[RM2K3] VARIABLE IDS PAST 5000?

Pages: 1
Hello, everyone. I used to be really active in the online RPG Maker communities a looooong time ago (Ahh, War of the Magi and Kesoten. Good times), and I could swear that there was a patch back then that would make it so that you could have up to 10000 variable IDs and switch IDs instead of just 5000.

I've been working on my project for over a year, and I've just recently realized that with the stock number of variable IDs, I don't have enough room to complete my work! I'm currently using approximately 3500 variable IDs, and I need another 3306 for an extremely important system that the game cannot lack, and I don't know what to do. I've been searching for this old patch for ages, and I can't find it *anywhere*. I just keep on getting Cherry's Pic Picker thing, because the vocabulary he uses in his description includes the phrases "Variable ID", "5000", and "10000", which seems to be throwing Google for a loop.

But even if that patch is long gone, if there's anyone out there who can help me figure out how to do this manually, that would be just as good. I managed to succeed recently in fully creating *and* implementing my own custom font into my project, so I'm pretty sure that I can handle this too, were I to be provided with the instructions. So don't feel the need to be all "oh, well, that's super complicated," 'cause I know that, and I'm ready to tackle this bitch! If I have to hack into the program with some sort of hex editor or something, then so be it! =P

A huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this problem. <3
Dear God, what kind of variable mayhem are you creating? o.O;

You might want to check the Utility/Plugin section (under the Development header drop down list) or look into some of Cherry's stuff.
author=Rhamos_Vhailejh
how to do this manually
<> Change Variable: [0001] = 8000
<> Change Variable: [V[0001]] = 1
The word you are looking for is 'variable reference' (a.k.a. pointer)

Or just launch your game via Cherry's RM2k9

Those array limitations are just some editor thing. The game itself can handle far more than you think it's allowed to.
author=Liberty
Dear God, what kind of variable mayhem are you creating? o.O;
I'm afraid I must keep that a secret until it's all finished. ;)

author=Liberty
You might want to check the Utility/Plugin section (under the Development header drop down list) or look into some of Cherry's stuff.

I've actually looked through the entire Utility/Plugin section of this site about four times, I think. The closest thing I could find was RM Limit Changer, but that doesn't apply to Variable IDs.

author=bugmenot
author=Rhamos_Vhailejh
how to do this manually
The word you are looking for is 'variable reference' (a.k.a. pointer)

Or just launch your game via Cherry's RM2k9

Those array limitations are just some editor thing. The game itself can handle far more than you think it's allowed to.

WHOA, wait?! WHAT?! Are you telling me that if I change a variable value by referencing the variable ID via a variable value (like variable 0001 pointing to 8000 by its value), that it will actually go ahead and register that, properly? Like a limitless amount of unnamed and non-directly-accessible variables?! If this is what you're telling me, then that is PERFECT! Or at least sufficient! I can keep track of which variable beyond 5000 is what via a Wordpad document (that's how I keep track of all of my variable values anyway, so also logging their names is no biggie).

EDIT: I've also never heard of Cherry's RM2K9. Although now that I've checked out that page, I must say that I find it extremely tantalizing. I'm gonna' have to try that out at this point. I'm also very tantalized by all the delicious stuff on this site's Plugin/Utility page, and at some point or another, I now want to try my hand at an RM2K3 that's just chock full of badass mods.

EDIT EDIT: I'm seriously freaking out right now. You have no idea how excited I am by this notion that I can potentially have an UNLIMITED number of variables! :D
Just so I'm clear....
This will result in an unnamed, invisible-but-still-present Variable 8000 being set as equaling 1, yes? (I figured this is an easier way to word my above question)

EDIT EDIT EDITlol: Okay, so I just finished testing this out pretty thoroughly. This is the most brilliant piece of ingenuity that I've seen in a long time. I can't believe I never thought of this! SUUUUUUUPER thanks go out to you, my friend!
They are unnamed and the array of existing variables should widen... dunno how it's supposed to slow your game down if there are more than 100.000 variables.

You actually only need to launch your game once with RM2k9, set the array size of variables/switches to whatever and you're done. The limitation is saved in the .ldb database file, so you can use your non-RM2k9 to do stuff (in case of unfamiliarity with RM2k9), name/rename stuff outside of that wordpad document.
So you mean that I can open the project in 2k9, change the variable array size, save the project, and then open it back up in 2k3, and it'll still work, complete with the array size modification? 'Cause seriously, that's a hell of a lot less effort, so if I'm not misunderstanding you, then that sounds like the muuuuch better way to go. :D

EDIT: Also, if the above is accurate, will doing this affect my ability to use Cherry's Hyper Patcher 2 (I'm only using it for changing the font). I'm also wanting to utilize the plugin that can be found here on this site which allows you to completely skip the title screen and just automatically go into new game, and also allows you to make save/load checks and to call the load menu. I can't recall what it's called off-hand, but will I still be able to use that and HP2 if I do this?
No, HP2 doesn't interfere with it. RM2k9 is purely an addon on the editor-side, while HP2 does a modification on the engine-side.

Why it works: Actually, the limitation to 5000 there, like with most of the database entries (heroes, skills, ...) are purely a limitation of the edit box in the editor where you can set the size. The creators probably thought it's gonna be enough to put a limit of 5000, but this kinda reminds me of the 640 KB memory limit quite some time ago ;)
There are few limitations where changing something in the editor isn't sufficient, such as the picture limit, because there the engine has the values hardcoded as well (for pictures: in the methods which initialize/update/draw pictures).

The variable reference trick works because the RPG Maker tries to save memory and will only hold as many variables in memory as required for the highest changed variable. So, when you start a new game, there will be no variables in memory. If you change variable 100, memory will be allocated for variables 1-100, etc., regardless how much you set as limit in the editor. The editor limit is only used in the F9 debug menu, actually.

Have fun exploring all the new stuff ^^
I hope you have already discovered http://cherrytree.at/dynrpg </advertisement>
Oh, wow. I've certainly heard of DynRPG, but I didn't know what it actually was. That is extremely awesome! And it makes me wish I knew C++. lol. But this is really great to know. Holy snap, I just realized that you're Cherry. lol. Love your work, dude!

As long as I've got you here, I don't suppose that you'd know of any way to redefine the width and height parameters of the font display? I've done a great deal of work trying to pack a taller and wider font to fit into 2k3's specifications, and I *really* wish that I could make it so that it can give a few letters (m, w, and h come to mind) a slightly wider birth before the next letter starts getting drawn on top of it. I've managed to tweak my font to such an extent that it's at least legible, and the letters which do bleed into each other only just *barely* do so, but if there's any way to improve that at all, that'd be pretty phenomenal.

Also, I haven't tested this yet, because I've been afraid of somehow breaking my project, to be honest, but if I use HP2 to change the font, and then make changes to that project, and then save it again in the editor, will it over-write the HP2 changes with the stock stuff again, requiring me to re-patch it again every time I save the project, or will it spit some kind of error at me along the lines of "unable to save because unexpected stuff", or will it all be fine? And if I compile an install disk of my completed game, will that installation install the game using the modified RPG_RT that I patched with HP2, or will it be the regular, unmodified RPG_RT that it creates for the installation disk, requiring anyone who downloads my game to manually patch it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really excited by all this new potential that I'm discovering. :D :D :D
No problem.

See, patching the RPG_RT doesn't interfere with saving your game's data at all. That's because the game data is kept in separate files; the engine is not supposed to be changed by normal means.

There is no way to change the size of the "normal" font (i.e. the font used in message boxes and menus), it's hardcoded at too many places. However, it would most likely be possible (or maybe it is already - I lost the overview as well, I am afraid) to do this using a DynRPG plugin or RPGSS script (RPGSS is a DynRPG plugin which "translates" the C++ API of DynRPG for use by Lua scripts and adds several extra features), but this plugin would then write the text into a picture or similar and display it, it would still not modify the "normal" fonts. There is a plugin DynText, but as far as I know, it currently only utilizes the default font, no custom fonts.
author=Cherry
See, patching the RPG_RT doesn't interfere with saving your game's data at all. That's because the game data is kept in separate files; the engine is not supposed to be changed by normal means.
So then what you're saying is that when I press the 'save' button in the editor, it actually never even so much as glances in the RPG_RT's direction? Because that would actually really put my mind at ease.

author=Cherry
There is no way to change the size of the "normal" font (i.e. the font used in message boxes and menus), it's hardcoded at too many places. However, it would most likely be possible (or maybe it is already - I lost the overview as well, I am afraid) to do this using a DynRPG plugin or RPGSS script (RPGSS is a DynRPG plugin which "translates" the C++ API of DynRPG for use by Lua scripts and adds several extra features), but this plugin would then write the text into a picture or similar and display it, it would still not modify the "normal" fonts. There is a plugin DynText, but as far as I know, it currently only utilizes the default font, no custom fonts.
Alright, with the exception of that wonderful information to plugins, that was more or less the answer I was expecting for that one.
What about the install disk question? Does the install file created by the editor utilize a fresh RPG_RT that gets created or some such, or does it use whatever RPG_RT you have in the project folder at the time that you created the install disk? I figure if the people who download the game have to install all these patches themselves, that would kind of suck because even if it's made to be as simple as possible, there'd still be so many frustrated and dissatisfied people who can't seem to figure it out.
@Saving: Yes, exactly.

@Install disk: It would use the RPG_RT.exe in the folder, although I advise against usage of the install disk feature anyway. Firstly, as far as I know it won't add additional files like plugins or readme files. Secondly, the compression is not that good. And it often gets filename encoding wrong when you are using non-English characters in filenames (äöü, etc.). (And I'm not sure whether it works correctly in Windows 8 without compatibility mode.)

I'd pack the game in a ZIP/RAR/7Z archive to publish it. If you are afraid a player wouldn't know what to do with it, consider a self-extracting archive. In case you would like to use the "include RTP" feature, you can also just copy all files you are using from the RTP into your project, and then open RPG_RT.ini and add "FullPackageFlag=1" at the end (this will turn off the check whether RTP is installed).
Excellent. While I've been using RPG Maker 2000/2003 for half my life, I've still never actually *finished* a project, so I didn't know all that about the game disk. That is some extremely important information, and I will certainly take your advice (this project that I'm working on now *is* going to be finished)!
Pages: 1