HOW 'BOUT THAT NEW STAR WARS, EH?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
He's hiding all the lensflares.
I wonder if they'll have a lensflare battle above a power reactor.
I would stab myself in the chest with that claymore, with one of those hilt-sabers. Unwieldly jumps immediately to mind.

However, I love the trailer and all the hype it generates. The X-wings over the water was awesome, and the falcon looks detailed as fuck. I could care less if the story is lame, but if the characters are better than the prequels, then it doesn't matter (the characterization in them were so BAD. "I miss my mommy! IM EVIL NOW!" give me a break)

(I would have totally named this film 'A New Dread', to play off the New Hope of episode IV)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, "The Force Awakens" is really comic bookie.

A lot of discussion about that broadsword (Claymores are great swords specific to Ireland and Scotland) abound. The cross guard is simply ridiculous. First of all, it's nothing I'd want near my hand. Second of all, it's totally useless. The beams completely fail to do their jobs. Should that lightsaber lock hilts with another, the cross guard emitter will get cut off, completely defeating the purpose.
The black storm trooper scene gives me some hope.
The way he rose up and looked around confused, it had me thinking 'Deathstar destroyed, Emperor killed, Empire broken, previously subservient Storm Troopers are now self-aware'. Like, this is a potential "holy shit, that's awesome" development.

Everything else was fluff.

author=Corfaisus
What say you? Me? Lightsaber crossguard... light guard... no thanks.
I'm still waiting for some kind of super Jedi/Sith who can use the force to turn multiple lightsabers into spinning blades and use them like remote controlled airborne buzzsaws.
Or a chainsaw lightsaber.

author=pianotm
The cross guard is simply ridiculous. First of all, it's nothing I'd want near my hand. Second of all, it's totally useless. The beams completely fail to do their jobs. Should that lightsaber lock hilts with another, the cross guard emitter will get cut off, completely defeating the purpose.
Actually... do light sabers ever lock like iron swords always do? I'm pretty sure they just bounce off each other in the movies. If their blades ever did slide down each other, both fighters would lose their hands.
So I guess the cross'guard' could be somewhat useful, if the Sith guy imparts a little haft rotation into his combat style.
pianotm
You'd think, but there are plenty of scenes of where they push against each other, and the blades don't seem to be giving any kind of counter resistance (because they're actually not: the actors are fighting with plastic swords in the prequels and wooden swords in the original), so I think sword techniques must be factored in. Really, the point of the crossguard is to protect the hand, and you can see that those emitters extend well past the hand.
I heard someone speculate about the crossguards that they are not actually crossguards but if you look closely at the sword it has a more "flamey" aspect as if it wasn't a "real" lightsaber. Instead it was made by an amateur who couldn't quite get it to work the way they are supposed to. And the side-beams are more like exhausts for excess heat from the sword itself.
Sith have a history of silly lightsabers. Darth Maul had a double-edged one, Count Dooku had a bent one. Why not one with sideburns for intimidation/character?
author=Dyhalto
The black storm trooper scene gives me some hope.
The way he rose up and looked around confused, it had me thinking 'Deathstar destroyed, Emperor killed, Empire broken, previously subservient Storm Troopers are now self-aware'. Like, this is a potential "holy shit, that's awesome" development.

Everything else was fluff.

author=Corfaisus
What say you? Me? Lightsaber crossguard... light guard... no thanks.

I'm still waiting for some kind of super Jedi/Sith who can use the force to turn multiple lightsabers into spinning blades and use them like remote controlled airborne buzzsaws.
Or a chainsaw lightsaber.

Like Darth Traya?

SPOLARS (if you haven't played KOTOR2 (why havent you it is amazing))

I would totally love a Knights of the Old Republic movie.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
GEORGE LUCAS SPECIAL EDITION TRAILER

OK, once you stop laughing enough that you can breathe again, the author of Guilded Age (a webcomic) had a really interesting insight about the lightsaber.

The tl;dr:
- Jedi lightsabers are all the same because they're all about order and discipline
- Sith lightsabers are intentionally crazy as an act of rebellion against the Jedi
- The crossbar is not there for defense
- The crossbar is a weapon
- If you twist the blade toward your opponent while your swords are locked you can cut off the other guy's wrist, this will probably happen
author=LockeZ
OK, once you stop laughing enough that you can breathe again, the author of Guilded Age (a webcomic) had a really interesting insight about the lightsaber.

There's also this, which a friend pointed out to me while we were talking about the trailer:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber
author=kentona
Like Darth Traya?
Ooooh, okay. I knew it was bound to happen.

author=Shinan
I heard someone speculate about the crossguards that they are not actually crossguards but if you look closely at the sword it has a more "flamey" aspect as if it wasn't a "real" lightsaber. Instead it was made by an amateur who couldn't quite get it to work the way they are supposed to. And the side-beams are more like exhausts for excess heat from the sword itself.
This is also awesome.
I hope a lot of these cool ideas are used, and we aren't just subjected to a lame pseudo-nostalgia/fandom fest.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
LAWRENCE KASDAN

FRICKING LAWRENCE KASDAN, IS THE CO-SCREEWRITER

Now you all have a reason to be hyped.
author=Isrieri
LAWRENCE KASDAN

I have no idea who that is.
Say whaaaaaat. If only the prequel had been co-written by Kasdan too...
author=thesacredlobo
Lawrence Kasdan is the writer of the less-than-critically acclaimed movie Continental Divide!!! I guess he also co-wrote some obscure movie called Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back or something. It's a fairly minor film, so I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it.
author=Isrieri
LAWRENCE KASDAN

pianotm
Lawrence Kasdan, also known as God among Star Wars fans: he was the writer and director of Return of the Jedi.
I thought Lucas was god before, y'know, The Phantom Menace.

I hope he wasn't involved in that horrible trailer for a trailer
pianotm
Yeah, Star Wars has a lot of gods: George Lucas, Laurence Kasdan. But I think since selling Star Wars and making animated movies, George has been demoted to demi-god.
<.<
>.>
*whispers* Leia is now a Disney princess...
*walks away*
Pages: first prev 123 next last