WHAT IS THE BIGGEST RM GAME?

Pages: first 12 next last
What are the biggest RM games in terms of length and content? How many have had the patience and resilience to craft a true RPG Maker epic?

I never finished them, but I remember the Laxius Power games are supposed to be absurdly long, like over a hundred hours.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Everlong. The name says it all.

I think nowadays, not many will have the time and patience to craft a 50+ hour RPG Maker epic. In any case, examples of 50+ hour RPG Maker RPGs include Exit Fate, Last Scenario, Seraphic Blue and as nhubi said, Everlong.

And hmm, Laxius Power being a hundred hours long is really an overstatement. In terms of main quest alone (not counting side quests), probably about 30-40 hours of gameplay for Laxius Power III alone?
One day I'll craft my 50+ hour epic. But yes, those kind of RM games are quite rare nowadays, especially when 8-10 hours is already considered a 'decent length' RM game.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
final tear 3
author=Mobh
How many have had the patience and resilience to craft a true RPG Maker epic?

I did. I almost binned the game several times over and would go ages without touching it, but I defied all odds and did eventually finish it. Average play time from people on RMN seems to be between 30 and 60 hours, so not too bad.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I haven't played it myself (yet) but A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky boasts over 50 hours of gameplay. And it's very good. Again, that's what I hear.

But honestly, I never understood why length is such a big deal. I mean, if your game isn't good, why would I WANT to play for 50+ hours? Personally, I would leave games longer than 15 hours to professional developers. Plus, if the game is not commercial in any way, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I suppose it looks really good on your resume, but I would rather have played 50 different games that last 1 hour than 1 game that lasts 50 hours. Hell, even breaking up that 50 hour game time to smaller, episodic games would be a better strategy! Some of my favorite games on this site are less than 5 hours in length.

But that's not the point of this topic. This turned into more of a rant than I intended. Never mind me...

EDIT:

I don't mean to imply that long games are inherently bad. Far from it! But most of us on RMN aren't professionals. We just like to make games. Personally, I would only make a 50+ hour long game if it was getting some form of compensation, like if it was going on Steam or something.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

At best I think I have got my games to last 10 hours, but that was counting on people doing the side quests. It's hard to keep the steam rolling to keep the story, battles, and anything else interesting after a long play through.

And after everything is said and done my best games are the ones that take under an hour to complete.

author=Red_Nova
But most of us on RMN aren't professionals. We just like to make games.

That's the thing. There are people who are crazy enough to make 50+ hour epics. That's how devoted they are to making games and how much they love making games, even though they don't earn anything from it.

And I am thankful for that ^^
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=eplipswich
That's the thing. There are people who are crazy enough to make 50+ hour epics. That's how devoted they are to making games, even though they don't earn anything from it.

And I am thankful for that ^^

Well, I can't argue with that. I'm amazed that they're able to complete a 50+ hour long project. That alone does deserve a lot of praise!

But it's really sad when I see people announce their magnum opus with 15 different characters, 50+ hour main storyline, 100% custom assets, and HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF SIDE QUESTS just to have reality crash down on them once they realize just how much work they have to do. They get discouraged, and decide that game making just isn't for them. If they just started small and made simple games, they can get that sort of experience to eventually tackle large projects!
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Red_Nova
I haven't played it myself (yet) but A Very Long Rope to the Top of the Sky boasts over 50 hours of gameplay. And it's very good. Again, that's what I hear.

But honestly, I never understood why length is such a big deal. I mean, if your game isn't good, why would I WANT to play for 50+ hours? Personally, I would leave games longer than 15 hours to professional developers. Plus, if the game is not commercial in any way, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I suppose it looks really good on your resume, but I would rather have played 50 different games that last 1 hour than 1 game that lasts 50 hours. Hell, even breaking up that 50 hour game time to smaller, episodic games would be a better strategy! Some of my favorite games on this site are less than 5 hours in length.

But that's not the point of this topic. This turned into more of a rant than I intended. Never mind me...

EDIT:

I don't mean to imply that long games are inherently bad. Far from it! But most of us on RMN aren't professionals. We just like to make games. Personally, I would only make a 50+ hour long game if it was getting some form of compensation, like if it was going on Steam or something.

The prologue of Final Tear 3 is twice as long as that.
I'd rather play a short 10 hour gem as opposed to a shoddy '50 hour epic' when more than half of those hours are nothing but filler. Quality over quantity. But I really do want to make a fifty-hour sci-fi opera epic one day.

To be honest, when I saw the title, I though it was about the game's size and not about the length. iirc, the Logomancer is over 400mb in size ( and prompted mellytan's famous tag line ).
Yeah, I don't have the patience to play 50+ hour RM games either. I just think it's fascinating some people are determined enough to create games that rival professional RPGs in scope. You have to be a little crazy to achieve that.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I just make my game until it's done.
author=Puddor
final tear 3

This was the first thing that came to mind haha Only because you didn't specify "good quality" as one of the criteria.
From what I hear, it's not the length but the girth of your gameplay that matters.
Final Tear 3 boasts a longer game time than A Very Long Rope, but uhh, I tried playing Final Tear 3 and, well, it was too...interesting...for me to get more than five or so hours in, so I wasn't able to confirm, but it definitely SEEMED like it was going to last for an eternity.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
We got more than 80 hours into it and still only completed the first major area of what's apparently three or four. I don't recommend the game but I would be surprised if there's any other game on this site that can rival its scope.
author=Sailerius
We got more than 80 hours into it and still only completed the first major area of what's apparently three or four. I don't recommend the game but I would be surprised if there's any other game on this site that can rival its scope.

We?

I'm imagining a club of RMN members playing the game together now, seeing who can last the longest.

Has anyone finished playing it? =O
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=accha
author=Sailerius
We?

I'm imagining a club of RMN members playing the game together now, seeing who can last the longest.

Has anyone finished playing it? =O

My dormmates and I played it collectively a few years ago to try to get through it together to see the much-lauded ending. We got to the "amazing" plot twist after fighting a boss for two hours when we had our stats hacked to level 99 with maximum everything, learned we were just finishing the prologue, and gave up.
Pages: first 12 next last