ZERO SUIT SAMUS

Pages: first 1234 next last
I was thinking about the older designs for Samus without armor and man, they just work. They look way better than the current Zero suit in my opinion.

Here is her Super Metroid design
Here's a close up: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130627200806/metroid/images/d/d8/Samus_Aran_Varia_suit_Super_Metroid_Player%27s_Guide_1994.jpg

Here is her Metroid Prime design

Both of those images feel more like the true Samus than the Zero suit design. Plus, Gunpei Yokoi was still around to approve of the SNES design.
I don't hate the new look but I just feel like it doesn't suit Samus as well the more naturalistic older designs. These days she's looking more like an anime character. NOTE - I LOVE ANIME but I don't think the particular anime style that they use for Samus works as well as a more naturalistic look does.

For comparison here's the Zero Suit

What do you think is the best design for Samus?

Do you want her design to go back to her roots like I do or do you prefer the current designs?

As a side note - I like all of the various power suits. They are all bad ass looking. I wish the light suit was an alt costume in Smash.

Experiment status report update: Metroid project 'Dread' is nearing the final stages of completion.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
You wanna talk about Samus without armor? There's only one argument:

Doesn't she look sharp?
unity
You're magical to me.
What I don't get is why does the Zero Suit now have high-heels? Those are just asking for you to trip and fall in a combat situation, especially if there's grating or any other non-flat surface.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
To be fair, the first time the Zero Suit had high heels was in Other M. Granted, they weren't as... prominent as they are in the new Smash, but that is where they started.

I remember Nintendo giving out some garbage excuse as to why the Zero Suit has them now, but I can't remember what it was. Until I remember the reason, I'll just pretend they're some sort of fall stabilizer boots like what Chell had in the Portal games. Because reality is too bitter a pill for me to swallow.

EDIT: No, I will not forget the betrayal that was Other M. If we forget the past, we are doomed to repeat it!
I pretty much agree with RedMask.
Whatever this design is made for, it's clearly not combat.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Because when Nintendo said that the WiiU was going to be aimed at a more mature audience, they meant 13-year-olds instead of 4-year-olds.
author=Sailerius
Because when Nintendo said that the WiiU was going to be aimed at a more mature audience, they meant 13-year-olds instead of 4-year-olds.

That made my day. XD

My friend's like the new design, but that's just because of the overall sexual saturation.
Examples

I think they over did it with the heels. They said it was to give her a larger variety of attacks, because they're rocket powered. They just seem unneeded.
There are justifications for the zero suit.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Suit

Sure it's sexy.
Do I choose to focus on that aspect of the suit alone and discredit the rest?
No.
Those who do, grow up.

I'd accept any design for Samus. She shoots at aliens and stuff. Whether she looks sexy doing it or not is not the point. As long as she does what she's made for, what she looks like is irrelevant.
Or are we still going to judge women, real and fictional, based on their appearance?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Avee
There are justifications for the zero suit.

That's just it: justifications. If there weren't something questionable, it wouldn't need "justifying".

author=Your own source
After Samus uses her Final Smash, the Zero Laser, her Power Suit falls off, leaving her in only the Zero Suit. This form of Samus is quicker and more agile, but also weaker.

You know what the world needs? More vulnerable representations of women.

You like it because you're a man and, as long as the bigwigs don't threaten to take away your digital boobies, you're okay with this kind of thing.

author=Avee
She shoots at aliens and stuff. Whether she looks sexy doing it or not is not the point. As long as she does what she's made for, what she looks like is irrelevant.
author=Avee
As long as she does what she's made for

Exhibit B:

"She's got a gun; I see no problem here."

author=Avee
grow up

Honestly, I think you should.

inb4 "condescending, man-hating, desperate-" because I've honestly been approached like this before.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
The problem isn't the design itself but that Nintendo chooses to use it in a way that makes her into nothing more than a sex object. Look at every screenshot just posted; she is constantly contorting in such a way as to show off her enormous breasts in every single promotional image.

By presenting her in this way, Nintendo implores us not to take her seriously as a character but to ogle her as a sex object.

But I guess when your console is bleeding money as fast and hard as the WiiU, falling back on the old adage that sex sells is a pretty safe bet to try to stop hemorrhaging relevance.
Yeah, I tend to heir on the side of caution when nay saying representation of women in games. There's a big difference between being a sex object and being sexy. Focusing on boobs and crazy contortions of a woman's body is a pretty big indicator of a woman in a video game being presented as a sex object. Oh and if I think I can see vagina but maybe not that's a big tip off too (hi bayonetta screen above). Zero Suit Samus was sexy before but not a sex object. It's always kinda hard because there are so many other things about the girls in the game that I appreciate like Bayonetta's badassery.
author=Sailerius
By presenting her in this way, Nintendo implores us not to take her seriously as a character but to ogle her as a sex object.

It's hard to say that this is the designers' intent, I mean, I can't read their minds. Viewers still choose what they think of her, consciously or not. A degrading sex object, or an edgy and sexy take on her character that acknowledges her as a woman, or just a cheap and increasingly acceptable male teen audience bait, or anything else.
And the people who take and distribute these screenshots are obviously going to go for the sexier, more shocking poses (because, I guess, society conditions us to seek attention and rouse up heated debates using drama, shock and lies, and some of us easily fall victim to it).

I can only speak for myself. What I choose to think of zero suit Samus is an edgy and sexy take on her character that acknowledges her as a woman. I'd agree that there is also a hefty amount of audience bait in there but oversexualization or degradation? Really?
I can't control what other people choose to think when they see that suit. What that says about themselves or how that affects their beliefs and behavior towards real women around them is a major concern to me:

I hate it when anyone, male or female or anything in between, is being thought of or treated differently because of their appearance, especially in a negative way. In the past I even scolded a female friend for saying she'd punch a girl in the face just because she hates the way that girl looked. And I rage when I hear people say that little girls in tank tops and skirts look like whores. Such remarks tell me that these people have no respect, no consideration of others and revolting immaturity.
So when I hear people say that X character is oversexualized and they claim or interpret things such as "she's degrading to all women" or "she's ought to be vulnerable" and hate her and disregard everything else about the character, I can only fear the damage these people might do to the real women around them.

What I know is that I respect and consider women in their entirety, both in real life and fiction. Physical appearance, to me, is but one aspect of your being or personality among thousands. Therefore it has little importance.
And true oversexualization is as bad as excessive censorship. It reduces human beings to a single aspect of their character and denies them the rights to be what they want to be and do what they want to do.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=It's hard to say that this is the designers' intent, I mean, I can't read their minds.

No, it's not. You can read the designers' intent by looking at her costume, her proportions, her poses, and her animations. They make it unambiguous what the designers' intentions are. There is no other way to interpret it.

author=I hate it when anyone, male or female or anything in between, is being thought of or treated differently because of their appearance,

Samus is not a human being. She is a character, designed by people. She did not "choose" to be a sex object because she has no agency. She was designed that way.
My point was more about how reacting to a symbol or fictional character can affect how you react to a real person.
I believe that our personal interpretations and opinions are of lesser importance.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I don't think anyone here is negatively reacting to Samus. They're negatively reacting to Nintendo's disgusting degradation of her character.
If I for one minute agree with you I'd say that her bikini shot at the end of the NES game was already degrading. The pixels still leave a lot of room for imagination, but you get the idea. That shot is presented as the reward for being a skilled and seasoned player. Is it that new and revolting that modern day Samus is depicted as a sex object, then? Didn't the designers always wanted her to be that way?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Avee
I can only speak for myself. What I choose to think of zero suit Samus is an edgy and sexy take on her character that acknowledges her as a woman.* I'd agree that there is also a hefty amount of audience bait in there but oversexualization or degradation? Really?**
I can't control what other people choose to think when they see that suit. What that says about themselves or how that affects their beliefs and behavior towards real women around them is a major concern to me...

And I rage when I hear people say that little girls in tank tops and skirts look like whores. Such remarks tell me that these people have no respect, no consideration of others and revolting immaturity.***
So when I hear people say that X character is oversexualized and they claim or interpret things such as "she's degrading to all women" or "she's ought to be vulnerable" and hate her and disregard everything else about the character, I can only fear the damage these people might do to the real women around them.****

* The way you connect being a woman to sexuality really disturbs me.
** You can't harm characters. You can, however, harm the way some men might view women. Something I think you've fallen victim to, yourself. You even acknowledge this in your next sentence.
*** People have the right to dress as they want. However, you must still respect yourself and your body and how you represent yourself is a big part of that. Discipline is important to set socially acceptable boundaries, and is the only way we learn.
**** Blaming the people who blow whistles over this kind of thing goes to show how warped your viewpoint is. Nobody's hating a character, they're hating the way they're portrayed because media has a lasting influence on the way our society views things.

author=Avee
Is it that new and revolting that modern day Samus is depicted as a sex object, then? Didn't the designers always wanted her to be that way?

History isn't a good point of reference to argue how current things should be.

EDIT: I just want to get this out of the way. People can be sexy and there's nothing wrong with that, but being sexy, much like sex itself, is supposed to be an intimate affair. You are sexy to your lover, but you shouldn't concern yourself with being sexy for the rest of the world.

Video game characters, as Sailerius put it, lack agency - they are designed a certain way for a certain purpose - and therefore lack that intimacy. They're a poster on the wall for the viewer's pleasure. They are an empty shell that serves as a representation of what society strives for. Women feeling the need to walk around in their underwear everywhere they go just so that men can acknowledge them as women (or people, for that matter) isn't a culture we should aspire to.
I don't see too many alternative explanations for her 'breast enhancement' from Brawl to WiiU.

I've never played a metroid game, nor have I seen more than a few minutes of gameplay. I did, however, really like how Samus in the original SSB was a female character defined by things unrelated to her measurements or make-up. Call it what you will, it's a super rare thing to have a cast that isn't all different types of males and then a barbie or two.

Zero-Suit could have been alright, but she ends up as a sort of love-letter to barbies. Skin-tight outfit makes sense, but the heels? The pony-tail? The whip? The inexplicable expanding bust? No, I can't ignore what's going on here...it's nothing more than the usual but certainly not Samus as I knew her.
author=Corfaisus
author=Your own source
After Samus uses her Final Smash, the Zero Laser, her Power Suit falls off, leaving her in only the Zero Suit. This form of Samus is quicker and more agile, but also weaker.

You know what the world needs? More vulnerable representations of women.
The world needs less over reacting, too. That change of stats would happen to a man. It's a hefty suit. What next? "Ban female white mages! It furthers the stereotype that woman are weak at physical combat."

but being sexy, much like sex itself, is supposed to be an intimate affair. You are sexy to your lover, but you shouldn't concern yourself with being sexy for the rest of the world.
This is an opinion, not a rule. I find it funny that you would call someone else's viewpoint warped, then follow it up with this.

As games get more realistic, some things will appear more sexualized. RL girls are sexy.
Are you saying that game girls look like RL girls?
Pages: first 1234 next last