a city in the game that is more or less like your average, real life city,
I was hoping you guys could give me some tips for making them all work
together. The way the world is, this is the only city that is anything like
a modern city, all the rest of the cities in the game are more or less your
average RPG towns. But I also want to add hints that more and more of the
world is going to go modern.
PS- I plan to be using the futuristic tiles from the Enterbrain site, if it
helps.
I think one of the main concerns you should keep in mind is how that city remains the only city of its kind in the world. trade, travel, and other ways of exchanging ideas and concepts have a way of bringing cultures' technologies up to date with each other, unless they're taking specific measures to prevent that.

the easiest way to do this would be to make your 'modern' city fairly isolated from other civilizations -- this doesn't necessarily mean that they have nothing to do with each other, but it could mean that distance and other obstacles prevent large-scale interaction.

I can't really suggest anything too specific without getting into the details of your setting, but I definitely encourage you to play around with different ideas and see which fits your game best! it's an idea with potential, for sure, and I'm interested to see where you take it.
Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Its perfect, for several reasons.
Thanks!
ahaha. no worries! we're happy to help anytime.
You could also enact a series of laws that are designed to keep higher technologies away from the travelling merchant class. That is, only low-grade technologies allowed in trade districts, so that the top-grade stuff is kept out of the hands of the other races/cities/countries.

Think of FF8 for example - the scene near the beginning where Zell's hover-board is confiscated because it's of higher technological advancement than most of what is observed in most of the world's civilisations. The Gardens make sure to keep their technology a secret so that they don't lose the edge against not only other Gardens but also the countries they are hired by. Being known as technologically superior without knowing just how superior they are, makes the Gardens less of a military target - you can't plan to attack a place when you don't know whether their weaponry is better than your own, after all. ;p

Esthar is another example from the same game - they're secluded in a wasteland with high technology which they share little of to the outside world.

There are a lot of other examples - FF7's Midgar vs places like Wutai (in this case Wutai was decimated in the war) or the other areas where Shin Ra wasn't based (and thus, didn't get as much technological advancements, though they still had some).

That's not counting real life inspirations, like cities that were bombed back into the Dark Ages or other places where they got their hands on technologies that then fucked them up when they didn't know how to handle them properly (and thus caused nuclear meltdowns and the like).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm reminded of No Game No Life, where the technologically advanced country uses mind-wiping on anyone who visits to make them forget about the technology (but not about their whole visit).
Pages: 1