WHAT GAMES SHOULD I PLAY?

Pages: first 12 next last
So I went through my list of games that I own that I intended to play but never did.

Bastion
Borderlands 2
Braid
Breath of Death VII
Castle Crashers
Red Alert 3
Cthulhu Saves the World
Defender's Quest
FEZ
Final Fantasy VII
Hammerwatch
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Civ 5
SimCity 4
The Stick of Truth
Titan Quest
Torchlight II
Opoona
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Skyward Sword
Dragon Quest Swords

What should I play guys?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I was going to suggest Dragon Age and Dragon Age II because they're really solid RPGs but then I noticed Braid on your list. You really owe it to yourself to play it.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I don't know your preferences, so I'm gonna make some suggestions just from a practical standpoint: I would stay away from games that require a major investment in time. So I'd strike off Borderlands 2, Civ 5, Monster Hunter 3, and possibly Final Fantasy 7 from the list. The Dragon Age games might need striking off as well depending on if you're a completionist or not. They're all amazing games, but depending on your schedule and how much free time you have, it might takes you a loooooong time (Read: about 5 months) to finish them.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 can be completed in relatively short time and are fun to boot. But make sure you get ME3 to complete the trilogy. Stick of Truth should ONLY be played when your kids are not around.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Bastion, Braid, and possibly Torchlight 2 if you like dungeon crawlers. Skyward Sword is fun for the whole family until you accidentally hit them in the face swinging a Wiimote.

Now, assuming time is not a factor, my top 6 picks would be, in order of preference: Dragon Age Origins, Bastion, Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 (you'll want to play 3 after you play 1 and 2), and finally Dragon Age 2 because Inquisition comes out in a couple of months and it's looking to be a great game.

Now I need to go wash my mouth out with soap for even HINTING at someone not playing Dragon Age...
Dragon Age is one of them new-fangled games. My PS3 isn't even plugged in right now.

(but I did dig out my NES, SNES and N64 out of storage this past weekend!)
Stick of Truth is good fun. It's a simplistic RPG with tons of EXCELLENT South Park humour. If you like the show, you'll love the game.
Well of those titles I can only personally recommend Skyward Sword, Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy VII. Skyward Sword would be the top pick. Despite liking the FF series more DQ 8 is amazing and I think I'll recommend it over FF 7.

I have also played Opoona but I didn't take the time to beat it I've been too busy. My opinion of it so far is that its just okay not great but still kinda fun.

Although I have yet to try Braid or FEZ they look really cool.

My best friend Josh likes Mass Effect so I trust that its good but like Nova said if you like it get the third game too.
huh. I figured you guys would be all over this thread, hyping your fave games or whatever.
Borderlands 2
Castle Crashers
FEZ
Final Fantasy VII
Civ 5
Monster Hunter 3

I only played these games. Castle Crashers is a lot of fun. A beat-em-up with RPG leveling and mario 3 style world map. I'd recommend this over the rest.

Borderlands is my favorite of the bunch. If you like shooters it's a blast.
Try Fez, Kentona. It does some interesting things gameplay-wise and it's quick and dirty. Its puzzles can be a bit obtuse, but the game is beatable without having to figure out the more obscure ones.

I really wanted to like Opoona, its character art and music are both charming. But its random encounters are frequent and slow and the whole thing just feels looooooooong. Admittedly I haven't gotten very far, maybe the second dungeon?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I really think you should play FFVII, no matter what anyone else may say.
Hard to go wrong with any of these, kentuna.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy 7's the obvious one--it's got a few aging issues with some of the visuals (though they hold up better than a lot of stuff from that era) and the pacing of the battles are a bit slow because of lengthy battle animations, but I think it's pretty much an essential RPG.

You'll like Dragon Quest 8 since it keeps the series's exploration, which seemed to be a big influence on Hero's Realm's design. The game's skill progression system isn't as cool as earlier Dragon Quests, though. The art direction and characterization are a few notches above previous entries.

I fucking loved Monster Hunter Tri, so I'd give that a playthrough. It's got great mechanics--it just takes a while to get through the early missions, which aren't as engaging as hunting big game. Expect to spend a few hours learning how to gather materials and fight small monsters before you get to fight something cool, but once you do fight a bigger monster, you'll pretty much be doing that for the rest of the game (with some breaks to stock up on supplies).
The Mass Effect games are great... but I found the first game VERY hard to get into for some reason. I mean, once I did, I was hooked, but in my usually invalid opinion, the beginning of the game was... obtuse? Slow? Not all that and a bag of chips? If you get through that, you're in for a great ride. And the games aren't overly long. If you have a modicum of skill, you can get through each one of the games (and do just about everything) in about 30 hours.

The Dragon Age series is also worth playing... BUT the second game is often viewed as a smoldering pile of dung due to the fact you NEVER leave the city you start in.

Castle Crashers and Bastion are ton of fun if you're looking to kill a few hours.

Also, I'll come out and say that Skyward Sword was awful. You should use the game as a coaster for your drink while you're playing something else.
Borderlands 2 with friends is loads fun.

Any game with friends tends to be loads fun.
Fuck. Now I need to make friends.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Sailerius
I was going to suggest Dragon Age and Dragon Age II because they're really solid RPGs but then I noticed Braid on your list. You really owe it to yourself to play it.

Braid is my favourite game of all time. Not even exaggerating. I think it's the pinnacle of game design.
You should play more Diablo 2.
Could have sworn I'd given my opinion in this thread already, but norp. Well, let's fix that shall we?

- FFVII is a must. It's the quintessential jRPG and it's a lot of fun to boot. Also, do you get the references that have been made from the game without having played it?

- Dragon Quest VIII is another great jRPG. I found it charming and fun, and while there's a bit of grinding that you'll need to do, I think you'll enjoy it.

- Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 are also really nice games and deserve to be checked out. The play style is a bit different to normal jRPGs, though having played the SW games it might be easier for you to get used to. The stories are pretty good, yeah, but it's the characters that make this series shine. Interactions and characters that talk to each other... hnnng, dose things I do like~ They're also pretty damn fun.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
You could probably knock out Bastion in a couple of hours, and I do recommend doing so.
Pages: first 12 next last