I'M JUST SPEECHLESS...

Pages: 1
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Time magazine has compared witches to terrorists.

Well, I guess I know where I stand in this country.
Part of me is honestly surprised it's not an Onion page cleverly disguised as Time Magazine.
Uh... I guess I did something stupid by actually reading the article but it seems like it is saying that the popularity of portraying witches is some kind of combination with the new-found interest in the supernatural and terrorist paranoia. It makes for nice allegories and storytelling. The neighbours could be terrorists/witches/communists, we need to keep an eye on them.

Which makes sense since all fiction is a reflection of the now anyway. So that's as good a take as any.
pianotm
Yes, Shinan, but it still says what it says, and if an academic is comparing witches to terrorists, then we're not as far from the Inquisition or Salem as we should be in the 21st century.
...As it relates to pop culture. The article even compares different portrayals of witches and what things they represent. And the terrorist comparison is the one where they compare the horrors of the Salem witch trials with the overzealousness that terrorists are being pursued.

I mean they are not comparing ACTUAL witches to anyone. They are only comparing fictional portrayals of witches in popular media and speculating what they represent.
pianotm
Umm...Shinan, that's not actually what it said...

author=http://time.com/3532279/witches-halloween-salem/
So what’s behind today’s renewed obsession with witches? Baker, a history professor at Salem State University, argues that it could have its roots in the post-9/11 panic over terrorism and what could be seen as a Salem-like erosion of civil rights in the name of security — or, more recently, in the revelations that the National Security Agency seems to be spying on ordinary citizens as stealthily as neighbors spied on neighbors in colonial Salem.

Witches, like terrorists, “threaten to wipe out everything you believe in. If they could, they would overthrow your government, overturn your faith, and destroy your society,” Baker writes.

This may be in comparison to Salem, but the comment clearly shows that this is still what witches are. Tie this in with the fact that the U. S. government now officially lists anyone who claims a religious affiliation (the big three included, with a strong de-emphasis on Islam) as a potential terrorist threat, and it's a reminder that the only reason we don't have a state religion is because our Supreme Court, despite Congress' best efforts, still pays the First Amendment lip service.
To me that seems to be exactly what it says. The first part:
Baker, a history professor at Salem State University, argues that it could have its roots in the post-9/11 panic over terrorism and what could be seen as a Salem-like erosion of civil rights in the name of security — or, more recently, in the revelations that the National Security Agency seems to be spying on ordinary citizens as stealthily as neighbors spied on neighbors in colonial Salem.

is all about the paranoia that has followed all of this terrorism stuff. It might be I am missing something due to English not being my first language or poor reading comprehension skills on the whole but to me this seems pretty clear-cut to be what I was talking about.

The second part
Witches, like terrorists, “threaten to wipe out everything you believe in. If they could, they would overthrow your government, overturn your faith, and destroy your society,” Baker writes.

also seems true to me. It's obvious that the man is referring to the witches as a construct of the Christian church and the traidional view on witches. being god-hating, devilworshipping badasses that can curse people into oblivion and generally cause havoc.

He is not referring to neo-pagan wiccan hippies who light candles once in a while and talk about animal spirits and dress wierdly and shit. (which is explicitly stated later in the article when it says "witches, unlike terrorists, are not real")

And he is not saying this as it would be his personal belief. He says it as this is the classical take on a witch. This is what a witch is.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I feel like 'terrorist' is going to eventually lose its power like 'nazi' did...

How long until we call people 'grammar terrorists'?
Going in, I thought the article would touch upon the idea that people still choose to live in a state of mass-hysterical fear of 'the other', marginalizing innocent women or non-whites by marking them as witches or terrorists respectively.

But this article seemed a little rambling, uninformed and confused.
pianotm
I suppose it's how you look at it. Sadly, it seems all to easy to apply concepts like this to real people, and if you think it can't, perhaps a conversation with Abigail Williams is in order. It's easy to vilify her. Interrogators at the time conducted methods akin to torture to get information out of potential witches, and then when she starts accusing other people, all history can say is, "Oh, that horrible girl."

And nurvuss is right: this article is highly uninformed. One error I will point out is that the Salem witch trials led to 25 (not 19) deaths only if you count the trials in Salem. 19 of which were hangings: one was pressed to death, and five died in prison. Over 120 people were ultimately executed in the witch scare before the Massachusetts government stepped in and said, "Enough is enough."
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'm with Shinan, it does seem to be about witch hunt, but probably poorly worded or dumbed down for the audience appreciation.
What a stupid article idea, though. Witches are popular because tween shows have a different role for female characters than victim or bad ass vampire chick... I don't think it has anything to do with social events. The rising popularity in mystic/magic creatures is a reoccurring phenomenon that bubbles to the surface time and again, without really going away. Right now, after Harry Potter and Twilight raving successes; of course the media potato heads will be churning out tween twilight-alike fictions.
Time magazine, why you is so silly?
author=Dudesoft
Time magazine, why you is so silly?

Well the article is just a Halloween-related fluff piece that does a quick overview of witches in pop culture.

The fact that someone would get hung up on someone calling an evil fictional creature an allegory for terrorists probably never even entered the mind of the person who wrote it.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
witches get numerous debuffs, but terrorists only get self-destruct spell,. imba/??
pianotm
Fine, I'm sorry I ever brought it up.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=TehGuy
I feel like 'terrorist' is going to eventually lose its power like 'nazi' did...

This didn't already happen?

Terrorists are like pirates, vikings or mobsters. Over-the-top theme villains that are hard to take seriously. I'm surprised we don't have a baseball team named after them, and a Disney movie about a young girl inventor who wants to be a terrorist even though everyone says she can't.
pianotm
author=LockeZ
author=TehGuy

This didn't already happen?

Terrorists are like pirates, vikings or mobsters. Over-the-top theme villains that are hard to take seriously. I'm surprised we don't have a baseball team named after them, and a Disney movie about a young girl inventor who wants to be a terrorist even though everyone says she can't.

No, you can still legally be jailed in the U. S. without charges under suspicion of terrorism. As long as that condition exists, that word will never lose it's power and the potential for abusing that law will continue to exist.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, you can legally be jailed under suspicion of piracy and gang actitity also. Pillaging is still illegal too. That doesn't mean the word can't also be used whimsically.

"Terrorist" hasn't yet really lost its power to the degree that "communist" has, but it's certainly not something people really take as seriously as they did ten years ago. It's close. Give it another ten years before they're nothing more than cartoon villains, and the actual terrorists have to rebrand themselves to be taken seriously.
pianotm
Yeah...except if you're suspected of being a terrorist, they don't have to let you go...ever. Evidence not necessary. Well, technically, at the moment, they can do that to anyone for any reason due to the fact that Habeas Corpus is suspended.
Pages: 1