RANDOM ART COMPILATION

Pages: 1
I've been meaning to attempt pixel art, and thought I could share some of my stuff as well.
But seeing as I probably won't consistenly upload more, and don't have much of interest to show off anyway, I thought we could start a thread where we try to help eath other improve a bit, and where everyone whith less to show can share single (or more) images.

Just finished that one. A great outlet for a bad day, although I didn't finish it then. Please tell me what you think!

I've been trying around with Paint every now and then, but seeing how working with a mouse and being left-handed sucks, I didn't get into it.

Like this one a few years ago as well as my avatar.

I did hear that MyPaint was a decent free software, though. But I'll probably wait for a tablet and then think about it.

Got myself PyxelEdits free version, but honestly, pixel art is so different, I have no idea how or where to start. I tend to start without a clear idea, which seems to be a very bad idea.

Critique always appreciated. How do you guys go about making pixel art anyhow?
Is it just about investing more time or are there any basic concepts to apply?

So, been trying to pixel a very small and old sketch of mine, and I need help regarding the hair.
I want to have it a little bit edgy and roughed up, but I have a hard time getting it right. It's originally supposed to be long hair, but shorter seems to be easier. It's too much hair as it is, but it looks crappy when it goes over the mask. Or is it?
Any tips?

.. although I'm starting to think that I could just go with the short hair version if I clean it up properly ..

It seems to be really just about time spent .. probably the exact opposite of my take on traditional art in many ways. It's quite satisfying despite that.
author=Kylaila
Critique always appreciated. How do you guys go about making pixel art anyhow?
Is it just about investing more time or are there any basic concepts to apply?

I do it the same way I complete a pencil drawing:

1. Get an idea of what I want to create.
2. Put down some basic shapes on the page/screen. In pixel art I usually use all the same colour, for example the flesh/fur tone on a character sprite.
3. If it's a character/being, I clean up all the anatomy. It's pointless to add clothing or anything if you don't know where the body is.
4. Draw more exact details onto the picture, lightly. (In the case of pixel art, "lightly" would probably mean just sketching it on there somewhat haphazardly. Sort of hard to explain.)
5. Finish up the details, clean up the lines, etc.

tl;dr don't start with the finished product.
Well, makes sense. Anything else doesn't work too well.
Thanks for the insight, it's kinda like this basic tutorial.

Although apparantly some do shoot for the finished product when doing very very small sprites.. I hope tile-sized.

Just went with option B and although I'm not too happy with it, it's still passable.
Not quite sure how I want to go about the light-effect on the armor on the right side, as it is away from the sun, but I'll dig up some images for reference.

It looks light this right now.

The light effect is too strong .. but oh well. Shoot for mediocricy if that's what it needs to get it done. I chose the skin color on a whim as well, I'll probably edit it to a light one at the end.
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
I think option two definitely was the best choice! I would add more shading to the colored version though, especially on the front of the mask.

My critique of your colored pencil piece would be to treat your background with the same amount of care as your foreground. backgrounds suck to do i know The girl in the picture is so nicely shaded and detailed that its a shame that the hearts, rainbow and butterfly detract from her. Although this could just be because you didn't finish it completely.
Thank you!
And don't you worry, shading is what I've been working on.

Backgrounds aren't my forte. Mainly because I never fucking draw them. 95% of all my stuff are scribbles and sketches .. so something to work on.
What would fit this scenery? Some hills and clouds?

I see. Yeah, I wanted her to be almost colorless in contrast to the fluffy stuff she's emitting. It does set the focus wrong.
As personal note, I had quite a fun time coloring these little rainbows with the irony of frustration.

I think I'll leave these pixel at that or I'll never be finished! WOOHOO! DONE!

Please critique! I'm pretty fond of this, so all the more reason to.

.. oh yeah, normal skin version.
Edit: Now that wasn't much work.

author=Kylaila
Although apparantly some do shoot for the finished product when doing very very small sprites.. I hope tile-sized.

Oh yeah, making tiles is a different story. Because you're making the pieces that'll fit together into the bigger picture, instead of just making the bigger picture from scratch.

author=Kylaila
Please critique! I'm pretty fond of this, so all the more reason to.

I think my main critique about your pixel art so far is that your lines aren't very "confident". They're either super angular or very sketchy looking. You should practice making more definite/organic shapes. It's sort of hard to illustrate what I mean, but I'll get an example up here:

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/29496/locker/pixel_tf2.png

I'm not sure who made that, unfortunately, but I know it came from the TIGSource image crawler. You should check that out by the way, might give you some inspiration, and it's always full of good examples to study:

http://daid.eu/~daid/tigsource_pics/?action=show&topic=167
Yes, I can definitely see that. I find it a little hard to get them to look like something without them becoming jagged. And also am a little handicapped when it comes to sketching on the PC (graphic tablet, where art thou..?), so I suppose that makes it even harder for me, huh.
That's no excuse, though, I'll try to have a better flow in the next pieces. I did change quite a lot of the lines over the course.. I did make some edgier to be symmetrical (in case of the armor) although the right side definitely would've been better. Lazy me.
I'll have to experiment a bit.

If only it didn't take so horribly long.. ugh. Well, I already signed up for the contest, so it's now or never.

And the image is simply gorgeous! TF 2's characters are a good example of character-design, too.
Thank you, there's certainly much to draw from these.

By the way, any comments on the coloring? I focused more on that since I rarely ever do it. Not on PC anyway.
Ebeth
author=Kylaila
Yes, I can definitely see that. I find it a little hard to get them to look like something without them becoming jagged. And also am a little handicapped when it comes to sketching on the PC (graphic tablet, where art thou..?), so I suppose that makes it even harder for me, huh.

This tutorial helped me a lot when I started out pixeling.

And yes doing pixel stuff without a tablet can be difficult but it just takes patience. Trust me you can do it! All of the art from my game was made with out a tablet on my laptop so I know its possible.

Also I think the shading and skin tone change really helped your pixel!
Ebeth
author=Kylaila

This tutorial helped me a lot when I started out pixeling.

And yes doing pixel stuff without a tablet can be difficult but it just takes patience. Trust me you can do it! All of the art from my game was made with out a tablet on my laptop so I know its possible.

Also I think the shading and skin tone change really helped your pixel!
It's just that doing stuff with my right hand makes for unexpected results. I generally have much much less feeling for it compared to my left hand, at least. But I can't properly work with a mouse with my left hand, either.

Haha, thanks. I didn't intend the one before that to be anything near final.
Also, I already came across this tutorial. In fact, I already linked it! :)
Pages: 1