all, the next Blackmoon Prophecy is being done in Ace. But 2K/3 already has everything you need right at your fingertips (minus scripting capability), so if you're looking for something quick and cheap 2K/3 is your best bet.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=amerk
Like was said, though. The DS and DS+ packs have a more SNES authentic feel, but you have to be willing to fork over the money to buy the packs. There's also the High Fantasy pack that has a sort of old school Western rpg charm; but again, these cost money to buy.

Based on personal experience I would highly recommend the DS / DS+ packs. They include a vast amount of sprites / faces / tile sets / music / and much more.

I personally don't really like the High Fantasy stuff. I think the DS stuff will fit more with what you want.

Ohhh.... Rips
http://www.spriters-resource.com/

Though if your not doing a commercial game then there are a ton of other resources provided free to the community.

Pages: 1