LEGEND OF OTAKU - A CARD BASED RPG WITH A UNIQUE TWIST (NEED HELP)

Pages: 1
Legend of Otaku: Adventures of the Almighty Nerd is a unique card based RPG.

There's only one problem. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM THIS GAME OR IT'S VARIOUS ELEMENTS, LET ALONE MAKING THE GRAPHICAL WORK AND SUCH.

I am willing to accept any help, however small, and for right now I am trying to create a small 'proof of concept' version of the game to demonstrate the unique battle system it employs.

What is this unique system? Well if someone asks I'll be more than happy to elaborate on it. For now I need to wait to see if anyone is even interested in helping...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
You probably would have had me if you said "Legend of Okiku".

More serious post:
I'm not sure how much interest I would be in this, as you're not really saying anything. Perhaps, at the least, a few sample cards and an explanation of how those cards might interact would be in order?

*Edit: If it were me, I'd fire up my copy of Magic Set Editor, and make a few sample cards with that. Yeah, I'd leave the card-art blank, but, for proof-of-concept, that should be fine. Probably.
Thanks.

The proof of concept is for the battle engine itself.

See, it works like this:

Each character receives a separate deck that is their abilities in combat. When fighting, each character draws to their hand and can select attacks from their hand to use in battle.

The options in combat are as follows:
Engage: Use a card to attack an opponent
Rethink: Spend turn to get a better hand
Defend: Sacrifice a card for defense power
Items: Use an item (separate from item based cards)
Retreat: Attempts to escape from battle

During the game, the stats you have determine which cards you can place in your deck, as well as deck size, hand size, turn speed, and your ultimate move charge speed. Each card possesses specific stat requirements, and unless they are matched or exceeded, your character cannot use the ability.

In addition, the statistics are thus:
Strength: Determines phys. attack and max health
Endurance: Determines phys. defense and deck size
Intelligence: Determines spell power/defense and max hand size
Speed: Determines turn order, item moves, and Ultima(te) gather speed)

Different characters also have different styles, and are also more effective against certain types of enemies (I'll go over that another time). for example:

Buster: Uses heavy blades. Built for heavy phys. warfare. Also uses moves built for breaking defense, countering enemy defense, and so on

Sneak: Uses projectile weapons/special combat items. Built for stacked damage and special effects. Uses moves for physical status effects like bind, smokescreen, and blind

Black Witch: Uses wands. Built for dealing magical damage/negative effects. Uses black magic (which comes in four flavors: ice, fire, thunder, and dark)

White Witch: Uses staves. Built for curing effects and healing. Uses healing moves, curing moves, and so on.

Of course there's the main class of the game, but I have to go right now. I'll go more into detail another time.
BTW thanks for that maker name. Magic Set Editor, huh?
Huh, that's going to be variables upon switches upon conditional branches over and over for the entirety of the game --and that's just for the system too...

I'm not sure if there was a handy script available, and as I've said, it's going to be extremely taxing to event.

~So in short, sorry can't help you ;)
Oh, and you forgot to mention what engine you intend to use. That might help.
I don't know what engine I would use. I'm brand new at this stuff.

All I have is the idea of the game and details on classes, some enemy types, a few abilities, and that's it.

I'm a complete newb at game making. So do you know anyone who could help me?

I also have other games I'd like to make. Like Mana: Liquid Power.
Here is my best advice here: First take a sheet of paper, cut it into "cards" and write what they are going to do. If you are going to design a card game, it needs to be practical enough to function without a program as well. Set up a basic "AI" deck for you to fight against. This will let you refine your system.
It sounds like you have alot of ideas here, but not all of them are going to be fun or practical.I get the idea of having stats, it's a rpg staple, but in a deck based battle, card draw and card selection is FAR more important. If you have higher grade cards in MTG for example, you are going to have more options. The same applies to here, and it is for this reason that stats don't work in this format. It just makes the game completely unbalanced and you lose most control to do damage control to try to re-balance it later. Simplicity is your friend.

So, once you work out a practical prototype, go download Game Maker and learn how to use the interface. Don't even dare use rpg maker, you will just dig yourself into a hole where you will spend months, even years using conditional branches, loops, variables and labels in order to even get a demo to function properly.
Hmm...thank you for that facesforce.

However:

The stats are there to LIMIT WHAT CARDS YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE. In this game you change abilities, not equipment. Think of it like how you can't use certain techniques in a battle unless you have conditioned yourself properly to do so. A mage needs to be properly educated to use a certain spell, as well a warrior a skill. That is the goal here.

The battle isn't entirely deck based. The individual DECKS (because each character has separate attacks they alone can use) determine what moves you can fight using. As well as how strong they can defend you when sacrificed for such.

Higher grade cards are meant to be used by higher grade characters. You can keep the lower tier cards for increasing the size of the deck and giving you more options, or a smaller size to reach them faster at the risk of more turns left vulnerable.

There's a lot more to this game than just being card-based. It's a very intricate balance I'm attempting to achieve of what abilities a player can equip and when.

Then there's the Otaku, who isn't bound by class limits for abilities and can fulfill any role it's built for.

Perhaps I should find a D&D set and use that to plan this out. That sounds like a good idea. It's not going to be very simple, but it will work.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
A few thoughts on using RPG Maker VX/VX Ace:
It kinda sounds to me like you could set up the Skills database to be your universal card database. The player's deck I could see being an array that points to the various IDs in that list. The weird part is when you find a need to shuffle your deck, and draw from it to formulate your hand. So, what I would do is have maybe two instances of a "Deck" class (or whatever). One would be the player's deck in it's entirety (I assume your deck is reset after every match), and the other would be the one that represents the deck you would perform the "Shuffle" and "Draw" functions with.

Though, if players can have multiple copies of cards in their deck, this is not a particularly workable solution, as I'm pretty sure RPG Maker does not display duplicate skills by default. Which either means more script-delving to figure out what you need to do (and how), or, as suggested, using a different engine.
Like game maker.

I'm glad you're able to see where I'm going with this, Marrend.

I actually intended for some cards to make use of copies in the deck, like cards that have the 'rapid fire' trait, which allows multiple instances of a card to be played at the same time to multiply the damage.

Hmm...what about using counters?

Since the abilities are drawn at random, I could make the deck a simple animation set to show what's going on and instead have it so that the cards are in a pool, and each card has a counter limit. When drawn, the counter controls how many and how likely each card is able to be drawn. This could solve the problem.

I mean, a deck is random anyway, so why not play to that? Use the deck for animations and make the programming more pool-and-counter based.

I'm wondering if Baten Kaitos is similar to that...I'm trying it right now and I'm kind of afraid...
Okay now I'm a little scared. And angry.

Something JUST CAME OUT ON STEAM that is a card JRPG called The Sacred Tears TRUE

AND IT WAS MADE WITH RPG MAKER!
False alarm. It wasn't like what I came up with.

That said, there's apparently a Chain of Memories plugin for RPGmaker that I might be able to use. With edits to the code here and there of course.
I'm glad to know that 1 year after that post it all turned out to be false alarm. Imagine if it wasn't, though. Those people would have made a complete game using your vague, not so unique ideas, and having it published on Steam in less than 1 week. That would actually be pretty amazing.
author=Milennin
I'm glad to know that 1 year after that post it all turned out to be false alarm. Imagine if it wasn't, though. Those people would have made a complete game using your vague, not so unique ideas, and having it published on Steam in less than 1 week. That would actually be pretty amazing.

The idea is more unique than you think. I've actually done some research on this concept and there isn't a game out there that handles the combat this way.

author=facesforce
Here is my best advice here: First take a sheet of paper, cut it into "cards" and write what they are going to do. If you are going to design a card game, it needs to be practical enough to function without a program as well. Set up a basic "AI" deck for you to fight against. This will let you refine your system.
It sounds like you have alot of ideas here, but not all of them are going to be fun or practical.I get the idea of having stats, it's a rpg staple, but in a deck based battle, card draw and card selection is FAR more important. If you have higher grade cards in MTG for example, you are going to have more options. The same applies to here, and it is for this reason that stats don't work in this format. It just makes the game completely unbalanced and you lose most control to do damage control to try to re-balance it later. Simplicity is your friend.

So, once you work out a practical prototype, go download Game Maker and learn how to use the interface. Don't even dare use rpg maker, you will just dig yourself into a hole where you will spend months, even years using conditional branches, loops, variables and labels in order to even get a demo to function properly.

The idea is to bridge both stats and cards. The stats can allow you to increase your odds with specific cards and improve the character's ability to work, and the cards will give you abilities you can draw from to use. The battle isn't outright deck-based. It's more like the deck is your equipment, and you have to choose what abilities you take into battle. Even then you won't have access to all of them all of the time, so you have to account for that.

That said, you make an excellent point. I should work out the card-based elements, maybe using a combination of D&D character sheets and card-like placeholders so I can get a physical representation of how the idea is supposed to work.

Off topic I apologize for not following up for a year. I've been...really distracted. But it's high time to get myself in gear.
author=yugijak
The idea is more unique than you think. I've actually done some research on this concept and there isn't a game out there that handles the combat this way.

I don't know, a quick glance at your ideas instantly reminded me of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Legendary_Super_Warriors (which was an awesome game, by the way).
author=Milennin
I don't know, a quick glance at your ideas instantly reminded me of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Legendary_Super_Warriors (which was an awesome game, by the way).

Well, in all fairness, the ideas are still at their beginning stages. Just like with any project, they'll have to be changed and cultivated as everything comes to fruition. Some of the ideas may already be a little different, speaking that it has been a year since.

@yugijak I will suggest that your main focus should be getting your idea set in stone so that you can present it a little more clearly. Using crude practice cards, as suggested above, to test the mechanics of your game is the best approach to take.

I also would not let the similarities of too many other card games bother you. It is a good idea to test them out and see what they're about, but if you worry too much about them, you waste valuable time that could be spent on improving your idea.

Just try your best and make it the way you like it.
author=Aetherrevival
author=Milennin
Well, in all fairness, the ideas are still at their beginning stages. Just like with any project, they'll have to be changed and cultivated as everything comes to fruition. Some of the ideas may already be a little different, speaking that it has been a year since.

@yugijak I will suggest that your main focus should be getting your idea set in stone so that you can present it a little more clearly. Using crude practice cards, as suggested above, to test the mechanics of your game is the best approach to take.

I also would not let the similarities of too many other card games bother you. It is a good idea to test them out and see what they're about, but if you worry too much about them, you waste valuable time that could be spent on improving your idea.

Just try your best and make it the way you like it.

Thank you.

I'm actually drafting up a mock demonstration of the battle system using Flash and some sprite sheets. This way I can get a better look at how things like battles will play out visually. It's very rough, using a lot of pre-made stuff, but it should work for now.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
Well, I made a battle card game using RM2K years ago. It's different from your idea but maybe you can get some ideas from it. You can find it on this site:

Deus Cards

The code is all there so maybe it can give you some ideas on how to structure your own game in VX Ace. Hope it helps.
author=watermark
Well, I made a battle card game using RM2K years ago. It's different from your idea but maybe you can get some ideas from it. You can find it on this site:

Deus Cards

The code is all there so maybe it can give you some ideas on how to structure your own game in VX Ace. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I'll be sure to look it over.
At least It's a starting point. Now I just need some placeholder art and a bit of programming magic...
Pages: 1