HELP ME WITH MY JAPANESE? PLEASE?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
W-wait... so in Japanese Kanji, the same character can have more than one meaning and pronunciation? And that depends on how they are used in context?

That kinda complicates things even more... I mean, how would you even know if it was supposed to be said 'this' way instead of 'that'? Just by memorising the order of things?

No wonder those guys are so good in math...
As I said, it depends mainly on whether they stand alone or are used in a composition. So it's not completely random.

Lastly, it all comes down to learning them like vocab. It's not that difficult once you grasp it, but it's a lot of work and effort. If anything, it shows the focus on hard work and learning by memorization in this culture.
author=karins_soulkeeper
W-wait... so in Japanese Kanji, the same character can have more than one meaning and pronunciation? And that depends on how they are used in context?

Well, that actually applies to Chinese characters as well except for the pronunciation, although there are several Chinese characters that can have more than one pronunciation, just not as diverse as Japanese Kanji.

When you delve into Kanji, it's all about vocabulary. And vocabulary is all about reading more and memorizing ^ ^
But as a sidenote, once you have more crosslinks (like the kyou is written with blub and blub), it'll become easier to remember and keep them once you got them in your brain.

You got the hiragana, the kanji, their composition and their standalone meaning to picture them. Every crosslink helps.

As well as fun facts... like the fact that "Uschi", spoken ushi, means cow. (a female German first name which is made fun of quite often)
Seems almost impossible to learn all that by myself.
Almost.
I'll get there, eventually :D

Thank you!
Also, to help you out a bit, there is a secondary number system that you will rarely encounter; But if you go arround Tokyo(Especially in Akabane!) you are going to see numbers using the old japanese system for some reason I don't quite know:
1  一つ ”Hitotsu”
2  二つ ”Futatsu”
3  三つ ”Mittsu”
4  四つ ”Yottsu”
5  五つ ”Itsutsu”
6  六つ ”Muttsu”
7  七つ ”Nanatsu”
8  八つ ”Yattsu”
9  九つ ”Kokonotsu”
10 十  ”To”
11 十余り一つ ”To Amari Hitotsu”

But this will rarely ever come up in everyday life, unless you read books or watch movies from the showa era.
But keep up the hard work~
Thank you faceforce!

Ps. The first characters of each number looks like the symbols in mahjjong tiles.
My laptop is a discount NEC I picked up from the supermarket, so if I type with it's normal keyboard, english comes out like that.
Now, this is just my personal method, but I read children books to help me memorize hiragana; You are more likely to remember letters if you have to use them i.e. read them.
Now I have a physical copy of this story called ”つるのおんがえし” or "Gratitude of the Crane", and it is written exclusively in hiragana. Luckily for you, there is a free online copy.
So, as the homework I'll give you karins is to read this story. By reading the Hiragana you are studying, it will give you a easier time to memorize it.
http://www.izumishobo.co.jp/onlinebook/c01_dowa/tsuru/tsuru1.html

Look up every word in a dictionary once you can see it's romaji; Don't use google translate, it will not help you in the end if you do.
That's some neat help, facesforce.

Also, the symbols are the kanji for numbers. So it's no surprise to see them used in games^^ You can write numbers as simple numbers as well, though.

一 いち
二 に
三 さん
四 よん 
五 ご
六 ろく
七 なな
八 はち
九 きゅう 
十 じゅう
Thank you guys!

@faceforce, I'm going to try that method out.
I'm reading tsu-ro-ru-no-o-n-ka-ga-u-shi* right now.

*I actually read it this way... darn ru / ro's -.-;

Edit: What is the use of を(wo)?
I converted the first page to Romaji here:
Tsurunoongaushi

"Oo, chimui!"

ojiichinha omowazu, mifurui shimashita.

monosugoi ooyukide, yamaha hasshiro.

michiha yukide uzuhari, arukonoga yattodesu.

achigata ojiichinga, machiku takigiwo urini

dekaketa tokiha, yoi otenkidattanodesu.

tokoroga, uchiku kaurutochuu, kyuuni yukiga
furidashite.

mirumiruuchini, nomo yamamo masshironi natteshi
mattanodesu.

-- div --

"mattaku, konna ooyukiha mezurashii."

oziichinha mitorigotowo iinagara, mitoashizu
tsu, yukkurito aruiteyukimashita.

sonotoki dokokaraka,

bachibachitsu! bachibachitsu!

hakeshii otoga kikoetokimashita.

"hato, torino habatakinoyoudaga."

oziichinha, atariwo mimawashimashita.

suruto tanbono nakade, shikirini yukiga maia
gatteimasu.

-- div --

isoide chikayotte miruto,

-wano truruga, kurushisouni mogaiteimasu.

tanboni shikaketa, wanani kakatteirunodeshita.

tsuruha oziichinwo miruto, abawarunowo yano
te, kanashisouni oziichinwo mitsumemashita.

sono meha,

<douzo, tasuketekudachii.>

to itteiruyoudeshita.

sono mewo miteiruuchini, ojiichinha, fushigina
kimochini utawamashita.

tasuketeyurunoga ataromaeno youna, sonna ki
mochini nattanodesu.

"wakatta, ima, tasuketeageruyo."

oziichinha isoide, wanawo hazushuteyarimashita.

-- div --

fuwari(tsu?),

tsuruha shuzukani maiagarimashita.

soshite,

kou (1?) (tsu?), kou (1?) (tsu?)!

to nakinagara, (2?)do (3?)do, oziisanno atamano
uewo mawatte.

yagate, tookuno sosahe kieteyukimashita.

sonoaida oziisanha, marude utsukushii yume
demo miruyouko, bonyarito tachitsukeshite

imashita.

-- div --

I kinda cheated a bit because I couldn't remember these:
Ha, To, Mo, Ta, Ko, Te, Ni, Ke, Na, Me, Ra, So, Ho, Me, and Ma.

Haven't checked the meanings yet though. And I had some confusion by the end of the page, mainly because of this: a small 'tsu' with no following character.

'wo' was also used repeatedly, and I don't know what it is for exactly. Only that it's only used for grammar.
author=karins_soulkeeper
Edit: What is the use of を(wo)?

Read "o", btw. It's a particle for the direct object. Whether you see or interact with, it's the way to go.

So, if you wanna say "I eat rice" - then you go

rice/ご飯-を eat/たべます。

B-を + Verb you do "verb" to B

Also, as it's a direct object, it'll stand close to the verb, so in the position before it.
Well, I've already spotted quite a number of errors in your Romaji. Here, let me edit your first section of Romaji:

Tsurunoongaushi

"Oo, chimui samui!" (This, btw, means "Brr, it's cold.")

ojiichinha ojiisanha omowazu, mifurui miburui shimashita.

(It's miburui and not mifurui because ぶ (bu) has a double quotation mark next to ふ (fu). See the difference?)

monosugoi ooyukide, yamaha hasshiromasshiro.....

michiha yukide uzuhari uzumari, arukonoga arukunoga yattodesu.

(Note that ま is ma, not ha)

achigataasagata ojiichinga ojiisanga, machikumachihe takigiwo urini

(Note that さ is sa, while ち is chi. So さん is actually san, not chin. As an added note, if you have watched animes, nobody addresses anyone as -chin. It's either Onii-san or Onii-chan etc...)(And へ is he, not ku. Ku is く)

dekaketa tokiha, yoi otenkidattanodesu. (This one is okay.)

tokoroga, uchiku uchihe kaurutochuu kaerutochuu, kyuuni yukiga furidashite.

(え is e, not u)

mirumiruuchini, nomo yamamo masshironi natteshi
mattanodesu. (No problems here.)

I have highlighted the critical errors in brackets. Go through them and perhaps edit the rest of your Romaji sections, because from how I see it, the errors in the rest of the sections are pretty much similar.
Was just about to check it, thanks.
Darn, so many mistakes...
Thank you eplipswich!
I'll just read the rest of the story, before I try again (even though I can't understand 99% of the words... I'll work on that soon.)

@Kyla, so the 'wo' indicates that the target of the word after it, is the word it is attached to... I think I get it now.

Is it pronounced when saying the word? Or is it just shown on writing, with no pronunciation?
It's pronounced "o", and it's just added to the word. You'll notice these "particles" are what structures sentences.
The subject particle, for example is "ha" (although in this case spoken "wa"), which you might have noticed watching anime.

Aは B です。 A is B/ concerning A, it is B

Is another basic structure. Even simpler.

私は 学生 です。 わたしは がくせい です。 I am a student.

Japanese grammar sure is tough, but quite interesting...
Thanks Kyla!

Unrelated: I read a manga once, that had this one character say 'Desu' at the end of each of his sentences. So he'll say something like: "Shut up, Chiyo-kun! Desu..."

Can't recall the name though...
It was most likely a stylistic device.
Be wary of that, manga or anime often have characters that have some kind of catchphrase. Like ending everything with nyaa as a cat or nin as a ninja or all kinds of things.

You may also see manga characters use a different, less formal form where you drop the desu or substitute it with "da" or whatever. It's advised to learn the medium, more formal form, as that is appropriate in most cases (and for us foreigner generally accepted).
Still, that's not important for you when you learn it. And you'll understand it just fine if you learned only the "standard" version.

And about ru ro .. I always remembered it by the opposite. The one which has an closed o in it is ru, and the one which has no o is ro.

を, among other meanings, is notable in that it demonstrates action with transitive verbs.

for example:

まど を あけました。
mado o akemashita
i opened the window
And just to add, yep, Japanese like to use a lot of copulas that you don't see (or hardly see) in English at all. Things like だ, です etc.

You can search for the meanings of other copulas at tangorin.com such as よ, ぜ/ぞ, た (which is used for past tense. Yes, Japanese does have past tense, present tense, past continuous (ていた) and present continuous (ている) tenses like English), か, ね, な...Yeah, I guess I'll stop at that for now.

EDIT: This is just for your info. Of course, feel free to take it one step at a time :)
Pages: first prev 123 next last