ANIME OSTS FOR GAME BGMS AND SUCH?

Pages: 1
Is that okay?

I'm working on a personal non-profit project on my own, and I don't have the talent nor the program to compose my own soundtracks.
Would it be okay to use these soundtracks for my own game? Thing is, I think I want to share it to the community as well for input, but that's breaching copyright isn't it?
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Considering how frequent and common sprite rips are here - as well as use of copyrighted music, I doubt you'd see any complaints - although whether it's actually legal or not, I don't know. I know you definitely can't sell the project if you use them, though.
author=slashphoenix
Considering how frequent and common sprite rips are here - as well as use of copyrighted music, I doubt you'd see any complaints - although whether it's actually legal or not, I don't know. I know you definitely can't sell the project if you use them, though.

Ohh, I see- whew ;;v; I guess I'll go along with what the crowd's doing haha
Naw, I don't have any intentions on selling it since it's my first and it's very amateurish u vu;
Thanks for answering though!
You should use music that hardly anybody knows or else it might turn off people.
author=RyaReisender
You should use music that hardly anybody knows or else it might turn off people.

Yeah, that's another thing I was worried about
I know that feeling, and it really does ruin the atmosphere instead of enhancing it
( . v.;;)
Thanks for the advice!
The thing is, if they're popular soundtracks, it could kind of ruin the mood.
I think a good example is Pokemon The Evil Inside 2. There's a scene where the main character faces off against the villain, Mewtwo, and it uses Naruto music of all things, and it's just... quite off-putting.
There is a lot of anime OSTs that you will hardly notice in the anime because it just plays in the background in one single scene.

For example the ROBOTICS;NOTES OST is very suitable for RPGs and you will hardly recognize most songs, even if you watched the anime (especially not the instrumental ones).
Hmm... It's a real difficult one to say.
I would say go for it, just make sure it meshes well. I've used music from stiens;gate, digital devil montangi and .hack sign in my work before, so I am not opposed to it.
And yeah, RyaReisender is correct on that point; A good example of this is Technovision, the one time used insert song in the Stiens;Gate visual novel. It literally is only played for one scene, and because of it, most people never heard of it at all. Myself on the other hand, only remember it because of how strange it was for a vocal song out of nowhere.

So, end point: Do it, but have some common sense in use.
I agree with most others here, there's usually not an issue so long as it isn't Final Fantasy music or something will recognize right away, as that can easily ruin the mood. Granted, using anime OSTs is a pretty clever idea, wish I had thought of that. :P
I think the best thing to keep in mind is the impact the use of music has. If you feel music REALLY fits a scene and isn't used too much, then go for it. There are worse things to be said about a project.
Pages: 1