Transparency Change
Butterfly Effect
Time Travel

Sharpard Tone Illusion
Tritone Paradox
McGurk Effect

Do you guys have any other ideas?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't understand the question.
Go smoke some weed. Then you'll understand how to make trippy shit.

It's not really something that can be taught, it needs to come from experience or it will come off as being 'fake'.
unity
You're magical to me.
Trippy effects are fun in a game, if the game warrants them and sets the situation up first. I suppose you could have a game where the whole point is to be as trippy as possible, but it seems like without a good narrative, that it would just be a novelty.

author=Kombosabo
Upside Down Tileset
Upside Down Character

OFF did a part where the whole map and character were upsidedown, and it was neat but brain-hurty.

author=Kombosabo
Door Lock
Door Password

How are these two trippy? They're pretty standard in many games.
Hey guys, sorry for not explaining it properly...
I apologise for my bad english too! (it's been 3 years since I left England)

What I really want to know is
what kind of features can I add to my game, to make it weird/unexpected/fun/trippy/almost like you've just smoked 10 pounds of weed or taken 1 litle of LSD, psychodelic drugs and stuff... Lol
I want to add strange features to my game

author=unity
author=Kombosabo
Door Lock
Door Password

How are these two trippy? They're pretty standard in many games.

That means, I must find a way around to make it not so standard...
Just for the sake of being wacky without a proper reason needed:
- Make the player load the current save when at a specific point reached, thus starting in a different scenario to proceed.
- The same way you came through a maze is the proper way to proceed.
- Take a "fourth option".
- Use morse code.
- Do nothing.
I would suggest playing other games that have these sorts of features in them; some like Yume Nikki even have wikis that can serve as a source of inspiration.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I assumed you meant something else because you had so many completely boring things like "colored doors" in your post

I assume you were just already super high when you posted, though, and had suddenly realized that, WHOA, DUDE, this door can be a DIFFERENT COLOR, that blows my fucking MIND man!
LMAO. I'm not THAT high...
I just think that the default RTP brown doors are so boring and overused
I should do something interesting with them perhaps?
Like adding blood...

author=Zephyr
Just for the sake of being wacky without a proper reason needed:
- Make the player load the current save when at a specific point reached, thus starting in a different scenario to proceed.
- The same way you came through a maze is the proper way to proceed.
- Take a "fourth option".
- Use morse code.
- Do nothing.

Thanks, I'll be adding those.

EDIT:

I've actually smoked two joints just for the sake of game design...
this is how passionate I am!
Smash Bros Brawl has a tripping feature, if you can call it a feature :P

How about...halucinations.

Or have the ability to switch between multiple party members and they each see the world differently. I'm thinking episode 1 of Deep Space Nine where Sisko and Dax are in the wormhole and one of them sees a wonderfully lush green landscape and the other sees a desolate mountain in the middle of an ion storm.
LockeZ
Get someone to write you an RPG Maker VXA script that closes your game and loads up a copy of Earthbound
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I've actually smoked two joints just for the sake of game design...
this is how passionate I am!

THIS MUST BECOME RMN TAGLINE IMMEDIATE
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Pizza
Go smoke some weed.

This is all you need.
For the record, don't add a hidden fourth option. Trust me on this. In The Here and Now of Yesterday, someone made a puzzle with a hidden fourth option (as in you have to cancel to get the right option). While it was a really neat idea, it tripped up a lot of players - so much so that that room is one of the places where people just get stuck and can't go forward. It's less trippy and more really annoying.

(What's really strange is that I didn't know this was an issue until watching a few LPs because I got the answer on the first shot... >.<; )

But yeah, when making these ideas, do try to consider your players and whether they'll get completely stuck with no way forward. Hints are always appreciated.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=LockeZ
Get someone to write you an RPG Maker VXA script that closes your game and loads up a copy of Earthbound

Run this snippet. You can even put it in a Script Event!
Thread.new { system("start [url]http://http://www.snesfun.com/game.php?id=353[/url]") }
Graphics.wait(10)
exit
author=LouisCyphre
author=LockeZ
Run this snippet. You can even put it in a Script Event!
Thread.new { system("start [url]http://http://www.snesfun.com/game.php?id=353[/url]") }
Graphics.wait(10)
exit

I laughed. I honestly laughed out loud when I saw this.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Liberty
For the record, don't add a hidden fourth option. Trust me on this. In The Here and Now of Yesterday, someone made a puzzle with a hidden fourth option (as in you have to cancel to get the right option). While it was a really neat idea, it tripped up a lot of players - so much so that that room is one of the places where people just get stuck and can't go forward.

Man, that wasn't even supposed to be "trippy"! It was just supposed to be a reference to Planescape - Torment, but, I just did it in a really dumb way like all my references are!
author=InfectionFiles
author=Pizza
Go smoke some weed.
This is all you need.

yeah, really

In all seriousness,though... it probably won't accomplish a 'trippy' feeling in the rigid sense, but just think about typical RPG conventions and puzzle and portray them in a different way; maybe use some vivid imagery for the former (like the hero is going through some kind of Coming-Of-Age story and he sees an undesirable future or some really twisted shit). Basically, think outside of the box. From some of the stuff you've listed, though (Time Cycles Flows Differently/Multistable Perception/A Shepard–Risset glissando) you seem to have a good idea of what you want. Just experiment with these concepts however you want and you're good.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
How about creating a regular RPG? That would subvert the expectations of those looking for a trippy game. Done and dusted.
Pages: first 12 next last