MATT TAYLOR LANDS PROBE ON COMET, BUT IS NOW (IN)FAMOUS FOR TACKY SHIRT.

author=Max McGee
OPEN QUESTION: Is it a good thing or a bad thing that if not for #Shirtgate, I would not have known about this comet landing at all?

That is incredibly sad. I did not know anything about this shirt before I read this topic but the comet landing is something I've heard about all week on nearly all the news channels I follow and it's incredibly awesome.

It's especially fitting after having seen Interstellar that there's awesome space exploration news and although I haven't followed it closely enough I can't wait for the informations they've collected from that comet to reach pop science levels so I too can understand exactly what we learned from this mission.

It's just so fucking exciting! Landing on a godsdamn comet! I just hope that it will get some extra solar power so that it can continue to run at least a little bit. But I guess it already did well enough.

https://soundcloud.com/esaops/a-singing-comet
breaking news

research centers now offloading used lab coats in bulk

due to space babe t shirt being recognized as new official scientist uniform
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
All I want to know is

How do you get a spacecraft to go 135,000 km/h

And when will I be able to buy a motorcycle that can go this fast
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Yellow Magic
Honestly, if I devoted years of painstaking research for a a single project only for the end result to be articles such as "I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist and ostracizing" I'd have a full-on mental breakdown (yeah, that reads like satire, but actually isn't). Like, the history books are not going to recognise Matt Taylor for his work, but for being Dr. Shirtgate. How insane is that?

Personally, the guy could have worn a shirt reading "KILL ALL BROWN PEOPLE" and I'd let it slide because come on he helped land a probe on a motherfreaking comet

Ironically read the last part of your post as being said by Samuel L. Jackson.

author=LockeZ
All I want to know is

And when will I be able to buy a motorcycle that can go this fast

Mere minutes before said motorcycle kills you.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
When I worked at a restaurant, I almost got fired for wearing grey pants to work and not black. In my current job, I have to wear a dress shirt and khaki pants that match according to the company's guidelines. All I do is work in the stockroom.

People care immensely about appearances. Fact.

This isn't a particularly big deal anyway. The media will give him shit for wearing some dumb shirt, but he'll still have his job and history will still remember him as a badass dude who landed a badass probe on a badass comet.

If he ends up losing his job over this, well, then we'll talk about bullshit.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Isrieri
When I worked at a restaurant, I almost got fired for wearing grey pants to work and not black. In my current job, I have to wear a dress shirt and khaki pants that match according to the company's guidelines. All I do is work in the stockroom.

This isn't a particularly big deal anyway. The media will give him shit for wearing some dumb shirt, but he'll still have his job and history will still remember him as a badass dude who landed a badass probe on a badass comet.

Normally I'd say it's much ado about nothing, but with another "gate" which I will not mention lest I incur Liberty's ire, there is already a culture war raging. And that this man has been reduced to a groveling, weeping jackass just for his shirt choice, on the day where he should be celebrating like... he's LIFE'S WORK, makes this a big deal. It's just yet another incursion by the SJW psychopaths, who seem to have the backing of big money/power and big media.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Yesterday I was furious about this, and even ranted on fb about it.
Today, I could care less. It was a dumb shirt. Someone made an uneducated assumption. THE WORLD BLEW UP and disregarded Kim Kardasian's lubed up bedonkadonk.
Meanwhile in Japan, there are used panty vending machines.

I love that quote by Stephen Fry about people thinking they have the right to be offended by something and that they think that it gives them some sort of power. It's true. You're offended by a shirt? Oh, baby... Let me show you anime.
author=LockeZ
All I want to know is

A *LOT* of space hamsters.
author=Isrieri

Spoilers: He isn't going to lose his job over this. The only thing he'll lose over this is sleep which is unfortunate because nobody should lose sleep / their job because they have bad judgment what to wear to an interview and wore a dumb shirt.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Max McGee
How's that ironic?

And you can imagine Samuel L. Jackson saying "motherfreaking"??
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=GreatRedSpirit
Spoilers: He isn't going to lose his job over this.

That's correct, only because he prostrated himself and threw himself at the mercy of the femnazi machine and apologized publicly. They'll spare him, for now.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=harmonic
author=GreatRedSpirit
That's correct, only because he prostrated himself and threw himself at the mercy of the femnazi machine and apologized publicly. They'll spare him, for now.

you are delusional
Ion-Propulsion can accelerate a spacecraft to 135,000 km/h over a long period of time, say 10 years.
Yellow Magic
author=harmonic

obsorber is that you???
Max McGee
I love that quote by Stephen Fry about people thinking they have the right to be offended by something and that they think that it gives them some sort of power. It's true.

Man...increasingly with the SJW power bloc waxing in our culture, being offended (or at least pretending offense) is becoming a source of power. Which is completely absurd.

author=Yellow Magic
author=Max McGee
How's that ironic?

And you can imagine Samuel L. Jackson saying "motherfreaking"??

1) Because of the 'KILL ALL BROWN PEOPLE' part.

2) Hahahahaha...I read your post as saying "motherfucking" until just now. I tend to mentally correct "fake" curse words to "real" ones when I'm reading. It's a foible of my brain.

author=harmonic
author=GreatRedSpirit

This might be a bit much but...then again I'm not sure. It just seems so fucking retarded that he had to apologize for wearing a shirt. I mean I know he didn't HAVE to apologize. Like no one put a gun to his head. But the fact that there's a cultural climate where he actually felt like he SHOULD apologize for wearing a shirt is even worse in a way.
Yeah, I don't think he'd ever be fired for this, apology or not. This was just the case of people not realizing the impact of their own voices on the internet when it's an aggregate thing. Same thing with cyber bullying--one 13-year old calls someone a racial slur ironically and it's just a stupid kid, but when tens of thousands of 13-year-olds do it it's labeled as a hate group and it can be read as a disturbing racist undercurrent. This was just a certain percentage of people with sticks up their asses that comment on everything that can even be partially considered sexist, and this time it got national attention because of the gonzo factor, and the saddest part about it is that this guy's probably never going to wear his space babe shirt anymore, which means the other scientists can't make fun of it behind his back.
It's really sad because he was so happy before this happened; something as insignificant as outrage over a shirt should never get in the way of his accomplishment, and how overjoyed that (hopefully still) makes him.

There's so much cool new information that'll be found from being able to probe a comet; we need more comet and less shirt.
Yellow Magic
author=Max McGee

What race do you think I am???
author=Kel
There's so much cool new information that'll be found from being able to probe a comet; we need more comet and less shirt.

I agree, next interview with Taylor he should come out shirtless. Or have a shirt on and rip it off Hulk Hogan style!
Max McGee
author=Housekeeping
Yeah, I don't think he'd ever be fired for this, apology or not.

I want to say you're right, but it's clear we're moving in that direction.

Donald Sterling (couldn't remember his name; googled 'Racist Lakers Guy' so there's that to say about his legacy) was ousted for making racially insensitive remarks, which strictly speaking is perpendicular to his actual job requirements and expectations.

Brendan Eich, CEO of Mozilla, stepped down from his job because of the furor over the fact that six years ago he contributed $1,000 to Prop 8 which I'm positive has nothing to do with his job requirements.

I'm not defending old creepy racist dude's racism. I'm not even saying I support Prop 8. But there's LOTS AND LOTS of things I DON'T LIKE and don't agree with that I don't think should be grounds for forfeiting your career.

The social impact of ever saying or even thinking something not 100% politically correct is increasingly becoming something that can cost a person their career. It's fucking terrifying.

In response to Eich's move, GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said that, "Mozilla's strong statement in favor of equality today reflects where Corporate America is: inclusive, safe and welcoming to all."

The corporate co-opting of "inclusivity" in the name of "fall in line with groupthink or lose your career" is full on fucking dystopian. If we're not at the point where you can lose your career for wearing a Politically Incorrect shirt...we're getting there.

author=Housekeeping
Same thing with cyber bullying--one 13-year old calls someone a racial slur ironically and it's just a stupid kid, but when tens of thousands of 13-year-olds do it it's labeled as a hate group and it can be read as a disturbing racist undercurrent.

I think you're actually a bit too easy on mob mentality IN general. Most people who are mobbing know they're part of a mob. It's part of the 'fun'.

author=Yellow Magic
author=Max McGee

What race do you think I am???

No clue! Sorry. I am going to guess from that image angry glowering Asian woman with huge hair?