Bojackbojack316AST
ZeuzioZeuzioZeuzio77CST
Omega/Tournament, No Items, Stock 4
Zeuzio's sisterHowldemonCST
Omega/Tournament, No Items, Stock 4
MiracleMiracleJeanacleEST
AlphaOmega247AlphaOmega247AlphaOmega247EST
All Stages, All Items, Time 2
kentonakentonagboneSaskatchewan Time/CST)
Little Wing GuyParlourTrickParlour_TrickGMT
J-ManJaymoniusjaymoniusMST
No Items
PizzaPizzaTheFacePizzaThePhoneEST
Omega only, No Items, Stock 4
Pizza's RoommatePizzaTheFace(2)EST
Omega only, No Items, Stock 4
MajoracanKingGamer_11233UTC
, Ryu ,
Stock 5
Stragglers
AdditpendingPST
UPRCpendingAST?
halibabicapending
Possibles
Dudesoft
zacheatscrackersEST
Isrieri

Timezone
-Insert image to help convert time-
You can always type something like "2pm est in ast" to get a quick conversion.

Characters
The first one is our main. Followed by some other characters we like to use in no particular order.

Rules
Our preference for rules. First is stages, then items, then match type. There are a few categories for each.

Stages
  • All - No preference.
  • Omega only - Every stage pick should be the Omega version. No exceptions. Not even FD.
  • Tournament only - Generally in tournaments this includes neutral stages with no dangerous gimmicks. Since the game is new I'm going to make this list myself. If anybody sees legit tourny stage list, let me know. These are non-Omega version. No exceptions. Even FD xD
  • Battlefield, Final Destination, Mario Galaxy, Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Congo Jungle, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Castle Seige, Skyworld, Halberd, Smashville, Boxing Ring, Pilot Wings, Dunk Hunt, Wii Fit... (I'm not entirely familiar with all the stages, so there may be a few more)
  • Gimmicks only - All those wacky stages that end up killing you half the time. I don't expect anybody to pick this category, but I'm throwing it in for the sake of completion.
  • Omega/Tourny - You like the stages in the Tournament category but you also like to play on the occasional Omega level for the ambiance. Mix it up, don't do too many of a single category in a row.
  • Omega/Gimmick - You prefer Omegas, but like a wacky gimmick once and a while.
  • Tourny/Gimmick - You prefer Tournament stages, but like a wacky gimmick sometimes.

Items
  • None - Real men play with no items.
  • All(1-5) - You like all items on with varying levels of drop rates.
  • Some(1-5) - You like a select few items on with varying levels of drop rates.

Match type
  • Stock(2-5+) - This is the standard for all tournaments and imo the best way to play. Tournaments are 4 stock fights. 2 or 3 is good for quick matches when you want to change characters a lot and 5+ are good when you don't plan on switching your character. You'll want to pick 4 unless you and your friends are used to playing a different number and you'd like to keep it that way. I'm flexible but my main goal is to pick tournament rules so that I'm practiced when I eventually go to my local tournaments.
  • Time(2-x) - You like timed matches with varying time limits. The online games force 2 minutes and I'm not sure how high some people like to go with that since I never play that mode. After playing some online matches I can see how different a fight it is when you play timed matches. So I'm warming up to them a bit.
  • Other - Not sure why you would prefer any other type, but feel free to pick it. All of these preferences aren't exclusive, so even if you prefer stock I'm sure a coin battle could happen on occasion.

We can do some matchmaking here by posting times that we are going to play.

It would be a good idea for everyone to subscribe to this thread so you don't miss any fight requests!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the thread to talk about all things Smash Wii U. If you want to discuss the DS version make your own topic!

I'll get things started: What a stupid name for the game. They should have followed suit with Melee, Brawl, ???.

Who are you favorite characters? Stages? What features do you enjoy?

I personally love the Omega stage option. I've played at the tournament level and stage choice is everything. I wonder how that is going to play out in tourneys. Will you be able to pick any omega? Or will they stick to a non-omega shit list. There's always so few stages suitable for competitive play and this game is no different.

I love boxing and Hajime no Ippo, so I have to get good with Little Mac. I like his speed but he has terrible range, no projectile, and his recovery is the worst I've ever seen. But I found Rosalina surpringly awesome so I may take her up. Of course my long time main has been Bluigi. I still haven't had a chance to play every character but those are my first impressions.

I don't know how I feel about 8 player smash. It's a little too much. The larger stages help but ehhhhh I won't be doing that much.

I was kind of dissapointed that there was no story mode or equivalent. Yeah, there's lots to do, but it all seems kind of limited. It won't take long to finish it all and then all that's left is Smash. But I guess that's the main reason why we play. At least things like classic mode and all-star are 2p, so I can go through it all with my friend instead of going over to find everything completed already.
I don't own Smash yet and I have no idea what my Wii U code is. I'll get the code tomorrow though, it's a little late to boot up the Wii U because I'm lazy and it's on the other side of the house (and right next to one of my room mates rooms, who's probably asleep).
Are you planning on getting it soonish? You have a Wii U, so you're one step ahead of most people.
I'm just "Zeuzio" on the Wii U. I can play it at mostly any time.

EDIT:

I'm really enjoying the Yoshi buffs in this new game. Yoshi felt like he was as worse as he ever was in Brawl, but now I feel like I can start seriously using him. From the newcomers, I've taken a liking to Greninja and Duck Hunt.
I've been playing this all day! my NNID is MiracleJeanacle and I usually play as dark kirby or light blue ness.

author=Zeuzio
I'm really enjoying the Yoshi buffs in this new game. Yoshi felt like he was as worse as he ever was in Brawl, but now I feel like I can start seriously using him.
Yoshi got some really serious buffs this time around, he's so much faster! His new dash attack is pretty brutal

Also yeah no story mode sucks. That was like my favorite part of Brawl! thankfully online is actually playable this time so that kind of makes up for it.
I'm really interested in playing that game at least as fox.
author=Link_2112
Are you planning on getting it soonish? You have a Wii U, so you're one step ahead of most people.

Well, considering I just bought Alpha Sapphire, my rent and internet bill are coming up, and I have to buy Christmas stuff for my friends back home... The outlook is no. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime in January or February.

I'll still add you guys, because we're a big happy family and all that shit.
author=Pizza
author=Link_2112
Well, considering I just bought Alpha Sapphire, my rent and internet bill are coming up, and I have to buy Christmas stuff for my friends back home... The outlook is no. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime in January or February.

I'll still add you guys, because we're a big happy family and all that shit.

We could play some MK8 or something in the meantime!
author=Link_2112
I'll get things started: What a stupid name for the game. They should have followed suit with Melee, Brawl, ???.
It totally should have been Super Smash Bros. Universe. Talk about a wasted opportunity. So now instead of being all like "Yeah, I'm gonna play some Brawl or Melee," I have be say, "I'm going to play some for Wii U." ...... :\

The actual fighting in the game is exceptionally good. I love it. Which is good, because most everything else is disappointing. The Stage Builder is crappy, Smash Tour is crappy, Target Smash is crappy, there is no Adventure Mode, the lack of personal stats is crappy, the challenge board is bullshit. The game is basically a choice grade A porterhouse steak served in a stale value brand hot dog bun. The core is SOOOOO GOOD, but it's surrounded by mediocrity. Thankfully, nothing but the multiplayer really matters, so one can easily overlook all of that nonsense.

Favorite characters: Robin, Shulk, Link, Falco
Favorite stages: Super Mario Galaxy, Skyloft
Crappiest Stage: The Great Cave Offensive (WAY TOO BIG)

My Nintendo Network ID is (shockingly) AlphaOmega247.
I am LOVING this game so far. I have zero free time in the morning before work, but I've caught myself playing it the last two mornings for 10-15 minutes. MMOs can't even have that kind of pull over me. I haven't played Smash since the N64, so this is quite change for me. Smash Wii U is such a huge blast to play!

I went into the game thinking one of the sword characters would be my favourite, because I usually ALWAYS go with the sword characters in games like this... but random select gave me quite a surprise with this character who I did not expect to love the play style of...

HERE'S MAH GURL

Seriously, Zelda is freaking awesome. At least to me. I also like King Dedede and Ike, but Zelda is my numero uno right now. I'm excited to go home and play some more, especially since it's the weekend in a few hours for me, so I'll have all the time in the world.

I'll also figure out my Wii ID thingy when I get home.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I might be getting it next year for my birthday. I'm getting ps4 for my gf this Xmas. So money is gonna be a bit tight.
How do we figure out our Nintendo ID? I swear I have one, but hell if I know what it is or how to find it.
Go to your Friends List and click your profile. If you have one it should be there :)
There's a friends list? huh. I will have to check
author=Davenport
I'm really interested in playing that game at least as fox.
author=Dudesoft
I might be getting it next year for my birthday. I'm getting ps4 for my gf this Xmas. So money is gonna be a bit tight.

You totally should! Though Fox has been pretty severely nerfed, I'm afraid. At least since his Melee incarnation. He's still totally usable, though!

author=kentona
There's a friends list? huh. I will have to check

It should be that orange smiley-face button on the home menu. :)

I'll definitely agree that every mode besides Classic, All Star, and Events are really underwhelming. I've been slowly clearing out the challenges, but most of them are just "do X with character Y". I don't really miss the story mode that much, though...Subspace was kinda boring imo. But I do really miss the traditional break the targets mode! Having 49 different characters to break targets with would have been fun! XD
And it's not only "Do X with Character Y," a lot of them make you do it 49 times on an insane difficulty. Most of the rewards aren't even worth the effort.

Also, I just love it when you're fighting Master Hand and Crazy Hand, and Master Hand unleashes an attack that drives you into the ground and then Master Hand immediately starts throwing those slices of cheese at you. And then the little cheese platforms rise off the screen and there isn't anything you can do about it because you're stuck in the ground.
author=Zeuzio
I'm really enjoying the Yoshi buffs in this new game. Yoshi felt like he was as worse as he ever was in Brawl, but now I feel like I can start seriously using him. From the newcomers, I've taken a liking to Greninja and Duck Hunt.

I've seen some good Yoshis in Melee, should be fun to see him come out as a high tier character.

Greninja seemed cool and I haven't spend much time with Duck Hunt yet.

author=Miracle
I've been playing this all day!

Yoshi got some really serious buffs this time around, he's so much faster! His new dash attack is pretty brutal

Also yeah no story mode sucks. That was like my favorite part of Brawl! thankfully online is actually playable this time so that kind of makes up for it.

I would so be playing all day if I owned it :/ I thought about buying it this weekend, but I should probably wait for a few paychecks from my new job.

I really liked the long platforming parts of the story mode. Wouldn't say it was my favorite, but it was really fun.

author=Pizza
Well, considering I just bought Alpha Sapphire

Ah, so you wasted your money on that hah

author=AlphaOmega247
It totally should have been Super Smash Bros. Universe. Talk about a wasted opportunity. So now instead of being all like "Yeah, I'm gonna play some Brawl or Melee," I have be say, "I'm going to play some for Wii U." ...... :\

That's a good one, Universe. Or maybe Super Smash Bros. Beat Down!

The actual fighting in the game is exceptionally good. I love it. Which is good, because most everything else is disappointing. The Stage Builder is crappy, Smash Tour is crappy, Target Smash is crappy, there is no Adventure Mode, the lack of personal stats is crappy, the challenge board is bullshit. The game is basically a choice grade A porterhouse steak served in a stale value brand hot dog bun. The core is SOOOOO GOOD, but it's surrounded by mediocrity. Thankfully, nothing but the multiplayer really matters, so one can easily overlook all of that nonsense.

I dunno, I didn't feel the other stuff was crappy. Just not what I had hoped it to be. It's all fun to run through once but after that I don't imagine ever going back to it. Maybe they knew most people focus on basic smash so they didn't bother spending too much effort on it. Still a shame, but yes, forgivable.

Favorite characters: Robin, Shulk, Link, Falco

Is Robin the one with the book? I didn't understand the moves and they didn't seem that great. At one point I couldn't do a down B anymore. I havn't played as Shulk at all but my friend did. Seems cool that he has different modes, but his moves seem to be big slow power shots.

Favorite stages: Super Mario Galaxy

It's got a weird new angle for projectiles, eh? They go up at an angle. Plus it's a decent stage overall.

I would say the large levels are meant for large battles. So for what they are designed for, it works well.

author=UPRC
I haven't played Smash since the N64, so this is quite change for me. Smash Wii U is such a huge blast to play!

Really? Damn, what a shift. Be lucky you passed by Brawl, it's almost identical except in Brawl you would randomly trip and fall on your ass. It would happen several times per fight. The worst.

I went into the game thinking one of the sword characters would be my favourite, because I usually ALWAYS go with the sword characters in games like this... but random select gave me quite a surprise with this character who I did not expect to love the play style of...

In this game the biggest advantage is projectiles. Characters without a projectile are at a bit of a disadvantage in most cases.

Seriously, Zelda is freaking awesome. At least to me. I also like King Dedede and Ike, but Zelda is my numero uno right now. I'm excited to go home and play some more, especially since it's the weekend in a few hours for me, so I'll have all the time in the world.

I liked Zelda in Brawl, but mainly because I could switch to Shiek against certain characters. I think she's the most nerfed character because of that. But she can be strong. Up smash is good at low %, you can sometimes land a few of them without fail. In Brawl anyways. Plus those side air pings are massive.

author=Dudesoft

Get on it Dude, I want to fight you!

author=Zeuzio
You totally should! Though Fox has been pretty severely nerfed, I'm afraid. At least since his Melee incarnation. He's still totally usable, though!

I don't think they'll be stupid enough to allow another character to have the broken-ness of Melee Fox. Even Brawl Metaknight wasn't as broken.

I'll definitely agree that every mode besides Classic, All Star, and Events are really underwhelming. I've been slowly clearing out the challenges, but most of them are just "do X with character Y". I don't really miss the story mode that much, though...Subspace was kinda boring imo. But I do really miss the traditional break the targets mode! Having 49 different characters to break targets with would have been fun! XD

Yeah, sucks that they changed target mode. Why would they mess with a good thing? :(

author=AlphaOmega247
And it's not only "Do X with Character Y," a lot of them make you do it 49 times on an insane difficulty. Most of the rewards aren't even worth the effort.

Also, I just love it when you're fighting Master Hand and Crazy Hand, and Master Hand unleashes an attack that drives you into the ground and then Master Hand immediately starts throwing those slices of cheese at you. And then the little cheese platforms rise off the screen and there isn't anything you can do about it because you're stuck in the ground.

Those are crazy fights. Gotta stay on your toes and not get stuck in the first place! heh

I've been looking for Black Friday deals but it seems like I'll only really save 50$, so it's not that big a deal. As the days go by my desire to go buy this game increases.

I'm really leaning towards making Rosalina my main, too. Just having so much fun with my little star buddy. Many times he would take the blow of a massive projectile. Thank you meat-shield. I can throw him by the ledge and do sideB to block recovery. B is a strong projectile, plus you extend your range of attacks and create some interesting combos. Star buddy hits, you go flying to me, I smack you, so awesome. An interesting effect of dash attack, you dip down almost flat to the ground and I've actually dodged attacks this way. Air attacks aren't the greatest though, but decent recovery.

AHHH, I love smash <3
Just finished playing a few rounds of Team Smash online with my sister. It actually didn't lag that much, if at all for some rounds!

author=Link_2112
author=Zeuzio
I've seen some good Yoshis in Melee, should be fun to see him come out as a high tier character.

Greninja seemed cool and I haven't spend much time with Duck Hunt yet.

Yeah, watching pro players play as Yoshi kind of blows my mind a bit. Greninja is just all around pretty good and is easy to pick up. Maybe too much, since he's been nerfed a bit since 3DS 1.0. XD

Duck Hunt is...interesting. His stalling tactics are superb, but it seems like he's super easy to punish when you try to get close. I'm not very good at him yet haha, but I'd like to get better!

author=Pizza
Well, considering I just bought Alpha Sapphire
Ah, so you wasted your money on that hah

I like Alpha Sapphire so far. :[

Those are crazy fights. Gotta stay on your toes and not get stuck in the first place! heh

Yeaah, I'm still figuring them out. The two hands are pretty easy with shields/rolls, but Master Core can be hard to predict sometimes. I usually don't have much trouble with the doppelganger form though.

I'm really leaning towards making Rosalina my main, too. Just having so much fun with my little star buddy. Many times he would take the blow of a massive projectile. Thank you meat-shield. I can throw him by the ledge and do sideB to block recovery. B is a strong projectile, plus you extend your range of attacks and create some interesting combos. Star buddy hits, you go flying to me, I smack you, so awesome. An interesting effect of dash attack, you dip down almost flat to the ground and I've actually dodged attacks this way. Air attacks aren't the greatest though, but decent recovery.

AHHH, I love smash <3

I have way too much trouble keeping track of Luma, rofl. I can definitely see why she's awesome though, and she can be pretty nasty to face off against if she's controlled by a good player.

And yeah, Smash rocks! :D

Everyone who doesn't have it yet should pick it up ASAP so we can have an ultra RMN tournament of champions! Oh yeah, that reminds me: isn't there going to be an online tournament function coming in the future?
I honestly don't follow games online, so I wouldn't know about any future features. I assume you mean a 1vs1 tournament? And don't you dare talk about DS exclusive info here :|

haha Do they even update the WiiU version? I see talk of a DS update but not WiiU.

I keep telling myself that I should wait to buy a WiiU + Smash, but I keep getting this overwhelming urge to drive to Walmart and pick one up. Something tells me I'm going to cave very soon.
The Wii U is definitely getting an update of some sort, because that Miiverse stage is on the way. And, the game is already on version 1.01.

author=Link_2112
I dunno, I didn't feel the other stuff was crappy. Just not what I had hoped it to be. It's all fun to run through once but after that I don't imagine ever going back to it. Maybe they knew most people focus on basic smash so they didn't bother spending too much effort on it. Still a shame, but yes, forgivable.

Is Robin the one with the book? I didn't understand the moves and they didn't seem that great. At one point I couldn't do a down B anymore. I havn't played as Shulk at all but my friend did. Seems cool that he has different modes, but his moves seem to be big slow power shots.

Favorite stages: Super Mario Galaxy

It's got a weird new angle for projectiles, eh? They go up at an angle. Plus it's a decent stage overall.

I would say the large levels are meant for large battles. So for what they are designed for, it works well.

1. "Crappy" might have been too harsh a word. Nothing in the game is crappy except for the stage builder parts. "Disappointing" is probably more apt.

2. Robin is the one with the books. Just like in the Fire Emblem games, if you use an item too many times, it breaks and you can't use it anymore, so if you spam Robin's attacks, they'll eventually break and become unavailable for awhile. Not really a problem for me, though, as my numerous deaths grant me a fully refreshed Robin with great frequency. The magic works best when you charge it, but I mostly rely upon his sword.

3. Funky projectiles is one of the reasons I love the Super Mario Galaxy stage. My friend uses Zelda all the time, and her usually lethal final smash is almost worthless on this stage because the arrow veers off at that odd angle.

4. Even for large battles, I don't like the Great Cave Offensive. The camera is always pulled so far back, it's really hard to see what's going on. Maybe it's Nintendo's way of telling me I need an 80 inch TV. Or glasses.