FAVOURITE CLASSICAL FF TRACKS?

Pages: first prev 123 last
No mention of X-2's music yet?
It doesn't have as many great tracks as some other titles, but a few are definitely worthy:

Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves
Besaid
Mt. Gagazet
I'll Give You Something Hot
Yuna's Ballad
FFX-2's got one of my favorite "dungeon" tracks in the series, period.

^ Seconded. I do have fond memories of a Lvl 80+ Y.R.P slaughtering everything in their wake when that track plays. And I do love Eternity: Memories of Lightwaves as well.
Can't believe I missed this thread until now. A couple of my favourites:

A lot of the old classic Square and Enix games had outstanding music, so it's near impossible to find favorites. But Terra's Theme stands out amongst them all, especially the remixes you find.
mine would be in no particular order
FFI:
1.Underwater Temple
2.Matoya's Cave
3.Gurgu Volcano

FF2:
1.Rebel Army Theme
2.Pandemonium Castle
3.Last Battle Theme

FF3:
1.The Crystal Tower
2.Main Battle Theme
3.Let Me Know the Truth

FF4:
1.Kingdom of Baron
2.Battle With the Four Fiends
3.Mystic Mysidia

FF5:
1.Pirates Ahoy
2.Clash On the Big Bridge
3.Home, Sweet Home

FF6:
1.Kefka
2.The Decisive Battle
3.Terra's Theme
Might as well list my 3 favourites from the Balance/Ruin album so far:

1) Terra's Resolve
2) The Impresario ( brilliant, reminds me of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody )
3) Castles in the Sand
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I'll write a full list later, but:

II:
3: Battle Scene 2
2: Overworld
1: Game Over

VI:
3: Dancing Mad
2: Forever Rachel
1: Searching for Friends

These tunes make Final Fantasy for me. Nornally when my party dies I either don't care or feel angry, but FF2 is the only game where I feel sad. Combinne that with the fact that the game over theme plays when major characters die, which happens a lot in ff2, and it still makes you sad every time you hear it, and we have ourselves a winner.
Why does everyone like Terra's theme so much? I thought it was kinda meh compared to Searching for Friends. The feeling of hope you have the first time Searching for Friends kicks in is so strong that nostalgia even now brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.
Guess we just love our overworld themes. But Terra's Theme is still nothing on the 1st Golden Sun's overworld track. That is epic. XD
I may as well list my favourites for the other four classic FF games, since a lot of other people seem to be going that way:

FF7 (This is a top ten, cause it's my favourite soundtrack in the series):

10. If You Open Your Heart
9. The Great North Cave
8. Highwind Takes to the Skies
7. Reunion
6. Interrupted by Fireworks
5. You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet
4. Underneath the Rotting Pizza
3. Prelude
2. Chasing the Black-Caped Man
1. Anxious Heart*

FF8:

3. Only a Plank Between One and Perdition
2. Julia
1. Overture

FF9:

3. Gurugu Volcano
2. Game Over
1. Freya's Theme

FF10:

3. The Advancers
2. Seymour's Ambition
1. Sprouting

*This is my favourite track in the entire series, and honestly it's probably one of my favourite video game themes of all time, maybe even my number 1. A lot of the haunting tunes in FF7 remind me of when I started designing RPGs as a kid, but nothing takes me back to those days like Anxious Heart. I feel like I'm gonna tear up every time I hear it, cause it so perfectly reminds me of why I love video games and why I want to make them.
author=Jeroen_Sol
Why does everyone like Terra's theme so much? I thought it was kinda meh compared to Searching for Friends.
I will note that the in-game version of Terra's Theme doesn't do much of anything for me, but the orchestrations (like Grande Finale and the Dear Friends concert) are great.

In the spirit of participation, here are my top favourites - but I can only speak for VI onwards... It was impossible to avoid being inspired by these for my own game.

VI
"Death on the Snowfield"
It's a remix/rework of Terra's theme. Mucho melancholy.

VII
"Can you hear the cry of the planet?"
Not necessarily the best musically, but in terms of atmosphere this is my favourite from any FF game I've played.

VIII

"Find Your Way"
In a similar vein to the above, there were a lot of fantastic pieces in VIII but this one lends itself well to my tastes for the mysterious and melancholy.

Pages: first prev 123 last