HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ONLY ONE GENDER AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS

I play a lot of Touhou. As some of you may know, almost all the characters in Touhou are girls. It made me curious, how does everyone feel about only girls as playable character (or only boys).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I will just say that, if at all possible, when playing a game that lets me choose my party, I'm going to make a team entirely out of female characters in poofy outfits with skirts and silly hats. Sometimes even to the point of, like, not using gameplay options that are significantly superior. Though that depends on how hard the game is.

Obviously the solution is to give players an option when they start the game whether they want to make the cast all-male, all-female, or balanced.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I don't think most sane players care. The worst that you can do is make a boring cast of hulking space marine cookie-cutters or a similarly dull party, but that can happen inside either gender.

As long as your characters different in more than their weapon, color, and One Personality Trait, you should be fine.
The only time I get weirded out is when everyone's female BUT the main character (or vice versa I guess). So basically harems.
Not that it matters for me. I just care about originality, uniqueness and variety.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=LouisCyphre
As long as your characters different in more than their weapon, color, and One Personality Trait, you should be fine.

I mean, if they're not, you might still be fine, as long as you're not trying to make a character-driven plot. Sometimes having a bunch of similar characters helps create an aesthetic for your world and your story. And delivering that aesthetic as strongly as possible might be way more important to you than making the player care about the individual characters.

Most games that go this route are not what you'd call story-based games, and often have zero dialogue. Having a bunch of samey characters is common in TV shows too, though such shows rarely last more than one season, by the end of which they've successfully delivered their aesthetic and have nothing left to do. That doesn't make them bad shows though. It makes them shallow, but if the idea behind them is enticing, they can still be fun to watch for a while. Games of this type meanwhile might be able to go on for quite a while or even have sequels, if they can keep delivering new gameplay.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Neok
The only time I get weirded out is when everyone's female BUT the main character (or vice versa I guess). So basically harems.

Unfortunately, after Galuf dies in FFV, this is what becomes of the rest of the game. I never really thought about it until my current playthrough, but it does kind of throw off the party dynamic and makes every visit to the inn just a little more 'off'.

Then again, while I would like more female main heroes with my games, realistically it depends on the story (don't let this become, however, a cop-out to making a thousand more "man" stories). If it's written to a T that this story requires a male protagonist, that's just the way it's going to be. If, however, you've got more than three playable characters (all of which being the same gender with no air-tight script to justify it), you should probably consider mixing it up a little.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Personal preference, the first question I would ask is: how much sense does it make in the setting? The second question I would ask is: how familiar is that setting to me?

Just as a for instance, a realistic and mature historical/fantasy game with an all-male cast is an easier sell for me--because the middle ages were, in actual fact, amazingly sexist--than a game with an arbitrary all female cast because 'arbitrary justification in completely made up setting'. Although an arbitrary justification is better than none!

That said, honestly the issue isn't one I've thought about a lot, and I don't think it's one that would bother me very much no matter what mix of character genders you choose to go for. With the exception of anything that feels blatantly exploitative--that I may or may not be in the mood for.
janussenpre
愛・おぼえていますか
In both art and in games, I always prefer all female rosters.
iirc, Riviera: The Promised Land had an all-female party except for the main character ( since Ledah was only a temp member. But eh, he looked like a girl ). XD
Doesn't matter too much to me, each type has its merits.

Being a guy, having a bunch of male friendship bonding moments can be fun if I'm in the mood. This is probably what I'm least in the mood for generally, but I've had fun with all male casts before for the reason I just stated.

Balance is what I usually have the most fun with, since you're usually getting a more diverse characterization per team. Whenever I play games that let me create my own teams such as Etrian Odyssey, I always split the amount of genders down the middle.

All female cast has started to become a trend I've seen a lot of lately in indie circles, and it can be fun if done right. Kicking ass from the other side of the spectrum is interesting so long as these females I play as are actual characters.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Having attempted to make a game in the "magical girl" genre (not to mention a game where the only playable character is female), I would probably support an all-female cast over an all-male cast. That's not to say that I wouldn't support a game with an all-male cast.
I don't think there's any sort of male-to-female proportion that people should try to fulfill in their works, or that there's some 'ideal' ratio. I will say, though, that male and female characters often occupy shockingly different niches in the perception of a writer and their audience, and these aspects can be pretty interesting to consider.

the basic crux of it is that, as I'm sure all of you have observed at some point, a white male character is considered to be 'at home' with any kind of setting -- he's the default, from the popular view, and so nobody questions why he's there. female characters, or racial minorities, or even people with a different sexual preferences, though? you pretty much always get people expecting them to justify their presence in the narrative to a degree that the John Bioshocks of the medium don't have to. see: 'there weren't female warriors in the old days!' or 'black people weren't around in Europe!' and so on -- endless unsourced, uncited assumptions that the speaker thinks of as common sense because they've rarely been questioned.

so for this reason, I contextualize all-male and all-female casts differently from one another. as male characters enjoy 'default' status, you'll often see people throw together predominantly-male casts without even realizing that's what they're doing!

that said, though, there really isn't a 'correct' gender ratio, and the proportion of male to female characters alone doesn't say much at all about the quality of those characters -- take three steps and you'll be buried in works that only put together a predominantly-female cast for the sake of titillating a male audience. representation and subtext are things you can't predict from a demographic rundown of a cast's lineup.

I will say that a game with a high proportion of well thought out female characters holds more interest for me than one stuffed with well thought out dudes, though, simply because you don't see that nearly as often. it's something we could use more examples of in game storytelling.
Thanks your you're input guys. Its funny that you say that most people expect white guys as the main characters, cause in like EVERY create-a-character, I always seem to create a Japanese dude since that's what I usually see. Its not because the games I play are racist, it because Japan doesn't have as much people of different races like America.
yeah, sadly if you create a lead who is not a middle aged, white, straight male with short brown hair, then suddenly you are making a "statement" about something.

E:
if you are a producer or publisher of a multimillion dollar production with a wide target audience, the last thing you want is to make a "controversial statement". Just look at Hollywood movies if you need a longer history and more examples of that kind of thinking. For women or people of different race who are not named Will Smith, the pickings are slim for big blockbuster leads.

...unless your movie is about making that kind of statement, I guess.
yeah, there's a pretty big gulf between what most AAAs think of as a marketable character and what a lot of people will choose to do with enough customization. a game with a fixed protagonist can't suit everyone's tastes at once, of course, but it's getting more and more evident that making the main cast mainly white guys for demographic reasons is misguided.

given enough character customization, a lot of the time I make a warrior-grandma. partly to see if I can, but also because it's kind of a fun character design prompt. hag knights!

and yeah, kentona, the fact that people consider selling a lead who isn't the typical hollywood stubbleman such a risk is a very annoying part of it. so much is invested in these works that people are terrified of anything that might diminish returns, and so a whole lot of pseudoscientific weirdness gets drummed up in defense of the status quo. I think the lack of that interference is a serious freedom for indies, and I'm happy to see people embracing it.

e: it's probably worth noting that games with Japanese protagonists, when brought to Western markets, are often thought of as being white by Western players. when I talk about demographics, I'm mainly talking about games made in the West, because I'm not immune to this ignorance myself and it'd be silly of me to pretend I know much about racial dynamics in Japanese media.
LockeZ
author=kentona
yeah, sadly if you create a lead who is not a middle aged, white, straight male with short brown hair, then suddenly you are making a "statement" about something.
Silly kentona, we are making RPGs, not shooters. He has to be 15 years old.
author=Corfaisus
Unfortunately, after Galuf dies in FFV, this is what becomes of the rest of the game. I never really thought about it until my current playthrough, but it does kind of throw off the party dynamic and makes every visit to the inn just a little more 'off'.

author=yuna21
iirc, Riviera: The Promised Land had an all-female party except for the main character ( since Ledah was only a temp member. But eh, he looked like a girl ). XD

It happens ridiculously often! So much so that I just put up with it if the game/anime's otherwise good, but damn if it doesn't nag at the back of my head at times.
At least in FFV it was for plot reasons.
The only acceptable amount of bromance is 100%. I thought we all knew that.