HOW DO I FIX THIS WEIRD BOX ISSUE WITH TEXT IN MY (VX ACE) GAME? IT'S FRUSTRATING.

Pages: 1
I spent almost a whole day trying to find a good font... I finaly do, but then this happens.

How on earth do I fix that damn box issue? This font is otherwise perfect.

EDIT: Or if someone can share a good font that doesn't have this issue, that would be ok to.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Go into Window_EquipStatus, and look for the function called "draw_item". There, comment out the line that says "draw_right_arrow(x + 126, y)". That should get rid of those boxes.

Alternatively, search for "draw_right_arrow", and replace the "→" with a "->" or maybe just a ">"?
In case you wanted to know why this happens - it's basically a font issue. The script in question is looking for a certain font piece that, in your font, doesn't exist. The only ways to fix it is as Marrend suggested or find a font where it does exist.
Or just change the font when it draws it then back again. Replace
def draw_right_arrow(x, y)
    change_color(system_color)
    draw_text(x, y, 22, line_height, "→", 1)
  end
With something like

old_font = contents.font.name
    contents.font.name = "VL Gothic"
    contents.font.name = old_font
  end
The VL Gothic font is the default Ace font and it has the direction arrows in it. This will use the VL Gothic font when it draws the arrow and revert to the old font once its done. Should be clean and easy.

e: Or instead of replacing part of a default script add
class Window_EquipStatus < Window_Base

old_font = contents.font.name
    contents.font.name = "VL Gothic"
    contents.font.name = old_font
  end
end
As a new script under Materials and above Main.
Thanks everyone, the issue was fixed. I did what Marrend said to try.
BUMP: Kinda new issue.

Ok, so after finally finding the next font file that looks nice. No cut off letters, no miss shaped letters or symbols. I did find one thing, that's SLIGHTLY annoying. The text is a tab blurry (I'll upload a screenshot when I get home from work.) Is there some kind of work around for this, like a script or something? I really don't want to spend another 24+ hours trying to find another font. I didn't want to make a new topic for this.
This sounds like a combination of two issues: The font is designed to look right at a specific size and no other (pixel fonts are the usual suspects here) and Ace is hardcoded to always antialias drawing fonts which can't be changed afaik. You'll probably have to either change the font size where it doesn't look blurry and change UI elements like menus to compensate for the new size or... find another font.
author=GreatRedSpirit
This sounds like a combination of two issues: The font is designed to look right at a specific size and no other (pixel fonts are the usual suspects here) and Ace is hardcoded to always antialias drawing fonts which can't be changed afaik. You'll probably have to either change the font size where it doesn't look blurry and change UI elements like menus to compensate for the new size or... find another font.

Damn, if I up the font just one size its to big... damn. Do you have a recommended font? I can't describe how frustrating this is.
I like the Paratype font but it doesn't have every character like arrows if that's what you want.
Pages: 1