NEWB NEEDING HELP (VX ACE)

Pages: 1
Hey I am trying my hand at my first game, but I am a bit clueless about a lot of the inner workings. My biggest problem is a switches and some events. The event issue i am having is I want to make an intro with an option to skip it. Also similarly, I would like to have a sort of character selection option if thats possible.
The first one is easy.
First, you create an event somewhere that turns the 'skip' switch on.
Then on your intro-handling event, either create a new event page with conditions set to 'Switch "skip" is ON' or place ALL of the intro text inside a conditional branch detecting if 'Switch "skip" is ON'. Either way will work fine.

The second one, though, is a bit more complicated.
I'm not going to be able to explain in clearly in text, so I'll just show you some screenshots in a while...

I'll put up screens in an hour or two, 'cause I still have class :3
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

To set up an intro:

In the database you have a list of actors. Make the first actor blank. Then place your starting position in the intro area (A black map.) Then make an autorun event that asks "Do you want to see the introduction?"

Yes
-Show introduction

No
-Fadeout screen
-Remove blank actor / Add main actor
-Transfer player to new starting position

Character Selection:

"Choose your main character"

Show Choices:

HeMan
-Show Picture / Text
-Are you sure you want to choose
-Add HeMan to your party

Blah blah man
-Show Picture / Text
-Are you sure you want to choose
-Add Blah blah man to your party

etc...

I have a tutorial that covers autorun events and some other basics too:

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/1034/

I will have to check out your Tutorials tonight, and thank you for the tips. What about naming the character, you know after you choose the character you can name it. Is it another switch?

I was also thinking about adding a video to the intro, like a console rpg, you know show casing some of the games features and in game battle with a little hint of the story. Or should I save that for like a trailer for some advertising? ... I am probably biting off more then my capabilities aren't I?

(edit) You know I learn better by messing with other peoples stuff... but everyone likes keeping their stuff sealed... I miss the days when no one gave a crap and you could see how they did things... v.v
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I believe the game Zu has no encryption.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/6762/

Perfect! This is just what I needed, thank you =3
Pages: 1