[POLL] WHAT IF FINAL FANTASY V...

Poll

If Final Fantasy V was released in places other than Japan during the SNES craze, how do you feel its exposure could have affected the gaming scene? - Results

I haven't played the fan translation SNES romhack, but I think it's safe to say that Final Fantasy IV was the best.
8%
I have played the fan translation SNES romhack and I think that Final Fantasy IV was the best.
0%
I have played the fan translation SNES romhack and I feel Final Fantasy V is the better title.
8%
I have played the fan translation SNES romhack and I think that Final Fantasy VI was the best.
43%
I haven't played the fan translation SNES romhack, but I think it's safe to say that Final Fantasy VI was the best.
17%
Mystic Quest all the way, brah! nobody likes that game.
21%

Pages: first 123 next last
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I believe it's unfortunate that Final Fantasy V originally saw such a limited release given its merits and charm, and I find it even more unfortunate that most people's first exposure to the game was either with the load-heavy PS1 port or the (arguably best) GBA port long after its heyday.

Sure, we got great games like Final Fantasy IV and VI (II & III elsewhere), but I can't help but feel like the view is skewed because of it and perhaps nostalgia blinds us from an equally good, if not better, title.

What do you think?
I liked Mystic Quest. It was my first Final Fantasy and I still enjoy playing it even now. It had a lot of neat ideas, even if it was quite simplistic in comparison to 4, 5 and 6.

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

What if Final Fantasy III was released in English. I mean the one in Japan that isn't FF 6.
I remember when that fan translation first came out, I was so hyped. FF5 is a lot of fun. I like the job system and the game's particular graphical style, which is quite similar to Romancing Saga. It's great fun, but I don't feel it's as good as FF6.
I'd like to know why FF2, FF3 and FF5 did not receive a western port back in the days.
Odd fact: in those three games you have access to several jobs and can switch between them (kinda in FF2 since you can pick weapons and magic to build) while in FF1, FF4 and FF6 the characters all stick to what they do from the get go.

DQ5 and DQ6 did not get a NA release either yet these two are decent entries in the series.
author=Avee
DQ5 and DQ6 did not get a NA release either yet these two are decent entries in the series.

Dislike Dragon Quest 6. 5 is awesome.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I played the SNES versions of both FF5 and FF6 via an emulator, and only on an emulator. I've nothing against 6, but, I like 5 more for it's charm and how the "jobless" class inherits passive mastered abilities from other classes. I kinda want to see that again, but, doubt it will happen. Customizing your battle-actions was pretty neat too (even if my end-game was inevitably Gil Toss plus White/Time/Mimic).
Guess I'm the only one showing FF IV some love, so far. I did play FFV but not until it was on the playstation. I think FF VI is technically superior but I still enjoy FFIV more.

FFV's job system was really fun but the story wasn't as dramatic and engaging as FF IV and VI. Although, I did enjoy it's more laid back atmosphere.

Back in the day odd number FF games (I, III, V) would be more gameplay focused and include the Job system while even number games
(II, IV, VI) would focus more on story. FFVII was the first game to break up that pattern. That was just a neat little tidbit I thought was worth sharing.

Anyway, just to give FFIV some more love I want to mention that FF IV is the most epic FF in scale since its the only one where you go in space and to the moon. Sure FF VIII went to space but that was like near earth orbit I think. FFIV has the F^(<!#& MOON!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I dunno, maybe I just didn't find FF6 to be all that engaging gameplay-wise, while FF5 hit all the gameplay/atmospheric pleasure centers for me. I wish this thread resulted in more discussion on blinding nostalgia and the "what if.." scenario of an alternate reality where FF5 got an overseas release. What if it had made a splash? Would people still be going "nope, FF6/7's the best. nope nope nope"? And what of other big-name SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger? Would these games even still matter? What if it had been the other way around and we got Final Fantasy's 1-3, 5, 8 and on? Would people go back 10 years and try and justify the shortcomings of 4, 6 or 7?
author=Corfaisus
I dunno, maybe I just didn't find FF6 to be all that engaging gameplay-wise, while FF5 hit all the gameplay/atmospheric pleasure centers for me. I wish this thread resulted in more discussion on blinding nostalgia and the "what if.." scenario of an alternate reality where FF5 got an overseas release. What if it had made a splash? Would people still be going "nope, FF6/7's the best. nope nope nope"? And what of other big-name SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger? Would these games even still matter? What if it had been the other way around and we got Final Fantasy's 1-3, 5, 8 and on? Would people go back 10 years and try and justify the shortcomings of 4, 6 or 7?

Well a good way to judge FF V without the nostalgia bias would be to learn how the Japanese audience feels about it since they would not have the same kind of weird nostalgia gap that we in America have.
I'm guessing Japanese audiences also love FF6 and 7, though I could be wrong.
Anyway I'm sure FF V would have been more popular had we seen it on the SNES but I still don't think it would have out weighed the popularity of 4 6 and 7 but of course I have some nostalgia blindness, so yeah. I will say that I like FF 5 more than FF 7.
I think I enjoyed Final Fantasy V more so because it was like this hidden gem that we didn't get when it was supposed to come out. It's hard to say, on one hand it feels more like a proper continuation from FF IV stylistically. I remember when I was a kid I heard that my friend Eric had FF "3" (6) and I freaked out I was so amped but when I saw it, it looked strange, it look way different from FF IV. Had FF "3" been 5 I would have accepted it more readily as the sequel due to the more similar graphic style. Maybe I'd love it more. On the other hand, it might have impressed me less since the story feels like a bit of a down grade. FF V sometimes feels like the generic Final Fantasy which actually felt awesome to me when I played it on the playstation. It was a game that looked much like my beloved FF IV but with a new story and a bad ass job class I think its a great game. It's generic-ness made it feel classic. So, FFV's generic qualities are both good and bad.
So its hard to determine how the release date for it in the US would have affected my enjoyment of it.
Corfaisus
A big thing that people tend to say about FF6 that they loved was how serious the story was and how awesome Kefka is, but I can argue that FF5 can go blow-for-blow with its successor.

1A. Locke's a tortured soul because he lost Rachael in that tragic mine/cave collapse. He later has a moment when he uses the Phoenix to bring her back long enough for her to go "it's okay" before dying again. I guess the opera house goes here, too.
1B. Butz lost his mother and father roughly around the same time. His father left to defend the world as one of the Four Warriors of Dawn, while his mother passed away after having an episode with her illness. She actually passes away shortly before he leaves while he's bidding farewell to his son. This whole scene takes place as a flashback brought on by an innocent-sounding melody played by a music-box. You can visit your mother's grave to the east of town.

Also, Faris deals with the loss of her "brother", Syldra.

2A. Emotional dropbox:
• The world goes to shit and Celes feels there's no escape but suicide. The feels are too much.
• Phantom Train; Cyan watches as the spirits of his wife and son board the train.
• Poisoning of Doma Castle.
2B. You lose Syldra twice: once in the canal where he's taken under the waves with Karlabos, setting you hopelessly adrift at nature's mercy until you come ashore in the Ship Graveyard (bonus points for following up death and sorrow with more death and sorrow). After it sinks in that he's gone, you continue on your adventure until the Water Tower sinks into the seas after the destruction of the Water Crystal, taking you down with it. When all seems hopeless, Syldra comes to your aid and, using the last of its strength, takes you to shore before drifting away to die. Faris feels the pain and the player is "treated" to Syldra's last haunting cry after the screen fades to black.

3A. Kefka gains all the power and destroys the world. Memorable quote: “Read my lips - mercy is for wimps! There's a reason "oppose" rhymes with "dispose"...If they get in your way, kill them!”
3B. Exdeath starts by demolishing small places like the Forest of Moore (the very place that bore him), but starts erasing sections of the world from existence when you arrive at the "fused" world. Memorable quote: “Time for your viscera to see the light of day! Now DIE!”

4A. Kefka's wicked and crazy and cares about nothing else than to destroy everything and construct a "monument to non-existence" (his words, not mine) upon which he will reign as a god.
4B. Exdeath is cold and collected; matter of fact, he's a tree. He doesn't feel shit and exists strictly to erase everything from existence. He doesn't want to take over the world or anything, he acknowledges that with the removal of all that is that he will fade away as well, and he's more than okay with that as he knows that this is the absolution of the universe.

5A. Celes is the general of an army before she quits and gets the shit beat out of her by male guards in prison (omg so good).
5B. Galuf is the king of his nation (which he realizes after a long bout with amnesia) and eventually strikes back against Exdeath in an epic battle where he continues to fight beyond the point of death (0 HP) for the sake of putting Exdeath in his place. Afterwards, he's canon dead (could also apply to 2B).

6A. Terra cares about everyone, like orphans.
6B. Lenna cares about everyone, like dragons (she physically gets herself poisoned/killed trying to help one regain its strength).

7A. Terra is secretly an esper.
7B. Faris is secretly a woman. She's also the captain of a pirate crew and an heir to the Tycoon throne. She's got a lot going for her.

Honorary mention: that wolf that gave his life to hold back the engine that was draining the Fire Crystal to allow you time to escape. RIP

When I grow up, I want to die just like him.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I found it hard to take the name X-Death seriously.
What FF5 has going against it is the utter garbage way the story is delivered and the hammy lines delivered throughout. Plus I felt the story was kind of dumb and bland. I can't even really remember the villains in that game (and I just played it a few months ago).

I recently replayed FFIV, V and VI through. I had never finished FFIV before (I didn't own it, only ever rented it, thus only got so far in the game (about Parom/Palom iirc?)). Thus the full game was a rather new experience for me. FF5 I had played years ago on an emulator before getting stuck/lost on the submarine (I had no idea where I was supposed to go, eventually left the game, came back, and was even more completely lost). I've never played any of the official FF5 ports - just the fan translation. FF6 I've only ever played the SNES translation, but I played it a LOT (wrapped it 4 times back when I was a teen).

FFIV was BALLS HARD (I was playing the DS version). But I was struck by the characters, character development, the coolness of the story and how epic it was, and the way each playable character had unique skills and playstyles. 5 character battles were also cool. Great charm in the storytelling. I disliked the inability to chose your party in the later-game - the story dictated too much who I was supposed to be using. I enjoyed the game.

I had a hell of time getting past how corny, flat, and uninteresting all of the characters were in FF5. And the story was just...barely there and ridiculous trope heavy. And every single character came across with the exact same personality - perky gung-ho all the time except when a sad part happens then we are all depressed (for 10 seconds). And I don't just mean the playable characters. Every character felt same-y. The job system was it's saving grace - very interesting, with great potential. It was too bad they hamstrung its implementation. Instead of being able to build very interesting hybrid classes and skills, you had "THIS IS YOUR MAIN CLASS + 1 other skill, PLZ GRIND ALL THINGS SO THAT JOBLESS CLASS IS UBER THX". Making the game very distinctly STORYPROGRESSION with a (99%) vanilla class OR HALF GRIND/HALF STORYPROGRESSION WITH UBERJOBLESS (but the AP points you get are now wasted). I really felt disappointed in that. Also the final boss was NIHILISM (for some reason).

FFVI once again blew me away with all aspects of the game. Storytelling, pacing, gameplay all felt satisfying and spot-on. The graphics were much improved over its predecessor, as was the music. Each character had unique skills, relics further allowed you to tweak them, and espers were a cool way of learning magic skills as you progressed through the game. It was superbly balanced - you never really had to grind (except at the end for AP if you wanted ALL MAGIC 4 EVERYONE). Also the villains were memorable. Coming back to the game as an adult I sometimes felt that the dialogue was a little cheesy but not too bad. With everyone having ALL MAGIC things felt a little samey, and magic was overpowered overall (but I guess that fits with the narrative?). The game was easier than the previous two.

So looking back, I think that FFVI > FFIV > FFV is the natural order of things, though I wished FF5 came out back then. The game is lacking compared to IV and VI, but still is a good game.
Corfaisus
I still think people take one look at Kefka and decide "Yep, best game of the series lololololol". I've never had any reason to believe otherwise. Or maybe its the gritty graphics, like an old school Gears of War (and we all love those game amirite?). I want to hear, for once in my life, in detail what makes FFVI so gripping and perfect.

Gau: "Thou thou thou thou thou thou thou!"
Kefka: "Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate!"
Edgar: "Ladies <3 *wink*"
Setzer: "I'm just in it for the money..."
Locke: "Yeah, what he said."
Interceptor: "..."
Shadow: "..."
Terra: "..."
Gogo: "..."
Umaro:
Mog +15: "Kupo."
*Rest of the cast are feel tank characters/slot fillers*
Tau
RMN sex symbol
This topic kinda seems to boil down to OP being butt hurt that the game he likes more isnt as popular as its better counterparts. But were all entitled to our own opinion in the end.
Corfaisus
author=Tau
This topic kinda seems to boil down to OP being butt hurt that the game he likes more isnt as popular as its better counterparts. But were all entitled to our own opinion in the end.

"Butthurt"? You're better than this.

author=Corfaisus
I want to hear, for once in my life, in detail what makes FFVI so gripping and perfect.

Join the conversation. It's like how people mindlessly flock to FF7 after all this time. Have you tried to play FF7 recently? It blows. It's all I could do to fight my way out of Gold Saucer and save before I quit. "You want visually loud bullshit everywhere? Here you go!"
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I am but writing a long post from my phone just isn't something I'm inclined to do. Besides stating a whole bunch reasons why I personally think both IV-VI are the better games seems irrelevant given your stance on things. Absolutely nothing I say will make you see otherwise & thats fine because why would I want to take that away from you.

V does have the best execution of the job system in the franchise in the end, followed closely by Tactics.
Corfaisus
author=Tau
Besides stating a whole bunch reasons why I personally think both IV-VI are the better games seems irrelevant given your stance on things. Absolutely nothing I say will make you see otherwise & thats fine because why would I want to take that away from you.

Even if I don't agree, that doesn't mean that you can't defend your point or that I couldn't understand your views on the subject. That's the whole purpose behind a debate.
W-wait a sec, so ff6 = ff2?
But, I played both ff6 and ff2! I'm confused now...

ff6 was the one with Locke (where the final boss is Kefka), and ff2 was the one with Fyrion (where your enemy is an emperor of sorts, and the final boss is in a floating castle)?? Or is something wrong here??

Anyway:
I couldn't say that any version was better than the rest, not just because I don't even know what versions I played, but because they're all ff's in the end.

Except tactics. I hate tactics. FE was better.
Though I chose Mystic Quest for laughs, FFV is my favorite in the series actually; the character development was way better in the 6th one but the core feeling of adventure was so cool, Bartz was like the Wind & he had a passion to just see what was there in the world. I FUCKIN LOVE LENNA; i whistle Lenna's Theme ever so often, she's gorgeous & sweet but tough, she's like a fusion of Tifa & Aeris. I love when Bartz & Galuf discover Faris is actually a babe lol. The dialog in the game is great, the Job System was the best & ExDeath is the being from the rift that has this surreal objection.

Mystic Quest is a pretty good game tho, it had the build of Zelda with Final Fantasy mixed in. Music was freakin amazing, themes get stuck in your head. Mystic Quest had a basic yet cool narrative.
Pages: first 123 next last