PURE RUBY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RPGXP AND RPGVXACE

Pages: 1
The way I've been experimenting lately, I open RPG Maker XP, start a new project, then take every script in the Script editor and throw them all out. Then I just start coding in Ruby.

For these new RGSS scripts which don't draw on anything from the default script library, what would be needed to allow RGSS3 to parse them?

What are the differences between the engine of RGSS and RGSS3? (Has the Sprite class changed? Do I need to add extra commas somewhere? Were some methods removed? New ones added? etc.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You might be one of like a few dozen people in the world who uses the engine in such a way, so I can't give you a full answer, and I'm not sure you'll be able to find anyone who can. I can tell you what I know though.

It sounds like you're still using the "hidden" scripts such as the Sprite and Input classes. If you look in the help file, the definitions of some of these hidden classes are listed. For example, the RPG::Sprite and RPG::Cache definitions are listed. The RGSS stuff is split into two categories in the help file: Standard Library and Game Library. There are rather a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure almost all of the Game Library ones were changed at least slightly. The Standard Library stuff should all be the same since it's basic Ruby stuff, not RGSS stuff.

I almost always find the modules that have definitions listed in the help files, and copy and paste those definitions into the script editor, so I can see and change them if needed.

Unfortunately a big chunk of the core RGSS code isn't actually given to you in the help file. Or anywhere. Enterbrain doesn't want anyone to know what it is. This includes stuff like the Input, Audio and Graphics modules, as well as stuff like Tilemap, Bitmap and Viewport classes. The help file tells you what methods you can call in those classes/modules, and a one-sentence description of what each method does, but you can't see code for them. Don't assume they will work exactly the same way as they did in RMXP, even if they do the same thing and take the same arguments. They'll probably work basically the same in most cases.
Thank you for the answer.

If it weren't for my constant use of that built-in Sprite class, I might've even attempted to make a program in Ruby alone, foregoing RGSS. I was wondering what it would be like to port old projects to newer RGSS systems in order to maintain playability on new operating systems.

(One of the... most unexpected problems with making these games is that they take so long to make, that by the time they're complete, most computers can't play them any longer.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
As far as I know nothing about the newer RGSS is any different on newer operating systems, and I know for a fact that RMXP games run just as well on Windows 8 as they do on Windows XP. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
It's a bit pointless to use any Rpg Maker without the default scripts.
For example, you can't use the eventing system, because you delete all the interpreter classes. It defeats the purpose of this engine.

There are far better ways to write games from scratch. (for example, you fire up LibGDX with Ruby, and use Tiled to create maps...)
And there are many more, if you drop ruby. (like verge, ika, sphere, and many more listed here).
It's that built-in Sprite class I want, the Script Editor... just the whole package. The next step up from using events and other built-in schemes, like tiles.

Might be interesting to design a game from complete scratch, with a compiler, but not now.
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
RubyGame is a good place to start. http://rubygame.org/ It gives you basic sound/video/event functions. Unfortunately since Ruby is a very slow language it's not appropriate for "action" games with fps higher than about 30.
Pages: 1