USUAL LUNCH

Pages: 1
Since RMN is an international community and such, let`s talk about things that are different across the many different countries: Food! Guys, what do you usually have for lunch? What did you have today? What is your ideal meal? What is the kind of thing that can't be amiss in a, say, birthday party? Things like that! To start, I'll answer these for myself. The picture isn't particularily relatable to my habits but this is the usual lunch for 95% of our population.

What do you usually have for lunch?
-normally some sort of boiled chicken, with beans and rice. Maybe some salad too. But I'm not a fan. Cheap food that I really like is bovine heart and similar stuff, it's really cheap, but almost everyone except old people are disgusted of it. I also like chicken breasts for their versatility, as such they're a staple in my kitchen. But meh, none of these is what I really like to eat, though.

What did you have today?
-Baião de Dois. It's a traditional Brazilian dish, very well-consumed in the northernmost, hottest part of our country. It consists of rice, a plethora of beans and some sort of sausage, as well as farofa, which is a sort of savory, grainy manioc flour. It's yummy!

It's easy to make and perfectly economical, since it can be pretty much made from leftovers of yesterday lunch. Despite this, it's awesomely tasty.

What's your ideal meal?
-A plate filled with plenty of sushi, sashimi and all sorts of japanese foods. Or anything fish-based really. Yakisoba's also a mainstay. I thoroughly enjoy crafting my own recipes as well! And I enjoy adding sugar to caramelize chicken or fish-based foods. Mm. (everyone likes my food, but they seem a little disgusted when they're eating and then they suddenly know I've added copious amounts of sugar to their pasta)

What is the kind of thing that can't be amiss in a, say, birthday party?
-This one's a flash answer here in Brazil: Brigadeiro. I think it's rather famous over the whole world, already. We also have plenty of other bonbons as well, such as beijinho, olho de sogra and things like that. They're all very yummy. I especially like our gourmet brigadeiros, and it's such a versatile base recipe! You can adjust it to any taste! Peanut lovers will likely love brigadeiro de paçoca, which basically uses paçoca -- roasted and powdered peanut sweets -- as a base for the recipe. It's glorious. And awfully simple.

Well, your turn! Talk a little about your diet, what's common in your country and things like that! :D

MMMMMMMMM I LIKE THE EATS YOU EAT. I adore the everloving hell out of beans XD I use them practically in every meal. I don't eat a lot of meat so they provide some protein and fiber all at once and taste so freakin delicious. I want to go to Brazil for some good foods now LOL

Canada seems to be all basic and whatnot, continental foods. We're pretty famous for our poutines. Fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Mmmmmmmm. It's extremely bad for one though so one must eat them sparingly LOL

There was one place in the town I live in that sold poutine pizza's ;_; their shop was sadly bought out by an inferior restaurant that closed down but a few months after and all the drunkards that roamed Main St mourned the death of Cut Throat Pizza and their glorious Poutine Pizza's.
OMNOMNOM

And the Acadians, the french peoples of my province (New Brunswick) eat this godforsaken thing called poutine rapee, which is not be be confused with poutine. It's grated potatoes rolled up into a ball stuffed with salted pork and boiled. I do not like it, mostly cause I find the texture disturbing lol

I'm not good for representing my Country's food, I like everything XD

Usually a sandwich and a salad. I use an onion bun, aged white cheddar cheese (STINKY CHEEEEEESE), shaved turkey, kale, cilantro, onion and roasted garlic mayo. Salad is similar, kale, cilantro, onion, green pepper, baby carrots, a blend of 6 beans and I mix coconut milk and spicy mango chutney for dressing.

What did you have today?
Todaaaayyyy... I slapped together one of those salads and then threw spaghetti, vegetables and cheese on top. My boyfriend and I tend to get baked and make random stuff that always turns out awesome XD I probably would have had a sammich but my boyfriend was over today and he sadly has coeliacs and therefor can't eat gluten and I'd've felt bad eating a deliscious sandwich in front of him lol but I always have gluten free pasta on hand for days he's over.

What's your ideal meal?
POUTINE PIZZA ;____; lol srsly though, I love anything that combines curry, coconut milk and beans. Currrrrrryyyyyyyyyy. I'm not a big meat eater but I go crazy for chicken breast. It's just too expensive for my poor persons wallet to justify buying it on a regular basis.

My mom makes the best pierogies I've ever had in me life. I demand them every birthday (Cake don't matter, I'd rather cheesecake lol I'm not a big fan of sweets). I guess my grandmother learned the recipe from a Polish store owner she worked for and passed the recipe on to ma. Amazing.

I don't have a usual lunch. Maybe cheese and crackers, or eating out at a random restaurant. I generally don't eat normal meals cause of my screwy schedule.

What did you have today?

Chinese buffet.

What's your ideal meal?

A burger and fries, with an appetizer course of Jalapeno Poppers. The burger NEEDS pickles, cheddar, and bacon. Basically burgers are the greatest food on earth.

Booze. Lots of booze. But you gotta have Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum there, because it's god tier liquor. Does pot count as food? Cause that's welcome at birthdays too. Ice cream cake too.
author=Pizza
Does pot count as food?

The cookies and gummy candies a friend made and shared definitely dictate yes, it can indeed count as food.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
author=Homunculus
author=Pizza
Does pot count as food?
The cookies and gummy candies a friend made and shared definitely dictate yes, it can indeed count as food.

No, that counts as drugs in food.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
But you gotta have Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum there, because it's god tier liquor.

Word. Sailor Jerry is my go to hard and has been since college.
Holy crap, I've never heard of poutine pizza but it sounds amazing.
author=Link_2112
Holy crap, I've never heard of poutine pizza but it sounds amazing.

It. Is. A beautiful thing. So beautiful. They had another variation called the chili cheese pizza, which was pretty much a poutine pizza with chili instead of gravy which was also glorious. And the pizza's of the month, which included Taco Pizza, Chinese food pizza, turkey dinner pizza, butter chicken pizza, shake'n'bake chicken pizza (My personal fav, it had gravy instead of pizza sauce, mashed potatoes, pieces of shake-n-bake chicken, topped with cheese), pulled pork pizza, so many beautiful pizza's.
Ok please stop, I'm craving pizza so bad but I can't get any decent pizza out here T.T (plus you reached your daily pizza word usage quota)
Yeah, the over usage of the word pizza can be extremely confusing. Also holy fuck, I need to find a gimmick pizza joint. Why has this never crossed my mind before?
Baaahahaha I was half out of it rambling about pizza, I just noticed the giant wall of the word. Awesome.
A sandwich of some sort. Usually consisting of ham, cheese, lettuce Dijon mustard, and mayo. Due to my work schedule, I also eat lunch at midnight every day... er... night.

What did you have today?
There were chicken quesadillas leftover from dinner, so I had that instead of a sandwich.

What's your ideal meal?
Barbecue chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, rice, tomato-cucumber salad... ahh... Fajitas are really good, too.

Cake? Preferably chocolate.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, there is no usual lunch for me. I live in a cultural smorgasbord. While Canada has no real claim to fame dishes outside things it enjoys, like maple syrup and poutine (preferrably not at the same time), I do enjoy a few specific meals at lunch time.
At work, I tend to have leftovers from dinner, which is usually a home-cooked masterpiece by my girlfriend, or a home-cooked slightly wrong dish by me.
Or a vegetarian subway sandwich if I'm in a bind.
Off days, there's just so many options. Dumplings, Cantonese low mein, curry, etheopian, Greek, pizza, burgers, shwarma, etc etc.
I have a few of my favourites across Toronto: a little bar at Islington & Lakeshore knows me by name and makes me the best Low Mein ever. Always a treat! There's a bakery a block over for amazing buttertarts too! Worth the trip.
South of where I live, a place called Burger's Priest makes to-kill-for burgers you can order off a secret menu that you need to clear your weekly caloric intake for. Yet they are scrumptious! I had a Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse burger while watching the Canada's Day fireworks this year. Yum!
Mother's Dumplings at Spadina & College is just the best dumpling around. Named right, it's an authentic and genuine dining delight. While there are many restaurants lining the Chinatown area, Mother's Dumplings is my #1 top pick.
If it's still a bit early for breakfast, there's a Cora restaurant that does very fruit heavy breakfast dishes near downtown! It's not quite as my hometown's (Guelph, Ontario) Eggcetra where breakfast is concerned, although, I do enjoy the vibe and the coffee is great.
I've yet to find my perfect Ethiopian or Indian food joint, sadly.
And when all else fails (and I'm in the neighborhood) a few blocks west from Bathurst & College is a burrito place. $5 will get you a bean burrito bigger than my fist. And one of favourite comic shops is upstairs! (Where I had my first comic signing!)
I know that I'm forgetting something, and heaven knows that's not even the tip of the iceburg for food around this city. Yet, this is all that springs to mind right now.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

Bam!

I do, however, double deck it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Whatever I feel like making. I have training. I know how to make New York style pizza. My favorite is white pizza. This is a pizza that uses either alfredo sauce or ricotta as its sauce base. I prefer ricotta, is made with mozzarella, romano, garlic and basil. The New York style crust is flour, water, sugar, salt, olive oil and yeast. Let it rise for nine hours before using.

I'm also one of those addicted to Chinese food. Most people don't know how to make fried rice. There's a trick to it. You steam the rice or boil it first (this may seem a no brainer, but I've been told to fry it straight out of the bag), then after it's cooked, wash it, then put it in the refrigerator to cool off. The next time you try your hand at fried rice, see what kind of difference this makes. Cook in two teaspoons of oil and two tablespoons of soy sauce, add mung sprouts, shredded carrot and cabbage, and crack an egg in it while it cooks on medium high to high heat stirring constantly. Make an egg-roll with it (it's best to deep fry these.). You can get the wraps for them from a local Oriental grocery store. Fill these with mung sprouts, cabbage and your favorite meat.

A quick an easy thing to make is quiche. Yeah, quiche is French. It's like an omelette except it's made more like a cake. It only takes a few minutes to make. You'll need small cooking pot, the smallest one pretty much, the one that looks like it could be a drinking cup; I prefer cast iron since when properly cared for, it has better non-stick properties than Teflon, is nontoxic, and cooks more evenly than any other material, but you likely won't have the right shape pot in cast iron. 3 eggs, scrambled. Pour a third of the mixture into the pot. Add cheese and other preferred ingredients (fresh spinach is good. For my favorite, I like tomato sprinkled with basil and on the top, decorate with basil leaves. Another good type is Mexican style using salsa, cheese, green onions and such), pour the next third in, add more cheese and whatever else you're using, pour the final third on. Cover it and let cook until the egg is cooked through and the edges are brown (about 10 minutes to cook, preparation time 5 minutes). Extremely easy and so good people will ask where you got the recipe.

What did you have today?

I skipped lunch, today, but for breakfast, I had bacon, eggs, toast with strawberry jam, and fried potatoes.

What's your ideal meal?

There is no ideal meal for me, so I'll list some of my favorites. I like sushi, white pizza, Chinese anything, Mexican salsa (another thing American's can't guess without the recipe). Salsa is another super easy recipe. Just take two beefsteak tomatoes, two tomatilloes (the little green tomatoes) and bake them until they're soft and come apart easily. Add onions, lots of cilantro, and add dried chili pepper to taste and mix with a mortar and pestle. This is really all there is to salsa. The keys are the tomatilloes and the cilantro.

There is one meal that stands out. My wife had wanted to try ratatouille after seeing the movie. I know it was a little silly, but I went ahead and searched out a recipe. I found a lot of American concoctions and a lot of arguments about how ratatouille should be made, so I found the actual recipe that was used for the movie, confit byaldi, by Thomas Keller (that's all you need to know to find the recipe on Google: be warned, it's for the advanced cook only...but it's worth it. When you read the ingredient list, you'll have certain expectations about how it'll taste. Forget them. It tastes nothing like the ingredients.). Preparation time was two hours and then it took another two hours to bake. I was extremely pleased: my first attempt turned out perfect. It's enough of an ordeal that I haven't cooked it since and it's enough of an ordeal that I'm not enthusiastic about cooking it again, but I liked it so much, I know I'm going to.

I don't often drink, but for birthdays I like Bailey's whiskey with Irish cream.
My usual lunch is fruit of some kind and/or a honey/peanut butter sandwich on rye, and COFFEE. I frigging love coffee (luckily I hate the taste of coffee tainted by sugar) and when I stop drinking it in the afternoon, I look forward to drinking it the next day at breakfast.

As for cultural food... I think Asian food is very popular in Australia. I love Indian, and Thai red curries although I really dislike Chinese food. I also like "plain" stuff like meat and vegetables which is a pretty standard dish here also.

I'm definitely not an adventurous eater. I did not grow up eating fish and have had cats nearly all my life, so now I kind of associate smelly fish pieces with cat food. I'm also a picky eater XD and I get grossed out by different meat products/dairy every now and then, and can't eat them for a period of time - especially eggs.

My favourite foods - anything from tandoori or satay chicken, CRISPY BACON, brown/rye breads, cheese, oranges, cherries, avocadoes, olives, cherry or apricot danishes, fruit flans... also, spaghetti with brown pasta, fresh tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs and garlic. And duh, coffee.

I usually just think on the spot for a birthday meal, so it changes every year, but I know it has been tandoori chicken before. And maybe spaghetti.
author=Pianotm
You steam the rice or boil it first (this may seem a no brainer, but I've been told to fry it straight out of the bag), then after it's cooked, wash it, then put it in the refrigerator to cool off. The next time you try your hand at fried rice, see what kind of difference this makes.

Really! LOL I'll have to let my brother know, he always makes extra rice so that he can put half in the fridge and make fried rice the next day cause he finds it tastes better that way. I'll have to let him know he's doing it proper XD Also, white pizza is indeed awesome ;___; I also really like pesto instead of pizza sauce

I haven't have lunch yet today but soon I will be making some udon noodle soup with shrimp and pork dumblings :D

Edit: Dumplings lol i assure you, I do not plan to cook dumb people and put them in my soup, ahahaha not at all, nooo... *Glances around nervously*
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Really! LOL I'll have to let my brother know, he always makes extra rice so that he can put half in the fridge and make fried rice the next day cause he finds it tastes better that day

Weird, I am literally doing this RIGHT NOW because I read online that fried rice needs to be 2-3 days old before you fry it to get the right taste.
This thread is making me all kinds of hungry right now…

Why the hell did I even click on it? *tummy gurgle*
author=Homunculus
I do not plan to cook dumb people and put them in my soup, ahahaha not at all, nooo...
Phew! I was worried for a minute!
Pages: 1