FUCK CHRISTMAS

@Corfaisus This is why I'm a big fan of the "Christmas should be everyday" theme I've seen in some Christmas movies. It's just a great message that I wish more people listened to.

I don't celebrate Christmas but pretty much all of my family does. One of the few times of the year I see them and what a mess that is!

One year I got a pill box. Another year I got 3 Snuggies.

It's an interesting time of year, if nothing else. I kind of regret misplacing that pill box now that it'd be useful, and the Snuggies are hella comfortable. Did you know you can chain 2 Snuggies together and have little cocoon of warmth? Or you can just wear them backwards and have a robe.

I suppose I'm just lukewarm about Christmas, same with most holidays. The things I get salty about v rarely have anything to do with the holidays themselves.

Krampus is pretty interesting. Merry Shitscram!
I love Christmas for many reasons. But one of them is that I can actually give some gifts to children without some people looking at me weirdly. It's like, Oh gee, I wonder if being generous warrants to be like the center of attention when it's not a holiday. It's like some people think I have ulterior motives or some cash grab or whatever.

Another thing is that it gives me an excuse to send gifts to some of my friends and not reject since 'tis the season. ;~;

Oh and I can cook some food that I usually don't have the chance to and get to eat dad's fruit salad which is like once in a blue moon occurence. :D
author=AlphaOmega247
I made some Christmas cookies today. Well, "cookie." Something went horribly wrong and when it came out of the oven, it was one giant cookie, about 1 centimeter thick, burnt to a crisp in places, while the rest was just bubbling pustules. Needed a chisel to get it off the baking sheet. I've made these cookies before; I followed the recipe exactly. I double checked EVERYTHING. I have no idea what went wrong. Boo.

slightly too close together on the baking tray? this has happened to me before.
I did my usual spacing when putting the dough onto the sheet, and it's not uncommon for the finished cookies to be touching each other when they're out of the oven, but I've NEVER had them all merge into one giant mess of a cookie. My mom thinks I might have softened the butter too much. I think the oven was possessed by anti-cookie demons.
Christmas is awesome! Funnily enough I ask my students if they're excited about christmas coming and not a single one said yes.
But yeah, while it's awesome, it can be pretty shitty as well. I love all the food, and the intent of being actually together. It's nice. But that annoying family (especially when it's your mother's boyfriend's family) is grating.

Thing is, most of my family have already passed away, my mother and grandmother don't get along either. So I kinda get to pick, me and mom, or me and grandma. I generally spend christmas with mom (and my brother), but in the following day I celebrate it with grandma. Nonetheless, they are generally very enjoyable days.

Still, I also dream of the day I'll have an actual partner, someone who takes it seriously, and we decorate our christmas tree together. Celebrate christmas in our own house, inviting all our families for a homely feast. (I love to cook, too, so this is nice.)
I was raised in a decidedly lower class household. No mom or dad either. But despite that, my grandma did her best to cover that up and give us a normal christmas every year. I never realized till I got much older how much worse off we were than how it looked. And how much she sacrificed to get us things we wanted. She was a god damn trooper, that woman. And I have nothing but respect for her.

But now that I'm an adult, christmas doesn't mean anything to me. I don't have any significant others, no family to celebrate with. I certainly don't enjoy the way the media hypes it up, nor do I enjoy hearing the same christmas songs repeatedly at work till I lose my sanity.

To those who enjoy the holiday and have loved ones to celebrate it with, great. But for me, in this stage of my life, christmas is just another day. I'll probably spend it catching up on work, haha.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=AlphaOmega247
I did my usual spacing when putting the dough onto the sheet, and it's not uncommon for the finished cookies to be touching each other when they're out of the oven, but I've NEVER had them all merge into one giant mess of a cookie. My mom thinks I might have softened the butter too much. I think the oven was possessed by anti-cookie demons.

I agree with your mother. This can also happen if you use self-rising flour that's been kept near heat or isn't quite new from the store. I never use self-rising flour. It's really not that hard to use a teaspoon of yeast and let it rise for an hour or so.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
What Skie said basically, very poor family & as an adult now with no SO or anything Christmas is just a time of year I can get a good deal on something I want. Though I'll probably buy my nephew something since he's three & Christmas is still amazing for him.

Actually I think I'm even working Christmas... I should probably find out haha. Those fucking Christmas songs though ugh.
author=Tau
Those fucking Christmas songs though ugh.

The best use for Christmas songs.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Word, Kiana. My favorite Christmas music for about 10 years now. I feel the way about them normal people feel about Christmas music.
author=pianotm
I agree with your mother. This can also happen if you use self-rising flour that's been kept near heat or isn't quite new from the store. I never use self-rising flour. It's really not that hard to use a teaspoon of yeast and let it rise for an hour or so.
The flour is on the other side of the kitchen from the stove and I don't think it was old. So it must have been the butter. After all Mommy is never wrong.

author=Tau
Actually I think I'm even working Christmas... I should probably find out haha. Those fucking Christmas songs though ugh.
I wouldn't be surprised if I had to go in Christmas night. The store is going to wiped out and the shelves aren't going to restock themselves.
Christmas makes me unbearably sad for a multitude of reasons, and in recent years I have found myself unable to un-see the vast amounts of consumerism and commercialization of it to be able to fully enjoy it.

However I will forever be all over the excess amounts of chocolate and Christmas dinner, since dang do I ever like stuffing and roasted root vegetables. <3 <3 <3
I never have to worry about Xmas, since I'm not Christian. :D
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I'm a royal Grinch and since the people I live with are bratty and awful Christmas is just a miserable holiday for me. I'm planning to move out next year, so this will hopefully be the last time I have to deal with it.

But yeah, I dislike the idea of having to give well-thought out gifts and not really getting it in return (because these kids obviously don't give a shit), the fact that there's zero consideration for how much money I'm able to spend, etc.

In Australia it's during the warmest period of the year but we have Northern foods in the shelves which are full of fat/warming, which makes no fucking sense and directly conflicts with that whole 'beach bod' mentality. It's generally just a horrible time of year, and moral-wise Christmas isn't good for anyone. Ruldolph's story pisses me off more and more every fucking year.
Last year I had to work until the 23rd, and then again on the 26th to 30th. And I'm a teacher. IN WHAT PLANET DO STUDENTS GO TO LANGUAGE SCHOOLS BETWEEN CRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS

EDIT: Granted, I'm working on a new school now, and now I'll have a 17-day holiday <3

EDIT: Oh, also, yeah, I fucking hate the heat. It's disgusting. That, and christmas is the first day on a heatfest that goes mid-january. (and it's already casi-unbearable.)

so guess what????????????????????????????????????????

I HATE SUMMER
author=JosephSeraph
Last year I had to work until the 23rd, and then again on the 26th to 30th. And I'm a teacher. IN WHAT PLANET DO STUDENTS GO TO LANGUAGE SCHOOLS BETWEEN CRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS

Haha that's hilarious.

My family don't buy gifts, though we do have a big meal. A few days off work/school is always good no matter what, though I'm not really looking forward to it this year since it means it'll be close to Chinese New Year. I dread the thought of gathering at my aunt's house and discussing what I'm currently doing now now that I'm out of HS... :(
I like Christmas. My family doesn't waste a ton of money, but it's fun to put up yearly decorations and get together. I think Christmas is a lot harder for those of us with tense family situations. It can be a very tough time when you feel disconnected, and many people spiral into depression. So find what "family" you can; friends and those close to you who are your true family.

-flap