HD XENOSAGA

Pages: first 12 next last
So there might be a chance of an HD Xenosaga. Apparently to show so support you are supposed to send a tweet at the designer of the game. I personally have never done that whole twitter thing but I am interested in the HD remake. I'm a Xenogears and Xenoblade fan and I've always wanted to play Xenosaga but never got a chance to. Maybe I'll buy the HD remake, if it ever gets made. Anyway, just figured I'd share since I'm sure there are other Xeno fans on the site.

http://kotaku.com/xenosaga-hd-collection-is-actually-a-thing-that-could-h-1633588626
This is just my opinion, but they're really bad games. With the exception of the third game, the battle system is overly complicated and random encounters take forever to beat. Worse still, the writing is shockingly poor. Xenogears and Xenoblade are miles ahead of the Saga trilogy.

but yknow, video games are subjective and i have terrible taste.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I had a Gamecube growing up, so I never got to the play the trilogy. But one of my friends has. When I asked him about the series and if he would get the HD remake, he had this to say:

Xenosaga 1 was awesome. Far from perfect, but full of heart and soul.

Xenosaga 2 was a cancer to the series and JRPGs as a whole. Taking out everything that made the original great and replacing it with garbage, he wouldn't even make his worst enemy play it.

Xenosaga 3 was the golden goose. Not only did it redeem the series, it was also (in his opinion) one of the best RPGs on the PS2.

When I told him about the possibility of an HD collection, I could actually see him frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. He said, and I quote, "If this is a thing, GET IT. Even if it's only for Xenosaga 3. GET IT. If you don't get it, I will lose all respect for you as a JRPG fan!"

... I'm probably going to get it.
unity
You're magical to me.
I played Xenosaga 1 and loved it, though I found the long cutscenes a bit tedious. I then played Xenosaga 2 and... well, honestly, couldn't get into the new battle system and never finished it. I may play 3 just because of the amount of glowing praise it gets.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Darigaaz, I recall going through the motions to complete the Global Samaritan Campaign on my first-play of Xenosaga 2. It was terrible. With subsequent plays, I've ignored it as much as possible, and it became a much more passable game for me.

So, uh, yeah, I'm ultimately going to be one of the people that would recommend this for Episode 1 and 3.

*Edit: Er, I mean, if this was actually a thing.
Personally, I'd much rather see an HD remake of Xenogears. I'm replaying that one right now, and it's as fun as it was when I played it 14 years ago.
I think Xenosaga was alright. The first one had some really questionable design decisions (for example, let's hire a really critically acclaimed composer who makes beautiful music! Now let's make 70% of the playable game HAVE NO MUSIC), I never played the 2nd one, but the Xenosaga Ep. III was pretty good! It was definitely a solid RPG.

I'd like to see a remaster. For one, they were pretty important games and the 3rd one was definitely enjoyable. Second, the JRPG is still a pretty viable potential juggernaut and we could use a revival of a classic. I feel sometimes video games are barreling too far ahead while forgetting that the things they used to do are uh...still fun.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I doubt we'll ever see HD Xenogears, despite it being so awesome, just because of the Xeno thang changing companies and series that it may be confusing.
With all the popularity KOS-MOS gained from Super Robot Wars: OG Saga Endless Frontier and Project X Zone, who wouldn't want a HD KOS-MOS?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Dudesoft
I doubt we'll ever see HD Xenogears, despite it being so awesome, just because of the Xeno thang changing companies and series that it may be confusing.

You know, that's what they need to be doing. Final Fantasy VII HD/Remaster, Xenogears HD/Remaster, Metal Gear Solid HD/Remaster, Elemental Gearbolt HD/Remaster...games that are actually getting old and dated, as opposed to the PS2 games, WHICH ARE RECENT ENOUGH THAT THEY STILL HOLD THEIR FUCKING OWN.
I've never played any of the Xenosaga games, but man do I love the soundtracks. Especially Xenosaga: Episode II.

And SquareEnix has said they're not going to remaster FF7 until they make a game that's better than FF7. I've never played it, so I can't judge, but FF12 is a masterpiece in my book (and given the opinions I've seen about FF12, ONLY my book).
pianotm
Further proof of SquareEnix's idiocy. FFXII was good, but it only matched FFVII in scope. Some would say exceeded. I would disagree. It was just as easy to have a 100 hour save file in FFVII as it was in FFXII. FFXII did not match FFVII in gameplay, storytelling, or quality. FFVII was a masterpiece. This is like saying I won't restore the Mona Lisa until I paint a better picture. Are these people 5-years-old? Their games, while good, have only gone down in quality and have gotten progressively worse. As LockeZ says, they haven't made a Final Fantasy game since FFX. I'd say FFIX. And if SE ever came close to matching VII, it was X.

Oh, and don't worry AlphaOmega. You can pick up a copy of FFVII on Ebay or Amazon for about 250.00 dollars. Might want to consider the PC download for ten bucks.
author=pianotm
Oh, and don't worry AlphaOmega. You can pick up a copy of FFVII on Ebay or Amazon for about 250.00 dollars. Might want to consider the PC download for ten bucks.

It can't be for that m... *double checks*

...well, holy shit...

author=pianotm
As LockeZ says, they haven't made a GOOD Final Fantasy game since FFX.

^ Fixed for you.

I would imagine once FF15 gets completed in the next little bit that they’ll probably immediately work on a FF7 remake right after that. If they don’t, then they’re idiots. I mean, you’re just going to make less and less money by waiting around all this time that by the time that it does finally happen the next generation of gamers won’t give two shits about it and all those people who have played the original will have already moved on or much preferred playing the original game. Hell, probably 70% of everybody who has already played and beaten FF7 already will probably just b**ch about it and just go back to playing the original one.

It really is such a shame to have people wait that long… They should have just greenlighted a FF7 remake back when they were making that Advent Children movie and making all those FF7 spinoff games – then it would have been perfect; probably would have been on the Playstation 3 by now.

But, nope, *retarded rhetorical voice* can’t do or make it for some stupid reason - derpy-derp!

I actually have very little desire to play FF7, mostly due to the fact I hate random enemy encounters. To date, I think I've managed to tolerate a mere four games with the dreaded feature (FF9, FF10, Rogue Galaxy, and Bravely Default--and I only played that because you could turn the random encounters off).
pianotm
author=AlphaOmega247
I actually have very little desire to play FF7, mostly due to the fact I hate random enemy encounters. To date, I think I've managed to tolerate a mere four games with the dreaded feature (FF9, FF10, Rogue Galaxy, and Bravely Default--and I only played that because you could turn the random encounters off).

Ahem...FFX didn't have random encounters...it had touch encounters. Js, you know?
FFX definitely had random encounters.

But yeah, I like the FF series, but generally not interested in discussing which one was better/best. Most fans are terribly incapable of quantifying what 'better' or 'worse' is and just use stuff like 'FFX was inferior to FFVIII in every way!!!!' The lack of elaboration or objectivity in just why one game is better than the other is irritating.
pianotm
They all have their good points and bad points. Random Encounters was definitely a short-coming in FFVII. They weren't new. They weren't unique. They were every handful of steps. Beyond that, I love everything else about the game. There was no effort to try to make it better than something else. The creators were simply making it the best the game possible. They were building off the brilliance that flowed through FFVI (the absolute worst random encounter system in an RPG...EVER. Still, the game was one of Square's finest hours). This kind of stuff comes through in the finished product.

A good example is FFVIII. When FFVIII came out, we were coming off the high that FFVII had us on. The creativity that went into FFVII was clearly still flowing when they made FFVIII, but what was equally clear is that now there was some pressure to equal or outdo FFVII. Again, this kind of stuff comes through in the finished product. FFIX skirts the line of emulating FFVII and FFVIII (take a good look at the main characters.).

FFX was an "Uh-oh" moment. This was when the series said, "Uh-oh! I'm starting to repeat myself. I'd better distance myself from FFVII." That was exactly what it did, and it did it brilliantly. It will never be as good as FFX, but that doesn't matter. It tried to be original, different, and it did it well. It will always be my second favorite. Ahem...for some reason SquareEnix couldn't count and went straight past XI to XII (I'm being sarcastic. I know there was an FFXI, but really, does it count?).

What is my problem with XII, even though it's my fourth favorite? It tries to be everything. It tries to take the best elements of all FFs without stopping to wonder if that's such a good idea. It was to Final Fantasy what the prequel trilogy was to Star Wars and what Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to Indiana Jones: creators caving to the demand of the fans without having a better reason to do it. They did it without a fully formed idea. The story gets unweildy and cluttered. It's as big as Arena, and just as confused (the Elder Scrolls got better with time and practice though, SquareEnix should have taken a few lessons from Bethesda). An effort went into making Vayne a three-dimensional villain, but he fell flat. The choice to deviate from the traditional summon creature ended up with new creatures that were bizarre, largely uninspired, and often grotesque (Cuchulain, the flatulent sewer-slime monster, anyone?). What's good about XII? So much to do that you never get bored, Balthier and Fran, a skill system similar to FFX, Balthier and Fran, exquisite graphics, Balthier and Fran, the hunting side-game...and did I mention Balthier and Fran?

I haven't played enough of XIII to comment on it yet.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=kentona
what's xenosaga?

I was going to ask the same question.
pianotm
A game series of tremendous scope, with scenes of incredible action, interspersed with scenes of sheer boredom, but some brilliant science-fantasy writing nevertheless; a prequel to the infinitely better Xenogears. I liked it, but if it had been a book, it would have been far better.

It needs more game and less exposition.
Pages: first 12 next last