WHAT APPEAL OF THE 2XP

Pages: first 12 next last
What the appeal of 2003 over newer rpgmakers?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
it spiffy B-)
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
It's useful and the graphics are numerous and easy to edit.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Its free. There's no other reason.
I have the latest one should I stick with that or give 2003 a try?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I'd at least give 2k3 a try, if not but for curiosity's sake. Who knows, you might find out you like it? There's some charm to having multiple layers for your mapping and not everything being square and "chibi".
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=kory_toombs
Its free. There's no other reason.

It's just as free as any other RPG Maker, that is, it isn't. The only reason why it's free it's because it's illegal.
And because the creators of the engine aren't bothering to police it as it's both old/outdated software and something they hate (honestly, 2k3 is the engine they hate the most XD).
That said, it's worth checking out and using to push your limits, but unless you really like it, I'd recommend sticking with Ace.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Don't use 2k3.
Use 95 instead. It's better, trust me.
Corfaisus
You can probably play games made with it, but I wouldn't bother trying to use it. Hell, I'm still running XP and I can't use it very efficiently.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I think the RM95 recommendation is pure sarcasm. Avoid it like the plague.
This is your brain:

This is your brain on 2k3:

Any questions?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Zeigfried_McBacon

Any non-sarcastic comments are in the wrong topic.

Dammit, 2K3 not only replaced my brain with a clay model of a brain, but created a temporal paradox that replaced my brain with a clay model even before I ever learned about 2K3! Do not use 2K3 guys! It will retroactively replace your gray matter with sculpted pink matter in this and all other space-time continuums!

On the other hand, RMXP fixed the transdimensional lobotomy problem but also removed airships and auto-status equipment. One step forward, two steps back.
Corfaisus
author=LockeZ
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
Any non-sarcastic comments are in the wrong topic.

Dammit, 2K3 not only replaced my brain with a clay model of a brain, but created a temporal paradox that replaced my brain with a clay model even before I ever learned about 2K3! Do not use 2K3 guys! It will retroactively replace your gray matter with sculpted pink matter in this and all other space-time continuums!

On the other hand, RMXP fixed the transdimensional lobotomy problem but also removed airships and auto-status equipment. One step forward, two steps back.

Don't forget about a default worldmap.

One thing in Rm2k3 that is better than newer makers because it natively supports 320x240-GFX without having to rescale it.

If you change your graphics a lot (like I do about 100 times a day -> no sarcasm) it is a pain to scale and rescale them 100 times a day.

Come on let me hear the VX fanboys cry.
The side view battle system in 2k3 is actually so great. It's easy to figure out your character animations, you can mix them with battle animations and have them do various small extra things (like walk forward/step back/throw weapon) without having an aneurysm unlike Ace. Yeah, fuck you Ace scripts. I hate all of your side-view battle systems which I can't figure out. At least 2k3's is fucking balls-easy to mess with, position and get working.

Pity about the bugs, though.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Liberty
Yeah, fuck you Ace scripts. I hate all of your side-view battle systems which I can't figure out.

Somewhat related anecdote: I remember trying to get a CTB (Continuous Turn-Based) system for a VX project. I recall being able to display character faces in turn order, but, that's about as far as I could get. Apparently, the combat engine to support the actual CTB was a different script and I could not, for the life of me, figure out what script I wanted. I've not touched battle system scripts since then.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Actually I take back what I said.

VX Ace Light is free, so there's absolutely no reason to use rpg maker 2003.
Corfaisus
author=kory_toombs
Actually I take back what I said.

VX Ace Light is free, so there's absolutely no reason to use rpg maker 2003.

Aside from reasons addressed above. Not to mention that VX Ace Lite has insane limitations imposed on it in exchange for being free.
Pages: first 12 next last