HOW DO YOU MAKE ENEMIES?

Pages: first 12 next last
Okay, while I don't tend to make many enemies, I do tend to alienate and lose friends rather easily. Mostly I tend to let relationships languish - I fail to invest the time needed to maintain a good relationship. Maybe I project onto others the same strong desire to be alone that I have? I don't know.

I have such a strong desire to be not a bother to people that I rarely put myself out there, and rarely ask for help or to hang out.

I am also a terrible conversationalist one-on-one. I am practically unable to carry a conversation, and function better as a 3rd wheel or 5th wheel in a group, where I can interject witty/annoying quips and not be expected to talk deeply or competently on a subject. Eventually everyone grows tired of my antics and lack of depth and conviction, and another friend is alienated.

I am a pretty miserable cretin, rather uninteresting, and lack the strength of will to do anything about it other than bemoan about it silently in my head.

How do you lose friends and alienate people? (or maybe you don't?)
I think the only way I've made enemies (so to speak) is through moderating or youtube comments. XD

orz

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Well first I open the database... Oh wait.

I dunno. Be super helpful for a long time and then reel it back. That's a guaranteed way to lose people's respect. You could also blow a gasket like Kramer.

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I'm not sure if this thread is a joke or not
I've discovered that a good way to lose friends is to imply that their mother is a llama. Alpacas and guanacos REALLY hate that. Leaving rotten turnips in someone's sock drawer is also a sure-fire way to unfriend them.

Though if we're being serious, I am literally the same as kentona. Except not Canadian.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Making enemies is very easy. All you really have to do is open your mouth. It doesn't matter what comes out of it, somebody's not going to like it, and is going to be too stupid to forget it.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=AlphaOmega247
I've discovered that a good way to lose friends is to imply that their mother is a llama. Alpacas and guanacos REALLY hate that.

So Vicuña's are more forgiving?
Indeed, the vicuña is a far more understanding creature. (Actually, I'd never even heard of them until just now.)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Writing game reviews.
nhubi
author=AlphaOmega247
Indeed, the vicuña is a far more understanding creature. (Actually, I'd never even heard of them until just now.)

Well, that's it, my job is done for today.

author=Solitayre
Writing game reviews.

Amen.
Not doing anything at all to maintain a relationship is sure to make that connection weaker. Just talk to them every once in a while. Talk about the weather, how your pillow is not fluffed up, how Jim puked on the floor again; anything. Just get a conversation going, and show them that you haven't forgotten about them yet.

This advice is brought to you by a random dude who lost several close friends because they transferred to different schools/countries, and who did not make any effort whatsoever to maintain contact.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
A punch to the face has been the time tested method for the past 10,000 years.
nhubi
author=Isrieri

..and before that it was clubbing them with a bone to the back of the head and laughing their little Homo floresiensian arse off.

Still think that one would work, too.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Isrieri

Actually, I discovered that this method just as easily makes friends. When I was in the first grade, I had a bully and my grandmother suggested punching him. We ended up friends for as long as we knew each other. "Saturday night's alright for a fight." --Elton John
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I have become very adept at making enemies, mostly by trying to "win" every conversation.

Unlike Kentona, though, it doesn't bother me at all. I would rather have an argument than an agreement. Conversations where people agree are typically useless and devoid of information. So I don't spend a lot of time talking to people who don't dislike me and the things I'm saying, unless we're good at different things and one of us is seeking advice from the other.

I also hate being around other people. It drains my MP very fast. I can handle approximately one social interaction per day, and I get more than that at work. The last time I had energy for anything more than leaving a message on a forum was... probably about three years ago.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You don't need to make enemies, they just come out of nowhere. I mean a majority of enemies in games just randomly appear. And bosses just want to destroy the world for no reason. So in some cases you don't need to do much to make an enemy.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I don't make enemies...I make nemeses.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
The reason I thought this thread was a joke because kentona's post described me to a T.

Naturally, I've been thinking about this for quite a while and I think the issue is down to low self-esteem coupled with a lack of conviction. It helps to feel strongly about...things, and I don't think people like you and I, kentona, are all that bothered about much. It's easier to get noticed once you raise hell about stuff - friends and enemies both will probably come to you then.

Basically we need to be Max McGees
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
You open the database and click the "Enemies" tab.
author=nhubi
Well, that's it, my job is done for today.
You might have thwarted me once, but I assure you, it will not happen again. (Until the next time it happens).
Pages: first 12 next last