WHAT'VE YOU BEEN UP TO?

Pages: first 12 next last
Happy
Devil's in the details
Hey guys & gals! I haven't been super active here for a year or so, so I was wondering what everyone has been up to and who can still be found here?

I'm doing pretty good myself, even though I am currently unemployed and my latest serious relationship broke half a year ago. Where it comes to relationships, I'm pretty much enjoying the freedom and having all the time for myself and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to move in together with a woman again.

As for work, I'm spending a lot of time improving myself at creating music, so I'm still striving to get employed as a composer some day in the future, but until you've got a lot of practice under your belt, you can't really make a living with it, so I'll be stuck in other sort of part-time jobs for a good while, still.

On my free time (which is all that I have now), yeah, composing video game music, taking some more theory classes, and I recently started studying japanese again, too, and I'll try to stick to it this time around, so that I can actually become fluent at it someday.

Games? I've been playing Banished and Exit Fate(!!) and my 3DS. Latest game I've finished is probably XCOM, which is an excellent game if you're fan of tactical RPGs (which it reminds a lof of, though I'm not sure of its specific genre.)

"RM Scene?" Well, as I said, I'm composing stuff, which might see daylight towards the end of the year or sometime next year - mostly distributable resources.

As for RMN, I'm glad to see a lot of improvements on the site, though where did latest posts and statuses disappear from the community tab!? Now I actually have to open the community page to access them. :(

Also, I'm looking forward to joining the next mafia game.

What about the rest of you? And Is Forever's End dead for good? Is there much new kickstarter vaporware? When was the last actual meaningful event hosted on the site? Are Chronology of the Last Era and Beloved Rapture still really alive?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Forever's End hasn't had a steady heartbeat since the whole "it's FF4" thing took off. Beloved Rapture I was certain it was gone as Blindmind didn't seem to have time for it anymore and it was more of a bunch of pretty pictures than a game if I remember correctly. Chronology of the Last Era is still an enigma. I was looking forward to it (like Saga of Eternity and the Luigi Chronicles DLC of Super Mario RPG: Seven Sages), but I've since moved on.

Me? I'm hoping to start making some dough from a game I'm making in VX Ace that I plan to go commercial with. It's a short game and it practically rides on the premise of "you don't see this everyday", but it's got its charm.
Welcome back. I wouldn't denounce living with a woman, just the wrong one :P You need to find one that has the same hobbies as you, then you'll both probably want to work on that stuff.

The latest post link is at the very bottom of every page, under Archives. Don't worry, I've been complaining about that since it was removed.

There's a M.O.G. Graphic and Music event going on right now.

I'm unemployed as well, and looking at making games for a living. Wanna colab on something?
Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Corfaisus
Beloved Rapture I was certain it was gone as Blindmind didn't seem to have time for it anymore and it was more of a bunch of pretty pictures than a game if I remember correctly. Chronology of the Last Era is still an enigma.

I was thinking of a few longest running projects that have had some updates in the recent times, and these were the first two to come to my mind! I mean, those games were posted on the site around 2007 and 2008... Do we even have any other games on the site that have been in production for as long time?

author=Link_2112
Welcome back. I wouldn't denounce living with a woman, just the wrong one :P You need to find one that has the same hobbies as you, then you'll both probably want to work on that stuff.

The latest post link is at the very bottom of every page, under Archives. Don't worry, I've been complaining about that since it was removed.

There's a M.O.G. Graphic and Music event going on right now.

I'm unemployed as well, and looking at making games for a living. Wanna colab on something?

I dunno, man. I find it hard to compose music for example, if I share the space with someone else. So if I ever wanted to move in together, it would require some special arrangements in the apartment, or something. And I really do enjoy being by myself, anyway.

And yeah, I noticed those events, actually. Any events that generate decent resources for everyone to use are definitely a good idea!

Also, I'm afraid to take any more work for myself right now as I think I have enough on my plate for now. Thanks for the offer, though.

And hey, I meant people to post in this topic about how they've generally been recently! Like y'know, telling a bit more about their personal life outside of gaming and game development, unless that is all they do!
author=Cor
Chronology of the Last Era is still an enigma. I was looking forward to it (like Saga of Eternity and the Luigi Chronicles DLC of Super Mario RPG: Seven Sages), but I've since moved on.

I'm right here dude! I updated it not too long ago and I'm still actively working on it! I recently returned from a military deployment which ate up an entire year of my life, however.
I have had a hellish year.

I am on the bench at work (since end of June).
My idiot brother got infested with bedbugs, and then kicked out of his apartment.
My lawnmower battery died, needed to replace it.
Car's alternator died, needed replacement.
Car's battery died (probably related to the alternator dying), needed replacement also a fucking rare as hell bolt snapped so I had to "rig it" with a standard $1.29 hoseclamp. I fucking MacGuyvered that shit.
Dryer sparked and died (nearly started a fire!), had to replace it.
The over-the-range microwave's magnetron died, needed to replace it.
Kid needed 6 cavities and 2 caps for a dental bill of $1712.
Washer died this past weekend, needed to replace it.
Found bedbugs in my mattress this weekend. Turfed the mattress, turfed a nightstand, turfed all pillows, putting the washer and dryer through its paces washing EVERYTHING, took apart bedframe and sprayed killer, dusted the fuck out of bedroom (thankfully it seems contained to our bedroom - kids room seems clear! might have caught it in time thank ye gods), bought a brand new mattress and boxspring (still wrapped in plastic for now) and all new pillows for everyone. (This city is in the midst of a horrible bedbug infestation stay away). I have had 3 showers today.

I am broke, tired, sweaty, and just plain defeated. Also I am pretty I am forgetting something... what a fucking horrible summer.

But I appreciate being asked!
Here's my advice for feeling better about everything, Kentona.

Make a nice dinner for two. First, buy a frozen pizza. Put it on the counter and let it sit for 8 hours. It's done, eat it! The pizza counts as the second person.
Yeah, this year has been a drain so far, two operations on my eye has really put a big dint in my game making, but it is starting to come good now and I can spend some time in front of the pc without me pirate patch as it is not so bright now.
~never saw a bedbug before. How big are they?

You probably don't know me, so hi! I'm Karin's Soulkeeper. Since I got here about two months ago, it's been nothing but great for me. Prior to that, I've beeb burning my summer away by playing Dota.

Right now, I'm just flying around in the forums and playing rm games.

--welcome back!
Oh yeah, the other things! the blower motor in my SUV died and my Nintendo DS was stolen.
Sup Happy! I'm a composer too. I live with my partner and I too have difficulty making music when she's around. I'm a very solitary creative type in that way. I don't know why that is.

I've just finished my MA dissertation, closing off a two-year course. I can't remember how to relax. I feel like I'm on the cusp of madness.

Kentona, no half measures. You are probably going to need exterminators. We had bed bugs earlier this year and it was a highly traumatic experience for me and my partner. They get into any tiny tracks in walls, they got all over my rare vinyl records, it was just...woargh.

We managed to get rid of them, and then when we moved a month later we didn't take them with us. I don't mean to give you a paranoia trip but you need to be about 10x more thorough than you'd think is enough. They're not impossible to get rid of but they are insidious little bastards.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I've having nowhere near as bad a time as, say, kentona, but it's been a fairly loaded year so far.

I graduated from University with a degree in Computer Science and am currently undergoing training as part of the graduate technology programme for a major American investment bank (fight me).

Unfortunately, while I was told I was going to be an application developer before starting the programme, it looks like I'm being placed in a role that's, quite frankly, nothing to do with programming! (More along the tech operations side of things, which isn't an AWFUL thing to do: One of my Uni friends who's also in the programme's gonna be doing desktop support for traders, yikes - but it's a bit too people-centric for my tastes) Needless to say I'm not looking forward to proper work as much I'd like to be.

On the up-side, naturally I'm earning a shedload of money in this place, so I'm probably going to stick it out until I'm able to rotate to a more technical role.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
At the moment I'm attending classes for Information Technology and am looking for a new job. I've applied at a Penn Station I want to work at that's really close to home, but its been two weeks and they haven't called me in. I'm not happy about this at all.

I keep writing down ideas for video games I want to make, but have yet to start making any of them. Business as usual. Not playing many games myself because homework and all that. I only have time for old arcade stuff like Galaga.

Trying to work out some more and get back in shape. I am in TERRIBLE shape for a 24 year old! I went walking/jogging for a couple hours yesterday and it made me feel a lot better. I need to get back in the habit and go exploring the neighborhood.

One of these days I should try and write something again.
Happy
Devil's in the details
@kentona: Wow, that's unbelievable. I do hope things start to go better for you. It sounds like you've been jinxed or something. Also, getting rid of any sort of bugs is really frustrating. I'm not familiar with bed bugs, but in my last apartment I had some sort of beetles on my grocery cupboard and they were really hard to get rid of.

@RAD: Hope you get better! Did you have to wear an eye-patch elsewhere, generally?

@Nurvuss: Yeah,I was about to say I guess creativity kind of works that way, though I'm not sure if everyone is so hesitant to let others see / hear their works while they're still in progress. I'll be sure to check your music out later!

@Isrieri: I really recommend making a habit of exercising several times a week. If you manage to keep up with it for a month or so, it starts to build up as a habit and comes more naturally. It really helps at getting new ideas and improving your mental health, too. Easier to stay positive and energetic. Finding new routes while jogging is not a bad idea either as it creates new connections in your brain!

If you want to make exercising a regular habit, I recommend checking out some programs! I started doing Neila Rey's 30 days of change program at beginning of May and I've lost 31 lbs since then. Now I'm the middle of repeating the program. There's different levels as well as different programs, and everything can be found online for free: http://neilarey.com/programs.html

author=kentona
Oh yeah, the other things! the blower motor in my SUV died and my Nintendo DS was stolen.

Gosh, that sucks.

My imported American 3DS was stolen last year .. so I know what that feels like, at least. Although having most of my games sitting on the shelf (or at least the boxes) gave me a strange feeling of relief. My babies are still here.

And huh, interesting programs. But I personally don't like those "30 days" thingies. A small, but permanent change does wonders. For food as well as for excercise.

and since all of this has gone completely off-topic, welcome back to the site and hello :)
I haven't been around then, but I'd say I'll see you around.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Well, those programs can be repeated and varied any way necessary. Nothing prevents you doing the same program multiple times or starting another one. At least they get you to stay active and guide you along the process. Also, I meant this topic to be about how everyone is doing in general - no need welcoming me!
author=Happy
@RAD: Hope you get better! Did you have to wear an eye-patch elsewhere, generally?

Thanks.
Yeah, I did for a few months, some of the looks I got from people were funny also, have to wear sunglasses always now when I am outside and have started to wear them in front of the pc now it helps alot too.
Very true for such programs. But I guess I fancy a routine setup right off the bat^^ It's cool either way.

Heh, I can imagine that perfectly! But it gives you a confidence boost if you keep it up for a little bit. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ;)

@Kentona: What a year man. Just hang in there.
@Kylalia: I know how that is, I had my debit card stolen in the last year. It always sucks.
@Yellow Magic: App dev is not that terrible, not bad at all.

Well, I'll give a quick recap of my year:
-Went to japan looking for work
-75 days later end up broke and homeless due to having someone steal my debit card when I was sleeping at the hostel
-10 days later after walking from saitama to the airport, I go back to the states
-Work at a little ceasers
-Wages got cut so work at the local bakery
-Temp agency renigged my contract.
-Work at Universal Studios as a magician
-laid off due to no skill in magic
-Work at Girodano's until I realized I could not afford food(I lost 26 pounds, so I got worried about my $260 a month pay check not being enough).
-Left Florida for a job in Tennesse as a camp instructor
-Job finished, waiting for plane ticket from PI firm in Tokyo I managed to get hired at.

Yeah, that about sums up my year. Poverty and work. Joy. It's not that bad though, I got something to look forward to.
-Work at Universal Studios as a magician
-laid off due to no skill in magic

Sorry, but I laughed out loud at this part.

I hope things get better.

FYI This thread is now "describe the shitty year you've been having"
Pages: first 12 next last