2014 "OFFICIAL" MISAO PREDICTIONS/DISCUSSION THREAD

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
I though you couldn't be in the running if you'd already won one, and Pom did last year, so even if you made an amended game you wouldn't have a chance to double dip?
If it did every game on the site could be eligible every year by the dev just making a slight tweak and re-upping it. I think it has to be a significant change in order to be re-eligible, like say Enelysion which has added, what another 7 hours of play and completed the story.

Then again I'm not sure what the criteria is for eligibility, I know you can be nominated for a demo one year and be eligible for all the remaining categories in another year, but that's just a natural progression. I'm unsure about the process for an amended game, and where the line is for a substantial amendment, which I imagine should be a requirement.
I think RMN just trusts the community to use the honour system with that judgement. Besides, I doubt that, even if they could, people would vote Pom in this year...

OK, maybe they'd vote Pom in this year. But I don't think Me-Patra is going to touch Pom again. I get the feeling she doesn't like the flak she received for making it.
nhubi
Which is a good benchmark to use, but I think I remember that Enelysion couldn't be nominated after the amendment, as in the nominate button was greyed out because the original game was released in 2013. I think Yuna had to request it, so it'd be a final call by the admins in those situations, which is a good thing.

Though, yeah, I don't think Me-Patra will touch Pom again ether, it's complete as it is, regardless of negative or positive feedback.
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm glad to see Soul Sunder getting some love, as it's my pick for several categories including Story.

I can't wait to see how all of this turns out :D
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
This has made me look at my nominations for the year. I know I placed a few during this year's Game Chill, and most of those votes have gone unchanged. That I don't care to change the vast majority of them might speak about how often I actually play games, as opposed to making them.

Saying that, I'm totally okay with slating Remnants of Isolation as my nomination for game of the year. I'm not sure if I can nominate Wyrm Warriors, as I'm a contributor to it, but, I could see me giving Luxaren Allure my nomination for best demo of the year.
Yeah, I’m still fiddling around with some of my final picks before the end of the year, but so far I got:

Best Storytelling And Direction:
Dreaming Mary

Best Characters:
Enelysion

Best Setting:
Tirawrmisu

Best Atmosphere:
It Moves

Best Graphics & Artwork:
Little Briar Rose

Best Sound & Music:
Sacred Earth: Promise

Most Technical Prowess:
In Arcem Miseria

Best Level/Dungeon/Puzzle Design:
Oneshot

Best Gameplay Mechanics:
Alex Gets Oppai

Best Interface Design:
Super Smash Bros. Crusade

Most Promising Demo:
Final Fantasy Blackmoon Prophecy II

Best Non-RPG:
Dreaming Mary

Game Of The Year:
Enelysion

…Of course, almost 90% of what I’ve picked thus far probably won’t win anything in the end. That’s what you get when you have a different set of opinion.

Oh, and, BTW, you can add some of these other, fine choices to the list:

Complete

Demos

And I wouldn't be surprised if Pocket Mirror managed to pick up a shitload of Misaos this year despite it only having one 5 minute demo build and being mainly backed by its hundreds, and hundreds of supporters. I mean, if that happens, where it manages to win everything here - come on!!!

I hope that doesn't happen. I mean, yeah, sure, it has potential if it ever manages to clean up some of its problems, but, in its current state, you gotta be kiddin' me.

- This is gonna be interesting!!!
So that explains why all those games end up getting a crapton of subscribers and playlists, yet the games generate zero discussion. Oh well. We can't stand up to the might of the Tumblrverse.

Guess the 0 MS and no avatars confirm it.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=yuna21
Oh well. We can't stand up to the might of the Tumblrverse.

Of course we can! Does anyone remember how many Misaos last year's most overhyped and viral game won?
Exactly: Two. Not more. And that game had gotten a lot more publicity than any other game on this site ever. I can't imagine many of those "0 MS no avatar" accounts are actually going to vote.
And even if they do - one more reason for all regular users to keep their eyes open and make sure the Misaos go to those games that really deserve them.
So…the moral here is to bide together in arms and harmony and make sure that something like a possible Pom never comes to be?

But we’re so divided! And some of the users here don’t even play any games regularly!

- We are so screwed! :(
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Doesn't the winner of the Misaos average, like... 30 votes? I feel improving the overall vote count can't be that hard.

Still, I've only played a couple of these games and RM games in the past year, so I really need to crack down and check out some new stuff. Another event like Reviewrim or the Bounty event would be really fun, as well :D I know they're a lot of work, though.
I guess internet trophies are important to some people
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=kentona

It is our destiny.
nhubi
author=kentona

Wait, didn't Hero's Realm win a few of them back in the day?
author=kentona

I'm an achievement whore. The first step is admitting you have a problem.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona

I am a beast of ego and I feast on the praise of others
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I've heard good things about Iris and Les Visiteurs Dans L'Espace. I wouldn't be surprised if either of those end up as sleeper hits.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Threads like this remind me that I have so many games I want to play. I'm gonna invent a device that freezes time so I can play all these games to my hearts content.

Since I played mostly demos this year, it's difficult for me to nominate games for these categories. But I'll do my best:

Best Storytelling and Direction - Dreaming Mary.

Regardless of my thoughts of the implications, I feel like it told its message very VERY well. While graphics alone do not make a game, DM certainly showed how they can be used to enhance a game. I feel like if the visuals weren't as well done as they were, DM would not have had the impact that it did.

Best Characters - The Heart Pumps Clay

Every character in that game, whether it's Mara's team, or the villains, were all diverse in design and personality. Each villain required a unique strategy to defeat, and later in the game, new mechanics blended in with old ones to create a wonderful experience.

No, I didn't get this category confused with Best Gameplay Mechanics. Each character's personality was reflected so well in gameplay. Mara cared about Bud's well-being throughout the game, and gameplay design choices really made ME, the player, care about Bud. This is just one example, but every character in the game has this kind of thought put into their gameplay styles that I grew to really care for them.

Best Setting - Dreaming Mary.

I have never played a game quite like it before. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't played them yet.

Best Atmosphere - Enelysion, or Dreaming Mary.

Choosing a best one for this category feels like comparing apples and oranges. I think they both excelled at the all-important immersion factor, just in very different ways. Enelysion's excellent mapping and music choices did such a great job of providing a tone for each map. Dreaming Mary's art, music, and gameplay choices all seem to blend together so well to convey the dream world vibe. If you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I would probably say Dreaming Mary just because of fewer immersion breaking glitches.

Best Graphics & Artwork - Dreaming Mary orIt Moves.

I'll just say it: Graphics CAN make or break the game. I you make a graphic-heavy game, and your art skills are sub par, the game will suffer. Both of these games don't have that problem, however, as the art skills of accha and SnowlOwl are incredible. I really can't decide either one.

Best Sound & Music - Dreaming Mary, or Enelysion.

Another instance of comparing apples to oranges. The music in both these games serve different purposes. One is not simply better than the other.

Most Technical Prowess - It Moves.

Predictability is the bane of all RPG Maker horror games. When you do the same thing over and over again, it gets less and less scary. Not only does It Moves NOT fall into this trap, but each nightmare is diverse and unique. You have no idea what's going to happen next, and that is a sign of excellent design.

Best Level/Dungeon/Puzzle Design - It Moves.

Read previous paragraph.

Best Gameplay Mechanics - Okiku: Star Apprentice, or The Heart Pumps Clay.

Both of these games do such a good job of using game mechanics to immerse the player. Using the Wand of Blasting in Okiku really felt like I was... becoming Okiku, if that makes any sense. I especially had a lot more fun than I should have blasting people...

But The Heart Pumps Clay does exactly what Okiku did, but with more of everything. So it might just win out, slightly. Just because there MORE doesn't mean it's inherently better. So it's still a toss up between them.

Best Interface Design - *blank*.

I don't have any aesthetic sense, so I can't really decide on a category for this one.

Most Promising Demo - Luxaren Allure

What can I say about this game that I haven't said already? This game is just fun to play. You can tell that unity has just as much fun making this game as players do playing it. I especially loved how unity tackled the yuri themes in the story: Treated like any other romance. It's not trying to force a message down my throat, so even those that aren't 100% comfortable with this subject matter will still find an enjoyable game to play.

Best Non-RPG - Dreaming Mary

I would put Ib on here, but technically, it wasn't COMPLETED this year. So I can't really recommend it in good conscience. Otherwise, I'd replace Ib with a few other categories on this list. So Dreaming Mary is closest to Ib that I have played, so there's that. Sure, it doesn't sound fair, but that's my thoughts.

Game Of The Year - Enelysion.

This does seem right out of nowhere considering my other nominations. But Enelysion takes it for me because of the sheer amount of EFFORT put into it. And it shows how much EFFORT Yuna21 put into this project that you can't just throw that away. While I think Enelysion's strength is it's amazing mapping and music selection, it has no real weaknesses. (Other than the bugs, but those are getting systematically squashed, so I'll be that there will be no major bugs by the time the voting process begins)

I'm hyperventilating from the Soul Sunder and Remnants of Isolation recommendations.
You warm my heart, Nova. <3 Don't worry, the Redux version will be well worth it.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Addit
Demos

author=Red_Nova
Most Promising Demo - Luxaren Allure

What can I say about this game that I haven't said already? This game is just fun to play. You can tell that unity has just as much fun making this game as players do playing it. I especially loved how unity tackled the yuri themes in the story: Treated like any other romance. It's not trying to force a message down my throat, so even those that aren't 100% comfortable with this subject matter will still find an enjoyable game to play.

I am crying with sheer happiness, guys. Thank you! ;_;