LOVE

Pages: first 1234 next last
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Just kidding, this topic is about HATRED.

Content Warnings: NSFW, NSFS (Not Safe For Sociopaths)
Trigger Warning: Mass Shootings.

Any thoughts on this tasteful pile of tastefulness?

Obviously, I find it to be...gross. At best. And I think that's generous. I would also fight probably very literally to the death to keep it from being directly or indirectly censored. because you know, free speech. (I just found out that that quote was misattributed to Voltaire but actually was a summary of Voltaire's position by Evelyn Beatrice Hall...so that's interesting!)

The other thing I think is interesting about it is its unquestionable artistic value...in spite of being, apparently, an intentional backlash against "games as art".
That made me kind of sad watching. I'd play it though because... er, it looks fun?

It doesn't look like it's against games as art?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
It's kind of sad when you think about the amount of effort these people put into making such a fucked up game. Seriously though not one of the devs was like "too much? No... Ok"

They could retool this game into something better, they're talented enough from what's been shown. I just don't understand it. Hey mass shootings are popular, let's make a game about them!

Reminds me of that guy who made an Rm2k game about the Columbine Massacre.
from what I have seen this game was created by some quirky extremists, nazis, socio-communists or whatever because I don't know those expressions at all. but anyway, created by weally sick people. and they mean it. ;w;
thaaaaat's what I heard anyway, but judging by the trailer it doesn't seem too far off
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
This is, like, middle school emo levels of 3edgy5me. Can we be certain this isn't some level of elaborate satire? Because that's what I want to believe, here.
This game looks cool. Nothing wrong with making a POSTAL homage which unlike POSTAL, is playable. Assuming this winds up being.
with the world population nearing 8 billion and rising it'd be bound to happen, ne
there are stupid ppl everywhere i guess
LouisCyphre
I'd sooner deal with overpopulation by colonizing space, but to each their own I suppose.
nononono that's not what i meant, i meant that with 8 billion people, the chance of one of them having a shitty idea is bigger LOL
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
During the intro of that trailer I was like:

>_>

...And by the end I was like:

D:

There is no way I'd be caught dead playing this, but I'm sure someone would find it enjoyable. I mean, gameplay-wise it looks competent (more like every 1st/3rd person shooter ever made).
Max McGee
author=Gourd_Clae
It doesn't look like it's against games as art?

I didn't think so either, but this is from it's wikipedia page.

The developer described Hatred as a reaction to a trend of political correctness in video games, and sought to make a game that eschewed politeness, colorfulness, and games as art. In this way, they also sought to make a game that recalled the industry's history as " a rebellious medium" and surface-level entertainment with no insertion of "any fake philosophy".

author=Tau
Reminds me of that guy who made an Rm2k game about the Columbine Massacre.

You mean the most widely publicly known RPG Maker game of all time?

author=JosephSeraph
from what I have seen this game was created by some quirky extremists, nazis, socio-communists or whatever because I don't know those expressions at all. but anyway, created by weally sick people. and they mean it. ;w;
thaaaaat's what I heard anyway, but judging by the trailer it doesn't seem too far off

Can you provide evidence that the creators were commie-nazis or whatever? Because short of some outside information, that doesn't seem like a reasonable conclusion from the fact that they made a game in extremely poor taste. So yeah...where'd you hear this?

author=LouisCyphre
This is, like, middle school emo levels of 3edgy5me. Can we be certain this isn't some level of elaborate satire? Because that's what I want to believe, here.

It's obviously operating at like...substantially TRYHARD levels of "grimdark edginess", but I do think there's more to it, and not in the sense of satire, either.

The way I think of it is...a LOT of people play sandbox games like GTA, Saint's Row, et al essentially like this and really enjoy it, especially between missions to blow off steam. Or when you're just goofing off with friends in the room. But those games are very consciously "about" other things. They just happen to let you massacre hordes of innocent people. This game, though, is very self-consciously about letting you massacre hordes of innocent people. And I find that...fascinating.

(The POSTAL comparison is obvious but I actually don't know much about POSTAL 1, in my mind it was eclipsed by Postal 2 and its almost South Parkesque sick sense of humor. If there's...humor...intended here, it's a lot less obvious.)

Anyway, probably the most baffling critique I've seen leveled against this game-which people are ferociously campaigning to have stopped before it's even completed-is that it's somehow racist and/or sexist. Which seems nonsensical to me. Killy McTrenchcoat doesn't seem at all picky in that respect. He's an equal opportunity destroyer.
LouisCyphre
The effort they went through to make the targets plead or cry is what's concerning here. Other sandboxes offer herds of dull, lifeless lemmings that pill up in the grill of your car with ridiculous, comical ragdoll physics.

Each of the victims depicted in this video plead for their lives as if they have one to live, including a couple of that mention relatives or other relations. That's where the reactions of revulsion are stemming from.
Max McGee
Yeah that is really, really, really disturbing...but also fascinating.

And is the kind of thing--particularly that they put effort into it and obviously thought about it a lot--that makes it undeniably art, even if it was made by people who fucking hate the idea of games as art. Because what I've always found to be the most important part of the most useful definition of art I've seen reasonable people be able to agree upon is that art makes you feel something.

And sometimes art isn't nice.

Other sandboxes offer herds of dull, lifeless lemmings that pill up in the grill of your car with ridiculous, comical ragdoll physics.

This is more true of Saints Row then the GTA games...people in the GTA games do definitely "react" to a massacre in quasi-realistic ways, but because the GTA games are set in a satirical version of America where everyone is the biggest, most egregious, most-deserving-to-be-shot-in-the-face asshole possible, their reactions are usually more comedic then...yeah...horrifying, as seen here.

/quibble
I know that I wouldn't go out and kill people if I played this, but I am scared someone might play it and go, "actually I could do this and it might be fun". You never know what can trigger someone off.

I'm not one for video games promoting violence, but I think that you still need to be a little bit careful.
The way I think of it is...a LOT of people play sandbox games like GTA, Saint's Row, et al essentially like this and really enjoy it, especially between missions to blow off steam. Or when you're just goofing off with friends in the room. But those games are very consciously "about" other things. They just happen to let you massacre hordes of innocent people. This game, though, is very self-consciously about letting you massacre hordes of innocent people. And I find that...fascinating.

I think that games like these, while they're usually rejected by most people out there, are a necessity in the game design world. It's interesting to see a game which takes some seriously sick subject matter and doesn't try to push a crazy message down your throat with it. Basically it's just intriguing to see that a fucked concept can just be made into a video-gamey video game with no real purpose involved.
author=LouisCyphre
The effort they went through to make the targets plead or cry is what's concerning here. Other sandboxes offer herds of dull, lifeless lemmings that pill up in the grill of your car with ridiculous, comical ragdoll physics.

Each of the victims depicted in this video plead for their lives as if they have one to live, including a couple of that mention relatives or other relations. That's where the reactions of revulsion are stemming from.
I dunno, it shouldn't feel any better to kill all those people in GTA just because they don't ask you not to.

The funny thing about this not being an art game is it make you feel something. "This is wrong. Killing is wrong." I think that's worth something.
Max McGee
This game has caused the Social Justice Left to actually and literally valorize hypocrisy, so there's that, I guess. (Of course, context is everything. Still a very fascinating and relevant read.)
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I have literally never had a double-take at a video game until now.

This is just... too fuckin' real.

Also, it will be blamed for 100% of mass shootings that take place from its launch until the end of time.
Max McGee
It really is the hypothetical videogame that Jack Thompson thought he was talking about back 10 years ago during his ignorant ranting when it didn't even fucking exist.

History, in its absurdity, has come full circle.
It's like Postal without the humor. Looks pretty mediocre, might be fun to play through once though.

I do appreciate the sentiment even though the game looks like nothing special. It's like a middle finger to the face of certain kind of people. Anything that rustles so many jimmies is at least worth taking a look at.
Pages: first 1234 next last